border STRANGEST STRANGER [🐇] ???

UKALEK

Prince with a Thousand Enemies
May 28, 2024

Covered in mud, he says his goodbye to the two hospitable barn-cats and makes way to the moor. Despite their warnings, Ukalek is curious about these ‘clan’ cats. They sounded almost like his old home in the way they worked together to protect and defend their territory. What if this is where the sun had been leading him? What if this was where he was meant to be? Ukalek doesn’t know in the slightest if they’ll take him in or what they’d require from him, but this could be the beginning of something new. As sad as it’d be for his adventures to cease his paws were tired, it was growing time.

Whiskers quiver as his nose inhales the increasingly strong scent of heather as he moves through the tall grass. The pungent smell of feline tickles his senses and cause the fur along his spine to ripple. This was a scent line, no doubt about it, all too familiar with those to dare cross it. He’d not want to be mauled before he got the chance to investigate them and plead his case.

He pokes his head out from the long grass, doing what he could to make his presence obvious. Being a former territorial cat himself, he guesses it would not be long until a stranger came across him. He wonders if they’d be as big and burly as he was picturing in his head, scarred and ragged like many cats back in the mountains were. His claws flex into the dirt worried that they may opt to pick a fight with him before given a chance to move his tongue, he’d have to be prepared.

The sound of grass being crunched under paw alerts him of someone drawing near. ”Hello?” He meows to make himself known and to ensure he does not startle them. ”Is this… WindClan? The two cats at your… ‘horse-place’ told me about you.” Would that put them at ease? Or prickle their pelts further? ”I wish to know about you. My paws are tired from traveling. If I were to be a good fit- if you’d approve of me, I could lend myself to you.”
  • » Ukalek
    » Loner
    » He/him . AFAB
    » An oriental-featured chocolate point with unusual blue eyes
    » ”Speech”thoughtsattack
  • » A poor fighter who uses his wits to trick his opponents.
    » Excels in smarts and using it to get his opponents where he wants them.
    » Fights defensively and at the order of his leader..
    » May powerplay minor harm. Can powerplay healing

꙳•❅* The first WindClanner to greet the stranger isn’t big nor burly, but he sure is a WindClanner. Frostwind slips from a tunnel during a routine patrol, and to his surprise he’s met with the scent of a stranger upon the territory. Its trail leads him right to the outsider—but when he finds the trespasser, the moor runner is surprised to find that he isn’t trespassing at all. Oh, well, he might as well get the pleasantries started before this guy inevitably gets chased off. "Hello," he echoes the outsider’s call, icy eyes falling upon them with suspicion. DuskClan is his first thought, and there’s a moment where his heart tears free of its place and ricochets wildly about his chest with a sudden burst of adrenaline. Monochrome paws twitch and tap, but they settle once more as he realizes that there will be no fight.

The other cat shares his goals, rather forthright for a stranger, and Frostwind’s eyes narrow. Why does this outsider want to join their clan at all—and why does he think he could do anything for WindClan in return? What could they possibly want from him? "And where’d you come from? Not the horseplace, and certainly not here." He nearly snorts at the idea of this cat coming from WindClan’s moors—there’s not a chance. "Somebody go grab Sunstar," he says to whichever warrior approaches from behind him. Their scarred leader had taken to letting barn cats join, since they’d helped him fight off Sootstar. But this guy? Definitely not a barn cat, if the horseplace is so novel to him that saying its name requires such obvious uncertainty.

• ooc:
  • 53394272_1siaxxi8SpjpePX.png
    FROSTWIND ❯❯ he/him, tunneler of windclan
    scruffy black and white tom with icy eyes. sly and calculating.
    son of scorchstreak and badgermoon ; brother to scorchstorm, luckypaw, rumblerain
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted
    penned by foxlore

Ukalek's nose twitches as he sets eyes on his first clan cat. A small tom-cat with scruffy black and white fur. Piercing eyes meet his observant blue, he looks the stranger up and down to take in every inch of fur on his dirt-strained pelt. 'Hello' "Hello."

Not the horseplace, no, no, he shakes his head in confirmation. "I come from far away. A land of rock and snow. The peaks in the distance look quite similar to where I'm from." He points his nose towards mother mouth, referencing the rocky hills that lay beyond. "I am called Ukalek." He introduces politely, a daint smile curving on his lips.

Sunstar? "That is the name they spoke of." He muses, "They spoke fondly. I'd be grateful to speak with him."
  • » Ukalek
    » Loner
    » He/him . AFAB
    » ”Speech”thoughtsattack

"Why should we bother Sunstar? We should just drive this riffraff from our moorland." Bluefrost ascends from a nearby tunnel, dust running down her pelt in gray-brown rivulets. The warrior's green eyes are narrowed into slits as they flick over the trespasser's silhouette. Mud-stained, chocolate-pointed, with guileless blue eyes and a strange smile wreathed across his muzzle, Bluefrost immediately does not trust him. She flicks her tail, beckoning her apprentice to step forward, and comes to stand beside young Frostwind.

She sighs, after a moment. Sunstar is not Sootstar. And she remembers his tales, he and Wolfsong hailing from a world of rock and snow, of ice and salt and howling gales. Perhaps Sunstar would entertain this grizzled rogue. Bluefrost turns to Brackenpaw and says, her voice curt, "Go back to camp. Bring Sunstar straight here. Run as swiftly as you are able to." Her tone brooks no argument.

In my mother's time, you would have the fur torn from your pelt without even a moment to scream. Your last breath would be choked with your blood. She thinks this without emotion, studying the cat who calls himself Ukalek with unnerving, unblinking green eyes.

• ooc: telling @Brackenpaw to fetch @SUNSTAR
  • 69334192_7vVwuq2U19bWMTh.png
  • Bluekit . Bluepaw . Bluefrost, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 16 moons old, ages realistically on the 14th.
    — mentored by Sootstar ; mentoring Brackenpaw ; previously mentored n/a.
    — windclan warrior. sootstar x weaselclaw, gen 2.
    — penned by Marquette.

lh blue smoke she-cat with white and emerald eyes. aloof, dignified, poised, haughty, composed, distant.

Last edited by a moderator:

"As if we didn't have enough freaks back at camp" a disgruntled meow comes out of Firefang as she approaches, her eyes are narrowed on this 'Ukalek' he whose eyes reflect the placid sky and stare right through them. She comes to stand besides Bluefrost, passing Brackenpaw a glance as the apprentice likely scampers off to find their hobbling leader. This tom would be another mouth to feed and as she looks him over he doesn't seem the intimidating type, he was lanky all legs matched with a slim body and a delicate face. He may make for a fine enough hunter but she doubts he would fair well when the other clans bore down on the moors hungering for their blood. If he'd been travelling on his own then surely he knew how to fend for himself, it wasn't like he was another useless barn cat or worse a kittypet. But he was still a stranger and she doesn't trust him as far as she can toss him.

She narrows her eyes at him, he really was an odd fellow and as much as her instincts and old teachings urged her to fling herself at him and chase him away she was curious about him all the same. Why travel here, what had the barn-cats said to inspire him to settle here of all places? She's sure they have spun many tall tales. "You know barely anything about us, why are you so curious? Why would you want to settle here of all places?" her head tilts to the side and she steps closer, still eyeing him suspiciously.

A scrutinising yet curious gaze is what can be found as Brackenpaw peers her head out from around the tunnel, squinting as they try to adjust to the difference in lighting. The dust of the tunnel clung harshly against the white of her calico pelt. They huff at Bluefrosts words as they ascend from the nearby tunnel, glaring at the newcomer. He wasn’t a barncat, so that put him in the mystery category for them, they already didn’t like much but a mystery was detested. Fern green eyes glance over at Bluefrost as she is beckoned, they remember her stance on loners and the recollection places them on edge.

Bluefrost is met with a sneer “Really? Me?” They ask exasperated, there’s a threat to a bite in her words and yet she can’t seem to muster it. She could read the room enough to understand Bluefrost’s tone wasn’t going to let them weasel out of this. Instead they glare at the chocolate pointed loner one more time before storming off to go find Sunstar. The running was mostly to burn off steam more so than any actual sense of urgency as she muttered any insult that they could possibly think of for both her mentor and the stranger that was the catalyst for having her meet with the WindClan leader. By the time she knows that she is within earshot of Sunstar she silences her insults, not wanting to have a conversation about respect on top of this.

“Bluefrost told me to get you. There’s some weirdo wanting to speak with you?" Theres confusion in her tone as she simply just didn’t understand why someone would want to hear this guy out. With out another word she turns to return with her chest heaving as she does so. As she leads Sunstar back to the group she decides to keep their insults to themself so they could remain private.

• ooc. Fetching Sunstar! Figured there was no need to double tag but let me know if I should do that in the future <3
  •  
  • BIOGRAPHY
    they/she, tunneler apprentice of Windclan, 7 moons (ages on the 22nd)
    a lithe and fragile looking calico that looks like they still need to grow into her ears
    Speech, thoughts, attacking
    NPC x NPC, mentored by Bluefrost
    easy to befriend other kits, gradually harder to befriend every rank after that
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by Juice ↛ @/ouijeejuice on discord, feel free to dm for plots.
    All opinions are IC!! Bracken is a little hater

Reactions: Firefang
speaking color is #BBE8EF

KITEPAW. AND HOW CAN WE WIN WHEN FOOLS CAN BE KINGS? † ☼
𖤓 ✟ —— kitepaw does not offer the same sort of outward disrespect and bluntness towards the stranger, but he does harbor curiosity… confusion. standoffish, though he does not mean to do so. "ukalek," he says to himself, echoing the cat's introduction. it was an odd name, and he finds himself wondering what it could mean. what an 'ukalek' was. soon brackenpaw leaves to retrieve sunstar, and the group of cats find themselves waiting. rudeness, sharp tongues…. albeit cautious, kitepaw tries to offer conversation slightly friendlier than the others… giving voice to the questions he couldn't wonder anymore. "what is a… ukalek? some sort of herb? a bird of sorts?" he couldn't quite fathom it having any deeper meaning than some sort of noun or something within commonplace of daily life. and he could only imagine what it must be like deep within the mountains… was he from the same place he’d heard stories of his clanmates traveling? surely there weren’t more mountains out there, as big and wide as they stood nearby the lands. surely they couldn’t leave enough space for a second pair.

he hopes his question isn't too awkward, more so among the hostility of the rest of the patrol…. though it couldn't be more so than simply standing wordlessly and waiting for brackenpaw's return, preferably with sunstar in tow. kitepaw knew to be suspicious of outsiders, but the one here seems to have… little intention of stirring up trouble… at least in the present, and if he did, it'd be plain stupid as outnumbered as he was. going as far as to respect the border so blatantly, kitepaw cannot see the intentions being too malicious…. though perhaps he was too young and too naive to know better… his only true experience with the clan less were the barn cats… and if ukalek knew of them, well…? surely he could not be that dangerous.

• KITEPAW he/him, moor-runner apprentice of windclan, 7.5 moons old
    average sized tomcat with light cream tabby markings. he has a white chest and half face. his fur is a medium length and he has large whiskers. his eyes are a light blue.
    ⭃ highly religious, stubborn and hard-working, kindhearted and charismatic, honest, diligent, foolish and impulsive when frustrated, will speak out when something feels unjust.
    open to minor and minor nonviolent powerplay / / underline and tag when attacking ⇌ see his bio here
    penned by @DOFFERZ!doffloppa on discord, feel free to dm for plots. template credit to vayle.

Gehd0qH.png

Brackenpaw never ceases to awe him with her brazenness. He thinks briefly on what Bluefrost had said — if she had spoken to Sootstar this way, she would have been grievously punished. As she approaches him, he cannot help but think bizarrely the same. She is casual. Confused. Without any deferential language or even a tilt to her head. It is enough to make him smile so strangely at the intrusion. Nearly a laugh, the first he's felt close to in some time. But rather than explain himself for this, Sunstar simply rises to his paws and follows. (This too is strange, to trek peacefully behind an apprentice without urgency or violence. It is almost good, he briefly thinks.)

Before he gets so close that he might see through the throng of his WindClanners into the root of their interest, he calls out, "Brackenpaw warns me you have found some weirdo," in a light, glittering tone. And then, upon closing in a little more, it dissipates. Not to violence or fear, not even disgust — a faint, distant curiosity settles him to stone. He truly looks upon the stranger. A lean creature of two tones, eyes that he cannot quite parse. A distant memory if nothing else. He looks quite like the mountains. His mind wanders along that thought without destination or answer for long a moment until he stirs himself to speech. "I do not know you as either a rogue or a loner– what brings you to this clan?"
EpC61GT.png

• ooc:
  • ↟ 𝐒𝐔𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑.  ╱  AMAB  HE - HIM - HIS.  LEADER OF WINDCLAN.    ⋆̶̬́̀
    ————  a rogue brought to windclan in a search for greatness, one of sootstar's most loyal warriors turned into her downfall. with a mate and kits to worry about, and now nine lives from starclan with a missing limb, windclan's leader has a lot to prove.

82190121_9CSsSGfEk2LJ5dF.png
    a large chocolate and white rosette tom with seaglass eyes. the first thing many see when looking at sunstar now is not his proud posture or un-windclan build, but the scarred stump that remains of his front left leg. a wound that would have killed most other cats took one of his lives; not even starclan could repair it.

The blue she-cat seems to appear out of thin air. Ukalek blinks in surprise as he tries to figure out where she came from when another cat emerges through the reeds. Both eye him down skeptically and challenge him with questions. He's use to this level of hostility from territory-owning cats, again, he was once among them. Challengers in the mountains would've been attacked and killed, if need be, it impresses him they've kept their claws sheathed. He almost finds them to be polite in comparison to the barbaric groups he's stumbled upon.

"Why not? What isn't there to be curious about?" He meows, wide blue eyes meeting flaming amber. "I've ran into many groups in my time. All the same. Your clan and the four you share this forest with, not so much." Yes, they were an unusual case... Tolerating other groups so close to their own, sharing similar ideals and beliefs, yes, the barn cats told him.

"You've sized me up. You know I'm more skin and bone than muscle." He hopes to help plead his case, but he does not appear desperate. No, as much as he wants to win over these cats they must prove themselves to him, too. Picky Ukalek is with the future group he will dedicate his moons to, he will not accept just any lowly cluster of rogues. He will not inform him of this though, it's better for his odds they think he desires them. "But I am capable of holding my own. Calculated. Intelligent. I can run faster than the hares I've heard you hunt, guaranteed."

A younger feline repeats his name on their tongue, asks what it means. "Herb? No. It represents my youth and build..." He'd love to indulge further, but there is further rustling in the green.

It is then a large tom-cat appears, bright orange bearing chocolate spotting. One of his front limbs was entirely missing, but it doesn't stop Ukalek from remembering. He thinks of a time where he still laid at his mother's belly, a curious and bright-eyed kit. This was the prince that had been promised in the mountains, until his own father took that crown away. How surprising it was to see him here, albeit a different name, but new crown intact.

There's recognition in his eyes. "No, you wouldn't. You'd only know me as a kit." He smiles, "Sunnvar. Our leader to-be, until you weren't." There is no mockery in his voice, he states it as it was. "I am the son of your once comrades, Gǫllnir and Ylva. Ukalek, young hare of the mountains. I was small when you left, you remember?" His brown tail flicks upwards, more than pleased with this discovery. "I was raised being told I'd be among your first generation of soldiers. Perhaps that is still in my destiny..."
  • » Ukalek
    » Loner
    » He/him . AFAB
    » ”Speech”thoughtsattack

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Marquette
He is far-off as Ukalek speaks. Younger as well, though no kit still at his mother's belly. A proud warrior, heated as flame. Prepared to do anything for his father and the colony that he led. Amidst an argument with him, both of their words striking hammer blows into the cold mountain earth. He remembers the wide berth others had given them at the time, and the slow reintegration into their paths. Ellisif, as always, the first to his side even as he blustered and raged against the cat that he idolized. It was a difficult thing, to love and to hate the same cat. And one that had raised him, nonetheless. Does Ukalek recall the hours of their anger? The pleading that Sunnvar had tore from his own wounded insides to pledge himself to a cat unbending from the path of disastrous diplomacy? Or the coldness of his own departure– perhaps that was far worse still. A firm decision that he would not return.

How long ago had this cat made the same decision? There is grief at this realization. Another cat that his father had lost, through his own foolishness or perhaps something else entirely. (Did it feel like this? Funerals for all that he cared for?)

He dos not linger in this thought for long. A laugh splits his face to a sun-warmed grin, and he cries: "Ukalek! Yes, I remember the celebration of your birth." Each one was a treasure among such inhospitable places. Another warrior to his father's name, to his as he would follow, and more glory to their clan with it. To live was to fight, and to fight they needed many. In this ashen moorland, a wall before him and the familiarity of his mate, he has never felt further from the traditions of his homeland and all of its strengths. Loss surrounded him until it became him. Even before his clanmates, Sunnvar relishes in its return. "Your fate has brought you to mine once more– surely you will be welcome, then. Come, come, tell me all of your travels. You will meet your new clan as we return."
EpC61GT.png

• ooc:
  • ↟ 𝐒𝐔𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑.  ╱  AMAB  HE - HIM - HIS.  LEADER OF WINDCLAN.    ⋆̴͖̻̌͛⋆̵̼͈̐̿̓̏͝ ⋆̶̬́̀
    ————  a rogue brought to windclan in a search for greatness, one of sootstar's most loyal warriors turned into her downfall. with a mate and kits to worry about, and now nine lives from starclan with a missing limb, windclan's leader has a lot to prove.

82190121_9CSsSGfEk2LJ5dF.png
    a large chocolate and white rosette tom with seaglass eyes. the first thing many see when looking at sunstar now is not his proud posture or un-windclan build, but the scarred stump that remains of his front left leg. a wound that would have killed most other cats took one of his lives; not even starclan could repair it.