private subtle grace of gravity .. goldenkit

Living in the nursery had opened up a different view of handling kittens compared to when she would eagerly kitsit for an hour or two. Being a queen was much like the life of a warrior, where the duties of your title did not end just because your paws were set back in camp. Or in her case, the lifestyle began whether or not her kits had even arrived.

She had some good teachers for the most part, helping her prepare for their arrival. Apricotflower was a wonderful shoulder to lean on when she felt particularly stressed or exhausted, so easily calming the new mother down with a few gentle words. Willowroot, who had her own litter in the heart of leafbare, had offered her own kind words of reassurance. My kits will be strong. Over and over, she hadn't even realized how often she said it.

"Goldenkit, that's my tail silly." She smiled at the young molly, trying to lift her fluffy tail out of Goldenkit's grasp. Her paw reached for a piece of mossy bedding close by, resting them on the soft patina green surface to give some relief to her ankles. "What happened to exploring outside today? Too cold?"

-- @goldenkit !!

☼°⋆ — The queens in Goldenkit's life had been a revolving door of different fates, from her own mother's status being tangled with confusion and open-endedness, to the queen who had taken care of her then soon fell ill. In RiverClan, most queens left the nursery with their apprenticed kits, but Goldenkit wasn't used to still seeing them out and about in camp. It was still a rotating list of cats she shared a den with. Except this time it was far less distressing to watch them move out.

She didn't get why some cats were worried about kits being born in this season. She was a kit in leafbare, and they'd be kits in leafbare. Maybe if they ate a lot of fish they'd grow bigger faster and be able to not get as cold. Even with her own fluffy pelt, it was a particularly chilly day, and she found herself sticking around inside the nursery rather than going outside to play in the frost. Restless, Goldenkit had stopped walking laps to bat at Hazecloud's tail, hoping she wouldn't notice. Until she did, much quicker than Goldenkit expected. Pupils wide, she looked up at the queen, before realizing her smile and giving a toothy grin of her own.

"Too chilly," she agreed. "I don't wanna get bit by the cold!" Frostbite had been a warning now, especially around the water, but she was still on the lookout for it on land as well. "Nobody wants to do anything right now too..." She sighed, looking down at her paws. Though most mischief was out of her league, she wasn't above trying to get pity. "What d'ya do when you're bored?"

A gentle 'hmm' thrummed from the queens chest in a rumbling purr at Goldenkits confirmation. The air was far too nippy for the little kit, and why ignore the option to remain cozy in the softness of the nursery while she still could? Far too soon from now Goldenkit would be tasked to remain out in the fields and patrolling the borders no matter rain, shine or snow. Hazecloud was glad to see she was taking in all the moments of relief she could before then.

"I'll make sure you don't get frostbite. No chilly paws or noses when I'm around." She offered for her to press against her side with a shift of her front legs, finding some of the other kittens enjoyed sitting right beneath the warmth of her belly. If she had known what they were she would have started calling them little penguins. At Goldenkits inquiry Hazecloud would tilt her head in thought, wondering exactly when the last time she was ever bored had been. Life as a warrior was paced much faster than a kittens, and surprisingly a queens life was much the same.

"Whenever I'm bored, I dream." The silky-furred molly finally answered after a short stretch of silence. "For a kit, you're probably daydreaming about all the fun you'll have training. Getting to see all the the grass and trees outside of camp. Learning to swim and hunt. You don't do that when you're bored?"