private sunlit autumn l flamewhisker

JAYWISH

jaypaw
Sep 11, 2022

The sky has descended into long stripes of purple and orange by the time that Flamewhisker and Jaypaw are returning to camp. Jay stretches, yawning along as they near camp, and though he feels beat, he also feels like he made some great progress. He feels stronger and a bit more knowledgeable than yesterday and running around working up some warmth is better than shivering in camp. Each day is a firm step forward after the initial hiccups in his learning and he's doing pretty well so far for someone who was only a starving house cat merely two months ago. The patchy apprentice hops up onto a log, walking side by side with his mentor as the sun finally begins disappearing behind the fluffy tree line. "Next time, I'll catch it! My claws were this close." In the past, he would have felt down about failing at a hunt but he's learning (slowly) to take what he can get. His paws coasted the prey's wings and that's far closer than scaring it off before he even got near it like he used to. Jay smiles down at his mentor like it's a promise. He's sure that his next attempt will have him carrying a juicy wood pigeon back into camp.

He's imagining that and even has enough energy to hop over a pile of slick leaves on the trunk's surface. As his paws plop back on the other side, he looks up as the stars start emerging in the sky. His eyes focus on the north star and slowly his smile weakens and his paws stop in place. Jay stares up in silence, his eyes tracing the different constellations, before turning to look back to Flame with trouble in his deep blues. "Flame... Do... kittypets get to go to Starclan too?" He tries to make it sound like a casual question (though it's very important to him) but there's clear melancholy in his tone that he just can't shake. He'd only ever learned about Starclan since joining Thunderclan and in every context, it's always clanners that get the honor of going.

@Flamewhisker
[ I'M THE HERO THAT SAVES ME ]