sweet little bumblebee — bringing prey

Aug 14, 2023
just because i carry it so well doesn't mean it's not heavy .
︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶
He noticed the dreary atmosphere, frowning subtly at malnourished frames, and couldn’t help but notice his own. It was why he barely had time to do anything but slip through unfamiliar terrain in search of something for the clan that had taken him in. He couldn’t sit idly, shaking from pent-up energy, tossing questions at unsuspecting warriors with downcast eyes, always willing to learn.

It was why he asked to go out with them hunting. The clan needed every viable body. He didn’t mind keeping to the back, out of sight, out of mind, right? He wasn’t much to look at, scary even. He snorted. Lux would be a good story to tell kits into listening.

Lux stumbled back, carrying a vole tight within his grasp, tail flickering. His odd optics twitched, breathing in a mouthful of vole that made his stomach rumble, twisting in knots. He huffed. He was used to the mind-numbing hunger even before he asked to join. Nothing much changed, unless he counted the various bodies he had to remember which wasn’t too hard. He might be an idiot, but he never forgot a face.

He tossed the vole in the fresh-kill pile, lacking, but Lux was determined to at least catch something else that the rouges hadn’t stolen. Something he hadn’t been aware of until recently. He winced. He sure did luck out, huh?

The cream-ticked tabby settled some lengths away with a tired sigh, wobbling until he settled, muscles relaxing. He hummed, tapping his tail. He had gotten into a scuffle with a rogue earlier, nearly getting crushed if it wasn’t for his poorly planned escape plan—grab and run. He nearly face-planted then, but he managed to sneak away before the other realized he was gone. “I wonder if I should—” He muttered, helm cocked, staring at the feeble prey pile. It looked sad. “Should I go out again?” He finished, odd optics crinkling in worry. No. No. He needed to be learning—Was he doing enough?

He barely had time to rest his eyes. Lux didn’t mind that part too much. He never really was a good sleeper, bubbling with energy and having no way of letting it out unless he wanted to get kicked around by the other roaming cats and twolegs. Nevermind that. He shouldn’t be resting.
thought speech

Lux was learning, and Twitchbolt naturally kept an eye upon him. Anyone new was worth being wary of, at least for the first few weeks- even before Blazestar had changed his law, he'd always kept his eye on outsiders. On ex-kittypets for any inherited naivety, or on rogues for any savage treachery. Lux was not immune to this suspicion, though he was learning- though he was making an effort. Seeing the scarred tom bring in a vole, a fluttering blink of relief drifted over his gaze.

Being watchful, though... out-loud musings found a way of snaking their way into his ears. Once Twitchbolt might have discovered going out again, of overworking- but now he, too, was run through with worry about starvation, the food problem, the blood-stained fangs of rogues carelessly scattering shredded bits of prey. He quivered as he approached, though there was a hardy determination in wide eyes of olive-green, amber-flecked. The spark of his heterochromia looked almost as if he'd burst a blood vessel in his stressing.

"If you're going, I'll come too," he murmured. Skipped meals meant the hunger was gnawing at him like teeth, and his mind didn't wind down a sympathetic path, as it might have done on a better day.
penned by pin ✧

Last edited:
just because i carry it so well doesn't mean it's not heavy .
︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶
The cream-ticked tabby hummed, nodding in agreement, pulling himself out of his musings. “Sure! Maybe we’ll have better luck.” He grinned, optics crinkling. It seemed he didn’t need to worry too much, lanky frame coming to a halt, stretching half-heartedly.

“Are you alright? Well—I mean with everything that’s happening? I’m sure it isn’t easy on you guys.” He inquired, hobbling on three legs toward the camp’s entrance. “I came at a bad time, huh? But I’m glad I get to help!” He hummed, bobbing his head with a childish chirp.

The lack of prey was normal for the loner, sometimes going days without eating wasn’t all that new to him. It’s almost as if he never left the Twolegs place, but he did, of course, being surrounded by wild cats wasn’t normal where he was holed up. He chuckled, shaking his helm.
thought speech

NETTLEKIT ♂
RIVERCLAN
KITTEN
TWO MOONS
BIOGRAPHY AND TAGS
APPRENTICED TO NONE
PLAYED BY SHEOGORATH

He smells the fresh vole, and his mouth waters. The RiverClan kit pauses what he had been initially doing, batting a fallen leaf around, and now heads toward the fresh-kill pile, guided by his sharp nose despite his blinded eyes. He scents the two SkyClan cats, hears their traded words, and an energetic envy trickles through his paws. He wanted to hunt, too. He wanted to help make sure RiverClan was alright. As Lux and Twitchbolt head toward the camp exit, Nettlekit intercepts them with long tail raised.

"I'm going, too!" The sightless tom states with determination. Immediately, his mind concocts a devious plan. "My name's Nettlepaw, RiverClan apprentice." He lies easily, smoothly, and he hopes it's enough.

The only reason why he has even bothered to get up and leave the nursery at all is because if his brother. He tries to stick close to him and at least makes sure he is okay. The fight with Carawaykit has him slightly worried about things but it appears that the waves of disdain have passed. Huffing softly the tom makes his way closer to the Skyclan warriors, nose twitching at their smell. He gives a gentle wave of his tail till he actually hears what his brother says. A lot pulls through his mind and he glances to his brother, murky water colored orbs narrowing slightly. His brother wants to go hunting but he isn't sure that is a very good idea. What if he gets caught? Will his apprentice ceremony be taken away. He doesn't want that and because of that the young tom finds his maw moving. "Nettle....not yet. Next moon is...is our time." Eyes glimmering he is excited about the prospect as he smiles lightly. Or what appears as a smile for him.

• ooc : — ​

• bristlekit - tom / 2 moons old / riverclan kit / aspiring warrior

Off they went, stress buried in Twitchbolt's gut as far down as he could get it. Down, down, down- so it'd be forgotten at least while he was running errands, and then bob to the surface later when he was trying to sleep. "It's good to have you," he said, and he wasn't lying to be polite. Though he fixed every outsider with a close, suspicious eye for the first few weeks they walked alongside Skyclanners, the scarred tom was beginning to prove himself worth not assembling a conspiracy about. Twitchbolt hadn't seen Lux murder anyone yet. In fact, he seemed quite affable. "Y'know, it's- stressful. I'm sure-"

Before he could finish his train of thought, though- a small body thrusted its way in front of them, a living barricade of a kitten- or, an apprentice apparently (how young did RiverClan start their training?), demanding to come along. Unsure, Twitchbolt drawled, "Uhhhhhh..." as he glanced around for any sign of Nettlepaw's mentor. Another apprentice- no, a kitten, this one-said not yet, though. It was then that Twitchbolt realised he had almost bee duped, well and truly, by what had to be a two moon old.

Stress had to be decaying his mind, there was no other explanation for it. Or maybe he just wasn't expecting the lie to come out of that kit so easily. Either way, he fixed a gaze that might as well have been a grumble in its grumpiness upon Nettlekit and murmured, "Nice try."
penned by pin ✧