sensitive topics the bird song fades ♡ death

wrenflutter

continue to love ♡ 10/25/2023
Feb 20, 2023
"ALWAYS"
Yellowcough was an insidious pandemic that had spread through the territories, and Wrenflutter had caught it like many others in Thunderclan. The time passed, and she felt herself get weaker. And yet, the trigger to her increase in fading was the death of one of her kits. She'd been too ill even to see his vigil, so say goodbye to her gentle little Dovepaw. The grief sunk deep into her spirit, and despite her attempts to remain longer for the rest of her litter and sisters, she could admit she was giving up in the quiet of her mind. Her health was declining, the grief seeming to almost speed it along. Most days, she swayed between the waking world and the world of dreams and could rarely tell one from the other. Today, while curled up in the medicine den, she saw someone in her hazy vision approach her. It was a mottled pelt of black and white, one so very familiar. “Dovepaw…?” She mustered up a small whisper, unsure if she was dreaming or not. Her sweet, soft-hearted child was beckoning her to him, and she went to follow before pausing. Her spirit lingered as her body, with half-lidded amber eyes, went lax as it died. She looked forward, noting the starlight upon her son’s fur. She smiled and followed him to the stars. She’d miss them, her sisters, and her children. But they had each other and Thunderclan. They’ll be fine in time.

// sweats, so sadly, Wren's story is coming to an end here </3 I haven't felt any muse for her, but I felt wrong letting her fade into the background. This was honestly kinda emotional for me to write since I don't typically write deaths for my characters, but she needed closure even if her story wasn't given the attention it deserved on my part </3
it should be noted that this is before the rogue invasion in Thunder, so it's entirely up to ya'll if Wind is here or not I don't mind either or <3
დ ♡ დ

• Crying
Reactions: Marigoldpaw
make peace with your broken pieces .
︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶
Stepping inside, Whitelion noticed Wrenflutter’s prone frame, expression falling as he changed directions, creeping closer to the queen. “Wrenflutter?” He rumbled, giving the queen a gentle nudge of his nose to her unmoving flank.

She was dead.

Oh, Wrenflutter. He had not known the queen well, offering simple words to her of Chickadeepaw’s progress. His heart bled, thinking of his apprentice. How would she handle this?

“May you hunt with StarClan, Wrenflutter.” He whispered. Do not worry. He thought, glancing over his shoulder through the open entrance, expression solemn. I will keep an eye out for your kin. He promised.

Whitelion would make sure of it. The white-furred warrior glanced at his own resting some lengths away, nestled beneath fresh moss. He never expressed it, but he was terrified, even if he still had hope for the journey cats.

They had all suffered the fate of this plague. Unable to heal, but to wait and watch as their clanmates fell to its curse. His heart mourned, not just for Wrenflutter, but for all that they’ve lost since. He sighed, smiling warmly with a crinkled hue. “I may not have known you well.” He rumbled. “But I hope StarClan gifts you bountiful prey and peace with your son.”
thought speech

—————————————————————⊰☀︎⊱————————————————————
He came to visit the medicine cat den only briefly, not wanting to be too close to the ill cats with his kits still in the nursery and his own health at risk but Sunfreckle did still make a point to check on Berryheart the best he could. With Lichenpaw's recent death and the clan struggling along, he worried for the tortie more than he would normally given his many important duties so if he got the chance he came over with something. It was always small, moss with or without water, some prey, a feather for decoration, a plant he found that smelled nice that could be useful or could not be. Just a token, a tiny gift, anything that reminded the tom he was not alone in his endeavors even if he must feel like it at times.
Today when he steps in he hears faintly the hushed gasp of a name 'Dovepaw' and turns in time to watch Wrenflutter grow ominously still. It takes him a moment to realize what he'd just seen and the moss dripping in his maw is dropped with a startled mewl.
"Is...is she..." Whitelion speaks, voice quiet and confirms his fears. "...oh no."
How unfair, how cruel, Wrenflutter had been a resident in the nursery for so long, she had helped watch his own kits a few times as well and she'd taken in so many abandoned young to care for; another terribly painful blow to the clan because of this dreaded sickness. He feels tears prick the corners of his eyes, he turns to go find someone, to let them know, and it seemed he'd have yet another hole to dig...
What a terrible burden for now one of the clans only remaining queens.
"Someone...please. Wrenflutter is..."

•  

• 57579394_y5Qft2znjLniwSo.png
    Sunfreckle
    —⊰⋅ Lead Warrior of ThunderClan
    —⊰⋅ He/Him
    "SPEECH", 'THOUGHTS', ATTACK
    —⊰⋅ Large red tabby tom w/green eyes and no left foreleg.
    —⊰⋅ penned by Rai

Standing in the entrance to the medicine den, Tybalt let out a long, slow sigh, tail swishing anxiously. He knew Wrenflutter had been sick, and with no cure in sight, he'd worried this might happen. He stood there silently, gazing at the queen's still body, and then turned his head away. ThunderClan would miss her. Her kits would be devastated. Marigoldpaw too, Wrenflutter being the cat that had nursed him after he had been found abandoned on the territory. She had raised many kits, and for a time, Tybalt had for a time, harbored a small crush on her. Part of him still did.

"She's gone, Sunfreckle," he said flatly, padding up to stand beside the red tabby. He clenched his jaw, forcing himself to swallow any expression of grief. He would mourn her privately, where no one else could see the show of vulnerability. He preferred it that way.

Marigoldpaw had been lucky enough to not have anyone he cared about lost to Yellowcough before now, but it seems he was destined to lose any mother figures in his life. From being abandoned by his birth mother to the whims of nature until ThunderClan found him on their doorsteps, to hearing cats fretting and saying Wrenflutter’s name with sadness, he wonders just how many more cats will leave him in such a short amount of time.

As he stands next to Tybalt examining his adopted mother’s lifeless body, he’s conflicted. He’s sad, of course; they might not have been that close, but she still helped him survive when the one who birthed him refused. But at the same time, he’s numb. Death is not the end, and yet… he won’t see her again for such a long time. He almost feels like he’s been abandoned once more, and it’s hard to shake that feeling off.

Marigoldpaw grits his teeth for a moment, and then sighs sadly. “I pray you make your way to StarClan safely, Mom.” That’s all he can offer, before he’s emotionally checked out.

// OOC : OOPS TOOK FOREVER TO RESPOND BUT AAAH I’LL MISS HER!! So will Marigold even if he’s bitter 🥺