private THE BLOOD MOON AND THE BLUE — sootstar

She has not entered her mother’s den in what seems like moons—distinctly, it has never been a place for her. She had been reared in the nursery, Kestrelsnap’s weary eye hanging on her and her littermates’ pelts as they scrambled about camp. She distinctly remembers entering as a kit, tiny and curious, to ask her mother a question, and she had been received like any other visitor—like any other intruder. She feels doubly so now; every pawstep she takes is with trembling caution. She is visiting a prisoner, now, not the queen of the moorland, and court is held amongst prey bones and scraps of bloodied fur.

Sootstar,” she murmurs, dipping her head into a curtsy. The gesture hurts—bits of marigold poultice fleck away as she lifts her gaze from the floor. Somewhere outside, Sunstride lurks—but the fear she feels is not one she can rationalize away.

Silence, initially, passes between them. Bluefrost does not know what to say—does not know how to say it—but at last, she tries. “Mother, I am… I am so sorry.” She tries to hold Sootstar’s biting green gaze, viperous, and finds she cannot; it slips toward the ground again, finding her paws. Bloodstained paws. Aching paws. “I know I… I know I have failed you. I tried—” The words turn to dust on her tongue; she nearly bites it, willing herself to be quiet, to wait for her queen to screech her verdict.

• ooc: @SOOTSTAR and @SUNSTRIDE [outside]
  • 69334192_7vVwuq2U19bWMTh.png
  • Bluekit . Bluepaw . Bluefrost, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 13 moons old, ages realistically on the 14th.
    — mentored by Sootstar ; mentoring n/a ; previously mentored n/a.
    — windclan warrior. sootstar x weaselclaw, gen 2.
    — penned by Marquette.

lh blue and white she-cat with emerald eyes. aloof, dignified, poised, haughty, composed, distant.

At first she had suspected Bluefrost to be with Granitepelt or dead. Either of the later options would’ve been better than this. ”Did you? If you had tried you’d be with Granitepelt. If you had tried you’d be dead.” She hisses and shows her fangs, no warmth or pride shown in her eyes for her kit.

”You’ve all failed me, all my kits. How is it that Harrierstripe was the only one with enough of a spine to stand by his mother through her best and worst?!” Out of all her kits she had expected Bluefrost to be better. What a terrible disappointment she was, a terrible waste of time she had been.

Sootstar’s brow furrows and she shakes her head, ”I’d kill you now if I could, Bluefrost.” There’s no betrayal in her voice, she means it.
  • » SootSootstar
    » WindClan Prisoner
    » She/her ․ Mate to Weaselclaw
    » Tiny blue smoke she-cat with green eyes.
    » "Speech"thoughtsattack
  • » A high-stamina foe who can be difficult to hit.
    » Excels in quick, short moves.
    » Fights to kill and maim
    » Fatal attack of choice is an underbelly dive.
    » May powerplay minor harm. Can powerplay healing

• Crying
Reactions: Marquette
Her mother’s vitriol does not surprise her, but her ears flatten, her eyelids slipping halfway over the green orbs of her eyes. “I know. I should have died, but they—they spared me,” she murmurs. Useless words—Sootstar does not want to hear them, she knows. This could be their final moment together before—before Sunstride does whatever he plans to do with his prized prisoner, and Bluefrost desperately wants to make things right somehow… but she sees now that it’s impossible. Sootstar tells her, point blank, that she would kill her now if she could, and her paws begin to shake.

I know you would.” Bluefrost’s voice is steady, even as her body trembles with grief and guilt. “If I had not been shown kindness, I… I might have let you. But there must be some reason I was spared.” She closes her eyes, willing herself to be blind to the monstrosity crouched before her.

After a few heartbeats, she says, “I never stopped wishing StarClan would come back to you.” She swallows thickly. Why is her throat so dry? “I am sorry for that, too.

• ooc:
  • 69334192_7vVwuq2U19bWMTh.png
  • Bluekit . Bluepaw . Bluefrost, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 13 moons old, ages realistically on the 14th.
    — mentored by Sootstar ; mentoring n/a ; previously mentored n/a.
    — windclan warrior. sootstar x weaselclaw, gen 2.
    — penned by Marquette.

lh blue and white she-cat with emerald eyes. aloof, dignified, poised, haughty, composed, distant.