private the earth from a distance | ravendusk

The stars shine so bright. Flickers of illumination painted across the inky sky, cloudless for a change and so inviting. Robinheart sits outside of the nursery with her chin tilted skyward, her citrine eyes fixed upon the starry fields of silverpelt.

Can you see me, Brookstorm?

Will I see you?

Moonbeam’s visit still weighs heavy on her mind. Duty placed upon charcoal and ember shoulders in wait. She is to be the help the medicine cat needs… but not for another moon and then some. When her children, who rest peacefully within the woven den, receive their apprentice names and depart from her. When they are in the care of another then Robinheart shall traverse a path laid out before her.

The shifting of reeds draws her gaze away from the stars. The tortoiseshell queen looks to the warrior who approaches and for a moment she searches her memory for his name. “Ravendusk,” Robinheart greets him, tilting her head ever so slightly in respect. She wonders what has brought him to the nursery at this hour. “How are you this evening?”

@RAVENDUSK
[ penned by kerms ]

Nights like this were truly a pleasant sight to look at. For an eternity he could just have stared up at the starry sky wishing for the morning to never arrive. Ravendusk prefered it like this, for nothing but darkness to surrender them all with nothing to shine the sky up beside the millions dots of starlight. It was only at nights like this where the world was at peace, for everything to be calm and standing still. However, it was also at nights like this that thier thoughts invited themselves to drift away into dark unpleasant places. This night in particular Ravendusk admittedly felt a bit uneasy, something they were not all too jovial about to admit. That unpleasant feeling in thier chest had for some reason lead thier restless paws to the nursery, of course it wasn't all that surprising. It often ended up leading him here at similiar nights.

Only at a night like this one the nursery was not left unguarded, another sleepless soul had placed themselves there to block Ravendusk to get any closer. It would have been to the warriors best interest to walk away from there to leave Robinheart at peace, however a such idea were quickly dismissed when the queen called out his name, and cowardly way out had been ruined. Now it would just be rude to leave.

" Greetings Robinheart." Ravendusk dipped their head to return the respectful greeting with an apologic look gracing their features, guilt deservingly earned for intruding on Robinheart's peaceful evening. " I couldn't sleep." Was the excuse, like he had read the queen's mind with a faint smile offered to the queen. " I figured some fresh air might help... but instead i seem to have found myself in the company of another sleepless soul." They said with slight humor purposefully avoiding to answer the question fully. It was not the first time but surely he had never meet Robinheart at this hour before. Thier conversations overall had been short and limited at best.

Ravendusk cast a glance at the darkness that lead inside of the nursery, now curiously wondering what was keeping Robinheart up and away from her sleeping kits inside of the nursery. " Are the kits keeping you up?." He decided to be bold to ask as his piercing amber gaze meet hers again, not thinking it was anything wrong with it - if the queen was taking a short break at the only opportunity that might be given to her. It was a tiresome job to be a mother they were sure, but also a blissful joy that never should be taken for granted, that outruled all the difficulties that come with it.

She hums with subtle intrigue at their response. Sleepless nights were no stranger to many Riverclanners. The haunting of memories - of ghosts - keeping weary eyes cracked open and fixed upon woven walls. Robinheart could tell Ravendusk the intricate details of the reeds that line the wall beside her nest. She could recount each fine detail of her children’s pelts. The cadence of each breath and snore of the nursery residents and who each belonged to. In the short time she has returned to her duties she has pulled in quite a few memories to keep locked away in her heart.

“I am often a sleepless soul. On nights as clear as this I like to gaze upon Silverpelt… and I speak to her. My mate.” Robinheart admits with a soft sigh - wistful and tinged with everlong adoration for star studded beauty. “I think it helps keep her memory alive. And I have hope that she hears me. That she knows how much I love her… and miss her,” she continues before feeling a subtle wave of embarrassment. This is a lot to admit to someone she does not know incredibly well.

Though perhaps this kind of raw emotion is what she needs to show to begin to bond with her clanmates? She has been kept separate from them for so long.

‘Are the kits keeping you up?’ Ravendusk had asked and Robinheart shakes her head. “They’ve not kept me up for a long time now. It’s been many moons since they stirred at my belly, crying out for milk and comfort…” and fewer moons since a runaway hound had severed that bond with bone crushing attack that landed her in the medicine den. “They’ll be apprentices next moon. And the nursery will be emptier as we take our respective leave to new dens,” she wears a proud, albeit bittersweet, smile at this thought. Claythorn and Gladefrost will fill in where Robinheart has led. They will be the ones new queens look to. “But until then I will cherish the moments I have with my kits. Time moves much too fast.”
[ penned by kerms ]