THE FAULT IS OUR OWN \ bananasplash

He could hardly believe she was a warrior, now. That any of them were. And he felt- felt awful for missing it. Another cat he'd known for such a long time, someone who meant a lot to Quillstrike and who he'd always liked but always felt a little too awkward to approach... and he'd not been there to cheer him on, when she had been for him. All because he'd stupidly wandered into a trap, and... got himself stuck in a box for a moon...

And there lay the danger in leaving himself alone with his thoughts. He was dredged from the quicksand of his volatility by the flash of a familiar patch-pelt in his periphery, and immediately Twitchbolt's head whirled around. He wanted to help her- he really did. Wanted to do even the tiniest thing to help make her feel better- to remind her that no matter what her Twolegs had done, SkyClan would always be there.

"Bananasplash-!" he called, his neck spasming to the side as he approached. An ever-trembling bicolour form beelined over to her then, wearing a smile on his face. "You, uh- want to go hunting? I, uh- haven't had a chance to see your awesome warrior skills yet." It was all said in good humour, but- equally earnest despite his tone's eternal wobble. Maybe remembering that she was a true warrior of SkyClan would make her feel just a little bit better.
penned by pin ✧

Last edited:

.°☀ I'll believe it all

Skyclan had fallen into a lull of sorts after the arrival of the shelter cats and the return of those captured. There had been a mourning vigil for Daisyflight and a beautiful ceremony done by her kits, and everything seemed to fall into place slightly. The young cat though didn't know rightly what to do with themselves as they were so use to leaving at night, coming in the morning and rinse and repeat. No, they where there all day every day and it was a weird shift that they hadn't been truly ready for. Though life had a funny way of throwing things their way and what not.

Bananasplash had just left the warriors' den after a nap, sleep avoided her at night, when she heard a voice call out to her. She lifted her head with her ears perked forward before a little pang of cold envy washed through her pelt. Twitchbolt. Things were awkward and tense between them, have been for a while now, and she really wish it wasn't that way. He was a good warrior, a good friend, and it was just Quillstrike that always got in the way of things. Suppose they could bond over that sometime? That they were more than just Quillstrikes secondary characters in his life.

The twitchy tom approached her with an offer of hunting, and she blinked a bit in surprise. Really? He wanted to spend time with her? Bananasplash gave a small twitch of her ear and glanced behind him for a moment before nodding in agreement, "Sure, I'd like that," She smiled softly, but it wasn't the same smile that had shone before the shelter. Before being left behind by her twolegs, it just didn't reach her eyes anymore.

"SPEECH"

There's nothing I won't understand .°☀

• //
  • BANANASPLASH named by her mother Alice and for her spirit and confidence
    — she/they, 14 moons, crushing on Quillstrike, Pigeonsong and Chrysalis
    — skyclan warrior, mentored by Sharpeye.
    — quick witted, sweetheart with a bleeding heart, optimistic

primary character, high activity. penned by wolf_.​
  • banana.png

He met their acceptance with a smile and a nod, glad that they hadn't refused. Would have been- embarrassing, really, wouldn't it? And- it would have made him worry even more that he'd done something along the way to upset her. Accidentally hurt her feelings, or-

No use dwelling on it- he purged any fret from his mind, or at least attempted it, fixing his vision on the outskirts of camp. "Great! Uh- let's go, then." As chirpy as his jittering tone could manage, Twitchbolt beckoned her with his kinked tail. It was not long before they were deep in the pine forest's foliage, the cloying cat-scent of camp long behind them, instead surrounded be strong prey-scent. Poised to attention, in prime tracking-stance, Twitchbolt glanced behind him, slowing his pace a little.

The way her smile didn't really look the same- he had seen it, and knew it was not a blameless affliction. A daylight warrior one second, and then... a full warrior the next. Some had made the migration willingly, but that did not extend to the patchwork feline beside him. "For what it's worth, I'm- I'm sorry you ended up at that place." The shelter had been unpleasant for him, but at least it was not betrayal that had trapped him there. "Your twolegs, they- they didn't deserve you. Not if they did that to you." It was earnest, despite his stuttering. Honest.

It felt wrong just to hunt, when he knew something was bothering her.
penned by pin ✧

.°☀ I'll believe it all

The kinked tail gestured for them to follow and they of course didn't object, trotting after the brown tomcat with a soft sigh through her nose. They soon left camp and were in the deep foliage of Skyclans territory. The scent of prey hung heavy in the air and she lifted her nose to sniff for something nearby when Twitchbolt spoke. Her attention turn to the messy furred warrior and her gaze became unreadable as he apologized for her being trapped in the shelter. That her twolegs didn't deserve her and she agreed with him slightly, but she still missed them. They had raised her since she was a kitten and gave her so much love- it was untelling why they would leave her and Cloudberry there.

"Thank you, Twitch," She spoke softly and offered a slight smile before shuffling her paws. Something had been bothering her and she looked at the brown and white cat for a moment before asking, "How're you though? You were there longer than I and witnessed Daisyflight-," She stopped herself with a thick swallow of her words. Bananasplash shifted, "I am sorry we were unable to get you two free when you where captured," She lowered her head slightly and her tail swished behind her.

There was more she wanted to say. Wanted to question why Quillstrike seemed to pick him over her, why she was second best in his life, but she kept those words to herself. She didn't want to cause an issue with Twitchbolt. He was truly a kind cat, truly a good friend, but yet she couldn't help but dislike him slightly. Not hate him, she couldn't hate a cat, but yet she didn't like him per se. There was a shake of her short coat for a moment before she looked at Twitch and offered a slight smile, "But we got out ya know? We're here and its- its gonna be okay,"

"SPEECH"

• //

• banana.png

They thanked him, and- every cell in his mind was screaming that she might be lying to him, might be being insincere, but- but that was just his chattering paranoia. Incessant background noise. It never left him- just, as he grew older it got a little easier to ignore. So he took their gratitude with a small, shaking smile, dipping his head as if to say no problem. He wanted her to believe that... that she had a place here. That it was alright, or- it would be. He had grieved heavily before- and yet somehow, he'd lived. Twitchbolt himself was living proof that even the most pathetic cat could struggle through hardship, and Bananasplash was far from pathetic.

She turned the conversation back to him, and he flinched visibly at the mention of his former mentor, one of his eyelids flickering in a twitch. Managing to maintain his composure, he swallowed a lump in his throat, shaking his head. "Don't- don't be sorry. S'not your fault." He fastened his teeth together, digging his molars into the inside flesh of his mouth. "I'll- mm-miss Daisyflight. A lot, but..."

What she'd said- that they got out, that they were here... that was what mattered. Daisyflight was watching over them, was... smiling from the starry expanse above, that was for certain. "You're right. We've both been through some- some shit, but- we- we've gotta keep going. And- it'll be okay, even if it takes a while. Even if it's- if it's not the same as it was before." His form deflated with a sigh, and he glanced up to the trees before his eyes fell back upon the cat beside him, fixing her with a weary smile.
penned by pin ✧

• Love
Reactions: wolfie

.°☀ I'll believe it all

Twitchbolt had a point in the matter, that they would all get better in due time and thats all it would take- time. Bananasplash found an awkward silence huddled over the pair and she twitched her ear sligtly in response to the thickness of the air. There was a lot unsaid between them and she didn't know if either of them would ever be able to come to terms with it. There was so much she wanted to confront him about but yet it all seemed like she hated the chocolate and white tomcat. She didn't think she could hate anyone, maybe dislike but hate was a strong word.

The pale tabby she-cat gave a soft sigh through her nose and then finally deicded to just bite the bullet, "Twitchbolt- I wanted to say I am sorry if I ever came across as not liking you or anything like that," She swallowed thickly and glanced down at the ground, "Guess you could say I was a little jealous of you? Quill seemed to grow a really strong bond with you and I am so glad he has such a good cat as a best friend," Bananasplash offered a slight smile and looked back at the oliver gaze of the other warrior.

"And you know him, oblivious as always," She gave a light chuckle and then awkwardly twitched back her ears, "Sorry-anyway I just- wanted to put it all out in the open,"

"SPEECH"

• //

• banana.png

It was silent, then- for a good few, long moments, and Twitchbolt felt himself bristle a little at the discomfort. There it was, that odd feeling again. He was not expecting Bananasplash to address it.

As she spoke, he fixed her with an unreadable, wide gaze- one that spasmed with his namesakes, but stayed otherwise stuck. He was no idiot- he'd noticed the peculiar glances she'd given him, strange and hardy and... disquieting. But he'd dismissed it as just the storm of his paranoia, again- incessant as it was. In some ways it was nice to be told he wasn't acting crazy- he wasn't baseless with these spiralling thoughts. But to think it was borne of jealousy- that, that confused him.

A small chuckle left him. Quillstrike likely hadn't noticed the odd tension at all, she was right; living as his own sentinel. "I- it's okay," he assured, a thoughtful frown overtaking his mahogany features. His neck tilted to the side for a moment, involuntary as ever. "I- I did notice it. And it did feel like that sometimes." He recalled the way she'd looked at him- had shuffled closer to Quillstrike- the night they had been stargazing, staring right at him while failing to greet him at all.

"But- thank you, for apologising. And for- for saying I'm a good cat," he admitted, earnestness in his tone. "I'd- I'm not attached to Quillstrike by the hip, you know. I wanna be judged as myself, not - not who I hang out with." Punctuated with a smile, his tone was light- there was no animosity held. Forgive and forget. It was the most honest thing he could think to tell them, in that moment. He would never stop being Quillstrike's friend, never forgo the bond that he had with the chimera, but he was not an accessory. It had taken much of his life so far to realise that.
penned by pin ✧

————————————⊰⋅ ⋅⊱————————————

Untitled73_20230513114054.png
Untitled73_20230513114054.png
Tension could be seen leaving lithe shoulders as Bananasplash smiled sweetly at the twitchy tomcat, "I know, it-it was silly of me," She said with a light giggle at herself. She was so glad they could come to an understanding. That she could apologize to her mates' best friend and all that. The young warrior then went to gently touch her muzzle to Twitchbolts' shoulder and grinned, "Now-about that hunt?" She gestured with her head for him to follow and trotted down the pathway.

Speech

————————————⊰⋅ ⋅⊱————————————