the moon will sing a song for me - offering prey

moth ★

[ STARCLAN 7.5.22 ]
Jun 8, 2022

Glazed over eyes stared at the rat between her paws. Her mind elsewhere. It was a fine kill, especially for times like these. Yet she hardly felt like eating. Her stomach felt as though it had tied itself in knots with worry. Once the oncoming conflict had felt like a faraway problem. An unfortunate eventuality, but one she could prepare for, and avoid any danger to herself. Now though, it sat heavier upon her shoulders.

She had taken only patrols that stayed strictly away from the pine forest, as much as hunting on her own when that was what it took. She had not engaged with the rising tensions around her. All with the intent of slipping out silently once things got too bad. An intent she no longer had.

Moth was staying.

She blinked, saw the rat beneath her again. A sigh pulled itself from her. If she wasn't going to eat it then she should at least make certain it didn't go to waste. With a glance about her the moll stood. "Anyone want this?" she called. "I have lost my appetite."
[ BORE THE SHADOWS THAT YOU MADE ]

Reactions: Marquette

Something most be very wrong here why else would Moth give her food away like this?. Food which were so very importand for survival. It was absurd that anyone would give away thier food like this, untouched even at that. Even if he had seen this strange behavior before in this group it was often for a reason to feed somebody else who needed it more, not like this. Oh, he got it. She most be sick or...was she dying?!.It could only be one out of this two reasons. Fang couldn't possible understand why else Moth would throw away her food like this. He for one would never say no to an opportunity to eat still on the survival mood by not knowing when the next time a meal would present itself to him. Fang had no idea how Moth's life had been before this group or if she had lived her since birth. That case had not been with Fang who had joined this group for barely three months ago together with his...family. Food had not been for free out there neither had it been easy to capture anything to feed the three of them. Fang had always been the one who picked the short straw. His father had been the one who eat first always, and then it was his brother. Lastly if anything was left over it was his turn to eat and that was if he was lucky. Most days he went without eating anything at all. It was all because he was the weakest out of the three unable to be useful for anything. Of course feeding him first would be wasteful. Fang understood that logic very well. That was why his relationship with food was sacred to him, not something to take for granted. He would eat any opportunity he was given. It was difficult to get ride of a bad habit.

So Moth most be sick or dying.

" Are y-you....okay?." Fang who usual didn't spoke adressed his concern, standing a bit away as he watched the molly with restless eyes while his gaze now and then shifted down to the rat. Truth be told, he was not a fan of rats. Thier meat not the most tasteful. Their lifeless eyes that sometimes stared at him was creepy too. Like they not were terrifying enough when being alive they also had to stare into the deepest of his soul like they were judging him. It was really creepy. But he wouldn't complain even if he was scared of his own food sometimes. Food was food. It should never go to waste, ever.

dey3ui7-b960f9d3-2e74-46e9-938b-2a199a9500e0.png

Unlike Fang, the queen was hardly concerned. Her stomach was rumbling and the mere sound of food being given away was enough to make her salivate! If Moth wasn't going to have it she wouldn't argue, she'd make sure it'd go to multiple hungry bellies! "I'll take it!" Loudly she declares so that no one may beat her to the prey, it was easy to outpace her waddling.

The piece of prey upon further inspection was a rat, not her favorite, but you couldn't pick and choose. Especially as of late.
While Fang expresses his concern she picks up the vile rodent and struts away, no other words spoken.
That was Soot.

( ) "Aww, shit, I'm too late. Do you think she'd eat me instead if I stole that rat from her?" The half-joking response rumbles in Crow's chest, owlish eyes following Soot as she struts away with the prize. Of course they weren't going to steal from the queen; whether that is because she's carrying kits or because they're afraid of losing an eye is anyone's guess.

With a dramatic sigh, Crow plops down nearby, idly drawing their tongue over a paw. One ear is swiveled towards Fang and Moth, their whiskers twitching at the shy tom's question. "Yeah, what's up with everyone losin' their appetite lately?" First it was Cicada, and now Moth. Ironically enough, both of them share a bug-themed name. They try not to be too overly concerned with it, though. It just means more prey for them, right?

He swallows the building worry. Probably nothing.

Seeing Fang's approach, her initial assumption was that he intended to take the prey off her paws. It was only when he spoke up that her paw stopped, right before she went to bat it over to him. Her ear flicked. She had no desire to unload her anxieties on anyone, much less a mere child.

"I am-" she began, before being abruptly cut off by Soot calling out her claim to the rat. She watched with exasperation as the queen waddled over to nab it out from under her paws. At least she was to the point, Moth supposed. Even if it came at the expense of all tact.

Crow's joke brings a sly smile back to her. "Yes, and the rat along with you if you didn't eat quick enough." She remarked with a snort. Her smile left her as he too questioned her decision to give up her catch. "I am fine." She stated firmly, giving the two toms a look that didn't leave room for questioning her. "Giving up one catch isn't going to kill me."
[ BORE THE SHADOWS THAT YOU MADE ]