camp THE WATER FERRIES - battle talk

Moonpaw did not envy those that had marched off to battle with Smokestar, the anger that radiate off their leaders pelt noticeable by all and for good reason too. They had killed, maimed, and stolen clanmates and if the medicine cat apprentice could she would be there on the sidelines now, hiding in the snow with herbs buried beneath her so that she could help to heal those that were surely going to be injured. There were enough that had gone, however, that Moonpaw was sure all who would be injured would be able to make it back to camp simply because they had to.

She'd been allowed out of the medicine den now, injuries healed enough where they were no longer a threat to bleed with too much movement, though she was still refined to the main area of camp as the furthest possible she could go, and although in the past Moonpaw would have itched to get into the territory she was content with this, quiet as she thought of the rogues that walked their territory as if they owned it. Tail-tip flicked in annoyance before she lie down in whatever warm spot she could find and watched the entrance of the camp. They had just left only moments prior so it was unlikely that the battle patrol would return so soon but she couldn't help but watch and worry, waiting for the first sign of injured cats to rush through the reeds, ears flicking around absentmindedly as she listened to any conversations going on around her.

• this takes place at the same time as the rogue battle thread, characters are not allowed to post in both!
  • 76563872_jZr368yA5Er3eOs.png
    MEDICINE CAT IN TRAINING;
    FLESH WOUNDS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ INFECTIONS
    ꕥꕥꕥ ACHES & PAINS
    ꕥꕥꕥ ILLNESS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ BREATHING ISSUES
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ TRAVELING HERBS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ BROKEN BONES
    ꕥꕥꕥ KITTING
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ POISONS
  • 73712454_CoST7yg1gTxVXmM.jpg
    SH white masking cinnamon torbie w/orange eyes & small ears
    speaks softly & often found humming
    9 moons old; ages the 17th every month
    homosexual homoromantic ; interested in beepaw & redacted
    currently being mentored by ravensong
    easy to befriend/interact with ; hard to anger/upset
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    easy in combat unless in water, focuses on defensive tactics
    peaceful powerplay allowed

Fighting. What a dumb way to hurt your enemies. The cream molly loitered about, gaze occasionally flicking toward Moonpaw, but for the most part she was occupied by her own thoughts. If the rogues have got Shellkit properly, they have the ultimate leverage. One wrong move from Smokestar and they could just kill her. That's what I would do. Not that she would kill Shellkit. But really, what else were they to do with a hapless kit? If they were smart they ought to know that she was a great bargaining chip to haggle demands, but little more. If Minkpaw were a bloodthirsty rogue and she realized that all Shellkit was going to bring upon her was a band of murderous RiverClanners, killing her to destroy moral and send a message was the next best option.

Perhaps it was for the best she had been chosen to remain in camp. Something something, 'stay here as a back-up force'? Maybe it had been 'you're not ready for this'? Whilst obviously Minkpaw was ready and perfectly capable of fighting nasty rogues, thank you very much, the decision had aligned nicely with how little she cared to get her paws dirty at the moment, and so a tantrum was wonderfully avoided. I wonder what will happen when they've all returned. Smokestar sounded pretty angry. He'll probably want to obliterate them or something. But if he does, Shellkit is definitely dead. Or, if the rogues were really smart, Shellkit might be a minor distraction, part of a much larger plan...

"What if the rogues have just been waiting for everyone to freak out over Shellkit and leave?" Sharp eyes widened slightly as she finally acknowledged Moonpaw, her voice lilting curiously. "Maybe they just wanted to pull most of our warriors away from camp, and while they're gone the real plan is to come here and do as much damage as possible." Minkpaw blinks, tilting her head in a far too thoughtful way. "Like, what's even the point of taking her if it's not some sort of plan? Obviously we'd go and get her back."​

ꕀꕀ Being left behind while the rest of the clan is off battling against rogues is awful. Those same rogues had murdered multiple clanmates, and injured so many more… how is he supposed to be okay with being left sitting in camp like a kit while his mentor is crossing claws with powerful enemies? Maybe it’s for the best, he thinks, since he can’t even win a spar against fungus-brained Cicadapaw. He just wants to be able to do something, anything, to help his clan. But instead, the tortoiseshell-patched apprentice sits beside Moonpaw and Minkpaw, listening to the latter speculate about why the rogues would have taken Shellkit. With a wince, Sandpaw has to admit that the line of thought makes sense.

"Nah, I wouldn’t worry about anythin’ like that," he says at last, shaking his head with a sure nod of his head. There’s no way, right? They wanted Shellkit because a rogue is the one who left her here in the first place. Smokestar told them that. They probably plan on taking back their kit and then running as far away as they can, hoping to forever avoid RiverClan’s snapping teeth. "I’d protect ya anyway. That’s why my mentor had me stay behind, yeah?" He’d probably be unable to put up much of a fight, but he could give them time to escape, at least.

When Minkpaw begins to speak, Moonpaw's ears flick in her direction and quickly she shook her head. "I'm sure the patrol would know if that was happening, they've got really good trackers with them." It'd be hard to hide like that so close to the camp too, especially after what had happened with the rogues moons ago - they wouldn't allow a group of cats to get so close to camp without them seeing them. But somehow the rogues were still able to take Shellkit and that was something that Moonpaw hadn't thought would be able to happen either. She let her ears flick to get rid of the thought as more was said and quietly Moonpaw thought about that too. She didn't know who it was exactly that had left the kin to Smokestar with them as she hadn't been at the border that day but she did know that they were left with RiverClan to take care of, so maybe it was possible that the one who had left them here had changed her mind. It was an odd thought, one that Moonpaw didn't like, but she liked it more than the idea of the rogues being smart enough to plan something with Shellkit.

"Rogues like this... I don't think they're very smart. Maybe they thought we wouldn't do something to get her back." Quietly she'd muse, eyes trained on the entrance to the camp the whole time. Any minute now they'd be back with Shellkit, everything would be fine and she'd be back with her siblings in the nursery. She had to be.

FLESH WOUNDS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ INFECTIONS
    ꕥꕥꕥ ACHES & PAINS
    ꕥꕥꕥ ILLNESS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ BREATHING ISSUES
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ TRAVELING HERBS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ BROKEN BONES
    ꕥꕥꕥ KITTING
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ POISONS
  • 77806169_foypYeOV3SOXMfq.png

“They are smarter than we give them credit for,” Robinheart murmurs as she pads over to the small group (all apprentices so far but she had also been one not long ago). “They laid a trap and ambushed the patrol I had been on. Though I don’t think they’d do that again since Smokestar may anticipate a move like that,” she adds thoughtfully, fully believing that whatever the rogues had up their sleeve would pale in comparison to Smokestar’s wrath. RiverClan would get Shellkit back; they would avenge all the lives lost. They just had to.

“The rogues will be forced out and RiverClan victorious. I can feel it in my bones…” the tortoiseshell speaks once more, wanting to instill some positivity among those left behind in camp. Optimism was all she had to offer right now.

Ravensong had foolishly believed non-Clan cats, unbound to the laws and order of a Clan, would be easy to pick off. If they had not already claimed the lives of several Clanmates including their leader however, perhaps he would feel in the mood for some conversation while the battle went on. Yet all his mind would cling to is the thought that some of their cats may not return. Because of this, the dark-pelted medicine cat paces relentlessly in front of his den, ducking in and out as if to check his stores for one last time. Wads of cobweb line up at the ready and his stomach feels like an empty pit closing in on himself.

Ravensong chances a glance outside to see the other RiverClan cats that had not joined the war patrol. He notices Moonpaw among them and he stalks over, paw steps quick and quiet as a shadow. "We should all be on guard for whatever happens." He rasps, eyes narrowing slightly as he looks over the younger cats. "And Moonpaw, if you are feeling alright enough to be out here in camp, you ought to help me prepare poultices for the patrol when they return." His tone carries an unusual amount of sternness, eyes sharp and lips tight as he glances down at his apprentice.

•  
  • IMG_0250.png
    RAVENSONG of RIVERCLAN LH BLACK POLYDACTYL MALE (CARRYING CINNAMON, DILUTE) a tall, slender creature with pitch-black feathery fur, large ears, and a sharply angled skull held up in an aloof manner. smells of dried herb, speaks with a low and rumbly accent and walks with an elegant slinking gait.

born in twolegplace and orphaned at a young age, he joined riverclan at its inception and began training as a drypaw warrior known for a bitter temperment until beesong made him his medicine cat apprentice. after his mentor's untimely death, he had been named ravensong at the moonstone, young heart revitalized with anger and guilt. he is a somber and thorough medicine cat that guards every word spoken in the confines of his den.

secretly loves "the stars but not so much what inhabits them" openly suffers from chronic migraines single, but "it's complicated"

The war party has left. Camp is sparsely guarded—every paw is needed on the battlefield, Iciclefang knows. She pushes herself to her paws to linger just inside the nursery’s entrance, blue eyes skipping over the cats who remain. Some of the apprentices’ chatter reaches her ears; Minkpaw suggests the rogues might have drawn the able-bodied cats away so they could ambush camp. The tortoiseshell heaves her way through the nursery and into the clearing, her gaze narrowed thoughtfully. She sits just on the periphery of the small group, her ears flicked forward. Sandpaw and Moonpaw protest Minkpaw’s theory, and Robinheart reminds them that the rogues are smarter than they’d previously given them credit for.

She nods in the red-crested warrior’s direction. “They’ve been picking us off like prey,” Iciclefang mews, her voice tense. She thinks of Smokestar, dead to a surprise attack; Clayfur, Lightningstone, Oxbowpaw, ambushed. She wraps her tail around snow-pale paws. “RiverClan must be victorious. I wish…” Her jaw clenches. She wishes she were going to war with her Clanmates, claws unsheathed, hackles raised, teeth bared. She wishes so many things, but wishes protect no one, feed no bellies. She stifles them, cutting herself off as Ravensong slips over.

The medicine cat’s nerves are frayed; she can see that in his eyes, hear it in the brusque tone of his voice as he orders Moonpaw to help him prepare for injuries. Iciclefang’s mouth twitches. “If you need help with anything else, let me know. Otherwise, I’m going back to the nursery.” She pushes herself to her paws, surveying camp’s entrance one last time before she slips back to her new den.

• ooc:
  • image0.jpg
  • Iciclekit . Iciclepaw . Iciclefang, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 21 moons old, ages realistically on the 17th.
    — mentored by Smokestar ; mentoring Cicadapaw ; previously mentored n/a
    — riverclan lead warrior. mudpelt x icesparkle, gen 2.
    — former mate to Stormywing ; current mate to no one.
    — penned by Marquette.

sh tortoiseshell and white she-cat with ice-blue eyes. confident, capable, proud, dry, conceited, condescending, distrustful.

Eyes flick over to Robinheart as she speaks of them being smarter than they give them credit for and solemnly she nods her head in response. She supposed that was true, that they'd done a decent job so far of planning things, of sneaking up on the patrols at the borders and despite the fact that Moonpaw would like to enjoy the idea of them being dumb and not worth thinking of them as anything but, they had taken Shellkit and she couldn't help but wonder if that was simply a spur of the moment thing, something that had simply just happened because she had snuck out or if it was something that had been planned too.

Quietly she thought about this as eyes turned back towards entrance, readying herself for the worst before stern voice coming from behind caused her to jump slightly, eyes wide as head swiveled as she looked behind her once more to see her mentor telling her to prepare poultices for when the patrol returned and though she wanted to protest - what if they needed help getting to the den to have them used on them - she kept her mouth shut and moved the best she could towards the medicine den to do as told, stopping to look towards Iciclefang for just a moment as she offers her own help before she nod slightly to herself and slipped in the den. She couldn't help the questions that lay on her mind as she did so. What were they supposed to prepare for this, how did he know what to get ready for other than potential injuries from claws and teeth? What happened if they prepared too many or if they didn't have enough?

• // out!
    FLESH WOUNDS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥ INFECTIONS
    ꕥꕥꕥ ACHES & PAINS
    ꕥꕥꕥ ILLNESS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ BREATHING ISSUES
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ TRAVELING HERBS
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ BROKEN BONES
    ꕥꕥꕥ KITTING
    ꕥꕥꕥꕥꕥ POISONS
  • 77806169_foypYeOV3SOXMfq.png

//ooc Minkpaw internal thoughts mean, pay no attention to her <3

Dark ears flick back as Sandpaw speaks up, and Minkpaw can't help but jerk her head in his direction.
"P-Protect me? I didn't... That's not... I can protect myself just fine, thank you." She huffed sharply and turned her nose away. I could protect myself way better than you could. Psh, why would you even think I want you to protect me? Ridiculous. Cold blue eyes darted one more glance toward Sandpaw before Moonpaw spoke up. She said something stupid, and Minkpaw latched on instantly.

"They didn't know the rogues would steal Shellkit," she challenged, relishing the opportunity to forget Sandpaw's words. "Can we really be sure we'd know if they were planning something else?" She stared incredulously as Moonpaw proclaimed the rogues to be too stupid to plan something as simple as a double attack. Maybe 'too short on cats,' but stupid? The more the young medicine apprentice spoke, the more Minkpaw grew inclined to believe that she was the unintelligent one. Before she could laugh out loud and get a cuff around the ear for her disrespect, Robinheart voiced her thoughts in a gentler way.

"Exactly. Just about all the damage they've done we didn't expect. Clearly they weren't born yesterday." She glanced sideways at Robinheart, chewing the inside of her cheek. I wouldn't count on it. You and your bones are just guessing. Ravensong swoops in to usher Moonpaw off to some herb duties, and Minkpaw is thankful she didn't spit the venom her thoughts had been in front of him. Then again, Iciclefang herself seems to agree with her, and so the young apprentice sits a little straighter.

All that was left to do was wait.​