the world falls down // lichentail

Apr 21, 2023
I can't believe this...

Just as she thinks she's doing well, laying low and not giving her mentor too much trouble - Lichentail effectively ruins it all for the both of them. Frankly Brookpaw doesn't understand why; it sounds like something happened at the border with a returning warrior and several bystanding RiverClanners. The details are fuzzy but nonetheless unwanted. In truth Brookpaw needs only so much to dislike her mentor even more.

She wades through a sun dappled camp, glowering towards her mentor as she approaches. She's attempted asking her parents to take her out - but Buckgait is becoming more and more of a docile forever-queen by the day, and her father is a stickler for rules and respect. As far as Brookpaw can tell, she's stuck with her kit-like mentor. Great.

"Any idea of what we can do today?" asks the apprentice, though sarcasm drips so evidently in her tone. Brookpaw has not yet learned the art of covertness, much more preferring to be blunt with Lichentail. "Maybe we can splash in the stream like kittens. Surely I'll pick up something from that." Again she bites, waiting for the other feline to bite back.​

For every ounce of humiliation came another equally seething remark from the fly that buzzed around her incessantly. A child.. another burden to account for. It wasn't like she'd asked for trouble, having only uttered a couple well-intentioned sentences before being summarily labeled conniving. Lichentail had only avoided Cicadastar this long in anticipation of whatever punishment he might wish to discuss... but it seemed her lack of ambition to speak with him had unforeseen consequences; it only furthered her guilt. Sighing softly to herself as another morning's horizon marked another day on standby, it was only at the whims of others that she would have chances to go out and work- this would've been fine if not for-

"Any idea of what we can do today?"

Brookpaw.

The scruffy molly turned to look towards her apprentice, a frown creased lightly at her maw and a half-lidded expression of exhaustion to match it. "I understand you are bored and inconvenienced Brookpaw," they meow in reply, voice dry and lacking genuine compassion for the impatience of her charge. The rest of her antagonizing manages to find its mark, causing the lead's fur to bristle in frustration along her spine.

"Yes, I live to spite you child and see to your personal failure each and every sunrise." It is... a lie, of course. A response oozing with sarcasm and annoyance but knowing how much the girl takes every challenge personally, it was sure to exacerbate the argument more. "There is plenty to do here- you won't catch prey with a mouth as loud as yours anyways."

Maybe if she exhibited a modicum of patience or respect in general... this would be easier. But Cicadastar in giving her this particular bratty girl, had given her a test of will and an opportunity (though painful) to learn how to handle those who might be unruly in the face of her commands.​