the world is not enough | roe

Since the exiling of Cinderfrost, things had been a little frosty between Flycatcher and his apprentice. Although it hurt to see her anger and distance towards him, Flycatcher was sympathetic and understanding of her plight. They were still not on the best terms but as time had passed the fire in Roepaw's heart had waned and so too had her frustrations with him. Flycatcher also no longer felt so wary about speaking with her outside of training.

It was the latter feeling which led the lead warrior to seek out his apprentice that afternoon. Although things had cooled off between them they hadn't really taken the time to speak of what happened. Flycatcher had wanted to initially, but with how angry and distressed his apprentice was, he had not wanted to cause her any additional upset. Besides, given how she had initially reacted, she likely wouldn't have been overly receptive to his attempts anyway. Stepping out of the warrior's den, his green eyes scanned the clearing for his apprentice before quickly spotting her. "Roepaw," He called her name out softly as he approached. "Do you have time to talk?"

@. Roepaw .

I TOLD YOU ONCE, I CAN'T DO THIS AGAIN

Lately, Roepaw had picked up on a new special interest, and while it was a bit odd it had brought her a great deal of comfort.
To start, identifying the rollercoaster of emotions she was often dealt in the moment, secondly giving those emotions a color- a personification, anything.
Rage was a molten white, while anger was a bright red.
Sadness was a stormy grey, and happiness a sage green.
Resentment, however, was like a spider nestling in her chest cavity. Poisonous or healthy- No in between.
Flycatcher had dropped from the bright red to being caught in the spiders web, and Roepaw was going mad trying to distinguish if it was deserved or not.
At this moment though, that was the last thing on her mind as she groomed various twigs out of her wispy fur- until a familiar voice calling out to her caught her attention.
When she turns to look at the approaching Flycatcher, her gaze is void of the consistent frost it had held for him in the past moon, it was void of any emotion really.
Still, she finds herself nodding. "Mhm" she replied, ready to get the uncomfortable topic the warrior undoubtedly wanted to address out of the way. Perhaps, she decided, with some clarity and words, the spider could finally let Flycatcher go.
"speech."

Her response is curt and neutral. Flycatcher shouldn't be surprised by the shortness of it but he still lingers quietly for a second, as though half expected her to say something more. When she doesn't, he nods awkwardly. "Right then, follow me if you're ready," He instructs before padding towards the entrance to the camp. He waits for a moment, looking over his shoulder to ensure his apprentice is following, and when he is sure she is he leads her out of camp.

They walk in silence out of camp and into the woods surrounding their home, the only noise being their pawsteps against the ground and the chittering of birds way up out of sight. The silence bothers him slightly but he's glad for it too as it gives him a last minute opportunity to think on what he will say to her and how to best breach the uncomfortable topic they would talk about. Eventually, they come to a stop in a clearing, the same one he brought his nieces to a few days earlier. He looks around, admiring the scenery for a few moments before turning back to her and speaking. "So, Roepaw, how have things been with you as of late?" He asks. His tone is polite and kind but there's a hint of awkwardness there too, as though he's not quite sure how to get out his words. "Beyond our training, we haven't spoken much since Cinderfrost left." With good reason, he added quietly to himself.

I TOLD YOU ONCE, I CAN'T DO THIS AGAIN

Eyelids blink slowly as Roepaw notes his lingering. Should she have said more…?
The thought quickly turns irrelevant as he instructs her to follow him, and she dutifully obliges.
The walk was silent, but peaceful. For once Roepaw was comforted by the lack of noise, the light chirps of the birds even being enough to lull her noisy mind.
Soon enough however, they are stopping in a clearing. Leaf-fall has taken hold and most of the greenery is withered and frosted over, but the angle of the sunlight still manages to cast a golden overtone over the scenery, and it’s beauty is still held.
Jade eyes silently looked to Flycatcher as he begins to speak, Roepaw’s ears perking to show that she is paying attention.
Her mind clicks through the past moon. Being kicked out of the apprentices den for a night, the depression, the sickness.
She doesn’t bother to answer the first question- it’s only when Cinderfrost is brought up that Roepaw feels her muzzle involuntarily crinkle. She looks away from him before she can speak.
"Yeah, well… my mother being exiled wasn’t the only thing that hurt me that day." The emotion cracks through her tone, splintering her stoic demeanor.
Maybe, honesty isn’t always the best policy, but Roepaw was never one to be subtle in her words or her actions.
"speech."

"Yeah, well… my mother being exiled wasn't the only thing that hurt me that day."

Hearing those words, his ears flatten against his head in embarrassment. "Roepaw I am sorry for hurting you that day, it was never my intention," Flycatcher mewed, bowing his head in shame. "Whilst I am not sorry for what I said, I recognise that I spoke poorly and should have been more mindful over my temper so as not to stoop to the level of those ShadowClan bullies." The lead warrior pulled a face at the memory of that ShadowClan patrol and nearly all the others they had encountered since. Flycatcher was silent for a long moment before finally continuing. "I think given the situation Cinderfrost found herself in, it was inevitable she would have been exiled for what she did but I wish things had played out differently. That it didn't feel as though we suddenly had to jump that conclusion thanks to Pitchstar's incessant demands."

He had enough rambling for now and a softer expression took over now. "I am sorry you lost your mother, Roepaw," He told her honestly. "I think that's the most tragic thing about this whole situation in truth. Not that we lost a medicine cat but that you lost your mother. Regardless of how others felt about her or were treated by her, in you, I can see all the goodness she possessed."