then again i'm guessing // open

Graypaw.

Oct 11, 2023
A thick green ball rolled against the grass, dense as it left a small trail behind it. White paws pressed hard against the earth, a blissful giggle rolling out from the newly-appointed apprentice who controlled the ball. Her ears wiggled while her nose twitched. Her golden green eyes were focused on the moss ball and her wide stance would be seen to any apprentice or warrior as a fools position. Her legs were splayed too far apart, her scent heavy in the air as the wind blew in her direction.
it was obvious that the young she-cat was far from knowledgeable as an apprentice.

"Ha!" giggled the apprentice as she launched herself toward the slowing ball of moss. Paws batted at the dense green ball and the grass around her squished beneath her weight, The wind buffeted against her face, her whiskers appearing in a wild position. Her eyes were wild with playful excitement when she her the approaching footsteps of another WindClanner. She picked herself up, tail swaying, and spun to face whoever had intruded on her playful desire. She straightened up, cocking her head to the left and shuffled her paws beneath under her chest.

"Hello!"

──ᨒ↟↟ᨒ↟ᨒ↟↟ᨒ── "Graypaw," Wolfsong greets evenly, his sole eye appraising. She has not long been an apprentice, though it is not her playfulness that would mark her out as being quite young— Featherkit and Bearkit, after all, are more solemn creatures, and Wolfsong knows age does not dictate enthusiasm. A mellowing happens for some when they are older. For Wolfsong, he thinks he has simply grown around his grief, such that the flames can no longer touch him quite so easily.

He does imagine, at times, that his kits were all more playful and mischievous, but he would not have them be anything other than themselves. "Is this training, or entertainment?" He asks with an amused gleam in his eye. "All the better if it is both, but if it is training, it should not be done alone."
border2.png
little_elli.png
WOLFSONG of WINDCLAN FORMER ROGUE TURNED MEDICINE CAT. 38 MOONS, HE/HIM, NPC X NPC. MATES WITH SUNSTRIDE (07/05/2023). BIOGRAPHY, PINTEREST, & PLAYLIST.
  • ★★★☆☆ WOUNDS: You're (mostly) in safe paws. You'll know if he's less experienced if he asks for your permission to try a treatment. No wound can scare him away from knowledge.
    ★★★☆☆ INFECTION: He can prevent most infections. If you feel feverish, let him know; he'll hum thoughtfully over herbs and sniff your wound before saying, "With your blessing..."
  • ★☆☆☆☆ ACHES & PAINS: If you complain to him of pain, he'll ask where. If it's a headache, you'll likely feel a bit better. For anything else, "Try this, if you'd like, and tell me how you feel."
    ★☆☆☆☆ BROKEN BONES: At best. he can ask you to remain lying down in the den. He may try to distract you with conversation while he considers what herb to feed you.
  • ★★★★★ TRAVELING HERBS: Going somewhere? No worries; Wolfsong knows just what you need to stay hale and healthy during your journey. The rest is up to you.
    ★★☆☆☆ KITTING: Thanks to Starlingheart, he's better prepared for the arrival of kits, but any complications will need a little faith and a lot of luck.
  • ★☆☆☆☆ POISONS: It's best if you avoid eating anything unfamiliar to you— it's probably just as unfamiliar to Wolfsong. The best he can do is offer you yarrow and sit with you.
    ★★☆☆☆ ILLNESS: If it's white or greencough, you'll likely recover. Otherwise, prepare for odd concoctions and the usual request that you consent to a little trial-and-error.

"Wolfsong!" piped the she-cat, her nose twitching as she took in the sight of the medicine cat. Medicine was a thing that had always left the apprentice curious. In her perspective those with a mind that could hold such knowledge were cats to be wary of. Intelligence played a role in treason, after all, but she did not doubt the loyalties of the kind tom-cat.

"I'm just playing," she admitted with a shrug. "I don't really know what else to do today." she flashed a toothy grin at the superior. "What are you doing? Have you gone collecting herbs recently?" her tail swayed behind her. "Can I help in any way?" a rumble came from her chest, purring at her own words.

"Or maybe we could play together? I'm great at moss ball."[/b[

Reactions: WOLFSONG
your entire existence gives me a headache, go stand over there .
︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶
Returning empty-pawed, Fogbound watched the energetic apprentice with a raised brow, helm tilted. He hummed, leveling the apprentice with a deadpan stare. A rare sight to see such an energetic apprentice not shrouded in misery. Annoying, he’d admit. He breathed, tapping the ground with rigid claws.

He glanced at the moss ball. Playing? Not very productive. “Might I suggest less playing and more training?” He rumbled. “Certainly you have something to do.” He commented, helm tilted. “I’m certain your hunting skills could use some fine tunning, my dear.” She might be a tunneler, but even they needed to know how to hunt, no?
thought speech

──ᨒ↟↟ᨒ↟ᨒ↟↟ᨒ── Curious. I know her mother, but Graypaw's mentor has slipped my mind; perhaps I should ask Sunstride. A degree of self-motivation is valued highly in WindClan, though if Graypaw is freshly from the nursery, an industrious nature may not come as readily to her just yet. "Indeed I have," he says, and he thinks of the lungwort absent from their stores and the moors themselves, of their clanmates journeying to return with it. Until they are here, they have no way of knowing whether those WindClanners are safe.

But such heavy thoughts have no place here. "My apprentice is help enough, though when I leave on another patrol, I will consider asking you and your mentor along." He does not see why he cannot, even if moor runners are generally preferred for such patrols. In the face of Graypaw's bright enthusiasm, it is difficult to say no.

His one-eyed gaze slides toward Fogbound, and Wolfsong shakes his head. "She cannot train without her mentor, whose absence is likely not without reason." Tunneling is much too dangerous to attempt traversing without one's mentor or tunneling partner, he knows. Asking her to train alone is hardly productive, either. "Do you know where they are, Graypaw?" He would suggest she practice with other apprentices, but this early into her training, it would not be a good idea. Their mistakes may become her habits without experienced guidance.
border2.png
little_elli.png
WOLFSONG of WINDCLAN FORMER ROGUE TURNED MEDICINE CAT. 38 MOONS, HE/HIM, NPC X NPC. MATES WITH SUNSTRIDE (07/05/2023). BIOGRAPHY, PINTEREST, & PLAYLIST.
  • ★★★☆☆ WOUNDS: You're (mostly) in safe paws. You'll know if he's less experienced if he asks for your permission to try a treatment. No wound can scare him away from knowledge.
    ★★★☆☆ INFECTION: He can prevent most infections. If you feel feverish, let him know; he'll hum thoughtfully over herbs and sniff your wound before saying, "With your blessing..."
  • ★☆☆☆☆ ACHES & PAINS: If you complain to him of pain, he'll ask where. If it's a headache, you'll likely feel a bit better. For anything else, "Try this, if you'd like, and tell me how you feel."
    ★☆☆☆☆ BROKEN BONES: At best. he can ask you to remain lying down in the den. He may try to distract you with conversation while he considers what herb to feed you.
  • ★★★★★ TRAVELING HERBS: Going somewhere? No worries; Wolfsong knows just what you need to stay hale and healthy during your journey. The rest is up to you.
    ★★☆☆☆ KITTING: Thanks to Starlingheart, he's better prepared for the arrival of kits, but any complications will need a little faith and a lot of luck.
  • ★☆☆☆☆ POISONS: It's best if you avoid eating anything unfamiliar to you— it's probably just as unfamiliar to Wolfsong. The best he can do is offer you yarrow and sit with you.
    ★★☆☆☆ ILLNESS: If it's white or greencough, you'll likely recover. Otherwise, prepare for odd concoctions and the usual request that you consent to a little trial-and-error.

Sparrowpaw is left without a lesson today - a free day bestowed upon her by her mentor. Though Clawtail still expects her to join the patrols he is assigned to for the day, she is grateful for the much-needed break from relentless training. As an amber gaze watches the younger apprentice from the sidelines, the elder can't help but wonder if she was given the day off too, as Graypaw bats around a clump of moss.

It's a game for kits, moss ball - one that she'd never been too partial to in the short time she'd carried a kit name, in the time before that, even. Still, WindClan's games had been an oddity to her, back then - brand new while her nursery mates seemed to have known them all by heart. But, the tunneller apprentice seems quite content in filling her free time with the kit game, and Sparrowpaw doesn't feel the need to question it.

Instead, it is Fogbound who questions it, a snapping inquiry that pulls her gaze away from the younger apprentice and toward the warrior as he rumbles on. She should be training, he says, should be working on her hunting skills. But her mentor isn't around, so what is the younger apprentice meant to do to fill her time?

An ear twitches. Though she trains above ground while the younger trains below, there must be some overlap in skills between them. Besides, perhaps she should be filling her time too, in case the black-and-white tom doesn't approve of Sparrowpaw's own allotment of free time.

"I'll... I'll play with you," she offers to Graypaw, before blinking and looking to Wolfsong and Fogbound for approval. "Or... Train, I mean, if that's okay."

Felines gathered around her, their ages and positions varying. One who smelled of herb and sickness, Wolfsong, while the other stood with what she assumed was an air of dignity. Her ears twitched as the worms spoken by each cat washed over her. Judgment rang in her thoughts and she ducked her head, feeling a rush of embarrassment. Her tail wrapped around her tucked in paws and she stared hard at the grassy earth beneath her. Words could not be found for that moment, only a wash of emotion that made her feel as if she were a fool, or perhaps still trapped in her kittenhood.

"Certainly you have something to do." The voice of the male warrior brought a new sense of sudden disappointment in herself. He looked at her and she wished then that she could hide away, alone, silent; forgotten.

"Yes, Fogbound," she whispered her words in a soft, breathy expanse. "I suppose training would be better." Her green and gold eyes did not move from the specific spot of muddy, trampled grass that she pretended to have lost her attention to. As Wolfsong began to speak, her ears twitched and she lifted her gaze. This time she focused on the one-eyed cat, a small joy crawling from within her belly. She did not feel the judgement or woe that she had felt at the words of Fogbound.

"Do you know where they are, Graypaw?" The question was a simple one but it flushed the she-cat and she slowly shook her head. "No, I don't," she said. Further from her comment came the words of Sparrowpaw, igniting again that sense of delight. Fogbound may have washed he with a fear of her being a failure with any act of complacency, the other apprentice dragged her out from hiding within herself. "I'd love to train or play, whichever works best for you!"