there’s blood on the side of the mountain — sparkspirt

Echolight

for you, i’d steal the stars.
Jul 14, 2022

The grief had not wavered once since her mother had broken the news of Larkfeathers death. It clung to the mother’s fur, her legs felt stuck as though she was wading through the darkness that was her new reality.
The thoughts were relentless, if she had just come back, if she had simply spent more time looking for her family over the border, if she had never gotten captured in the first place.
While Morningsong had been more receptive to their reunion, the tension that radiated from her eldest son was palpable. The calico wanted nothing more to wrap her child into the depths of her fur, to be the shoulder for him to crumble onto as Brightshine had been for her- but that was an impossible gesture, not with the conflict that brewed in Sparkspirits azure gaze, the hurt she would never be able to erase.
Still, she kept a close eye on both of her sons, giving Sparkspirit as much distance as they could both handle.
Yet, as Echolight stumbled upon the fire-laced tom just outside the barn, it was impossible for her to turn away.
I’m not turning away again.
"Sparkspirit…" Echolight murmurs, coming to sit at her sons flank, her heart squeezing at the revelation that he almost surpassed her in height by now, no longer a toddling kit.
"Being your mother has been my single greatest accomplishment. When I was captive, I missed you and your siblings so much it was paralyzing." Her single-eyed gaze is trained forward as her words hitch, and her ear flattens.
"Then, I escaped. I let my fear of Sootstar’s wrath blind me from what has been my biggest priority since the morning you three were born. I should have fought harder, seen for myself that you were safe." Another pause, a shake of her head.
"I cannot let my shame keep you from knowing that I love you, and for better or worse I am your mother. I will bring storms to Sootstar’s paws myself if it ensures your future, and I will never stop fighting for you." Echolight finishes before her voice begins to splinter, turning her focus to settle on Sparkspirits features.

@sparkspirit

"Speech."
[ WHAT A TIME ]