Thistlejump's Change of Heart | Open

dimstars

Jul 4, 2023
Thistlejump had been very satisfied with keeping to herself for most of her life. She had lived by the philosophy that she only needed herself, and while she often made an effort not to come off as rude to her Clanmates, she did not have much to do with them beyond what was necessary, and displayed an incredibly distant yet good-hearted temperament. As a new warrior, her newfound freedom and the increase in responsibilities had made her become a bit wiser. She had realized her unsociable behavior had never done her any favors, and she had begun to long for a confidant other than her own mind. The young feline had become keenly aware of her Clanmates’ strong connections, and in the past couple of moons had become well-acquainted with two very unpleasant feelings; jealousy and loneliness.

Recently she had decided that it would be best for her to strive to forge strong friendships. Yet, making up her mind and acting on her decision were two vastly different things. Despite Thistlejump’s desire, she found it difficult to break the ice with any of her Clanmates. Her nervousness certainly didn’t help in her fruitless endeavor.

She scanned the expanse of ShadowClan camp through an apprehensive hazel gaze, and sensed herself shrink more and more into herself with each cat her stare lingered over. She tightened her pale red tail around her paws. Her head, which she had previously been holding high, dipped a little. The more her eyes searched, the bigger the camp and her Clanmates seemed, and she felt very small and vulnerable. How can I expect to just suddenly make friends? She questioned herself. I thought my life would be better without other cats complicating it. Now everyone probably thinks I’m rude and unapproachable, and they have every reason to think so.

Perhaps I’ll tackle this matter some other time.
She thought, anxious at the idea of boldly approaching anyone. Maybe tomorrow. For the past few weeks, Thistlejump had been saying that to herself. Though she had had brief daily interactions with her Clanmates, she was barely making any progress. She cursed herself for having been content alone for far too long. Now it was so hard to move beyond it.

━━ι═══════ ShadowClan calls home a place of deep, trailing tracts of gloom, and to traverse it requires that they indurate themselves. In so doing, many of the warriors gathered below these broad canopies are inclined to reticence and intractability. When Clearheart first arrived, endearing himself to the others was no simple feat; in truth, it is a path he walks still, treading ever onward. The goal is no longer to earn their esteem, and he finds that living without such pressures has settled his heart.

All this to say that he understands the trials of bond-making in ShadowClan. He lacks Honeyjaw's natural, effortless charisma that bends ears far better than Clearheart, but he does not envy him. He admires those qualities as he can admire the reserved, aloof, and timid among them.

"Good afternoon, Thistlejump," he greets her with polite warmth, sitting a short tail-length away from her. "I will be departing for a hunt after the moon rises, if you would like to join me."

• CLEARHEART / / 40 moons old / / amab and uses masculine pronouns but will also accept the use of neutral terms.
    — a warrior of shadowclan / / currently mentoring dragonflypaw / / excels greatly in combat above most all other skills.
    — former loner who wandered great distances & rarely remained in one place for long / / arrived after the great battle.
    — devoted to starclan above all else (aside from his idea of the common good) / / not prone to enter battle mindlessly.

— of a height slightly above average / / trim and athletic with a sense of immovability about his posture/stance & size.
    — chocolate sepia w/ low white / / fur is quite short for the most part / / tail is naturally bobbed // full-body reference.
    — fairly warm demeanor much of the time; there is a "softness" about his features so that neutrality doesn't seem surly.

— lawful good, in the sense that he likes to maintain order and work toward bettering lives around him without cruelty.
    — often misunderstands figures of speech and may interpret them literally. as such, can seem to lack a sense of humor.
    — deeply genuine; dislikes lying immensely, and so (most of the time) he is wholly earnest, especially with compliments.
  •  
  •  

Thistlejump was brought out of her thoughts at the sound of Clearheart’s voice. Her eyes widened in brief surprise at the tom’s sudden meow, and she raised her head from its lowered position to look at him better. Being in the presence of the more experienced warrior, she became slightly self-conscious and straightened her posture. Thistlejump regarded Clearheart with congeniality in her gaze, and reminded herself once again that she must try to be outgoing. She told herself that as she put in the effort, it would become increasingly natural to her, and the thought brought her some comfort.

“Hello, Clearheart.” She uttered in an amiable and soft tone. Thistlejump would often respectfully decline the invite to hunt with anyone else, but given her recent decision to turn a new leaf, the she-cat determined that she really ought to go out of her comfort zone. “That would be very nice, thank you for inviting me.” Thistlejump offered a small smile to him as she spoke.

After a moment, she fretted that she was coming off as short with him, and added; “How have you been recently?”

Reactions: clearheart
So if ever one finds themselves curious about the result of putting two awkward people in a room together– well, you need only observe this interaction to find out. Clearheart doesn't seem obviously awkward. There's a smoothness to him, like water running off a leaf. Strong and supple, sure, but...well, about as easy to talk to as a leaf too. Thistlejump is more obviously awkward in the way that someone who has not made friends is awkward. And then there's Honeyjaw, who is very much taking pity on the both of them. Leaning against a tree kept him mostly out of sight (if not wholly out of mind, for those that did catch sight of him), and he breaks away from the shadows with an audible chuckle. "Don't ask him that. Really, I mean– for your own sanity. Do you have a particular day in mind?" It's said in a decent enough mimicry of the other warrior's voice, with a mouth that splits into a cheeky smile the closer he gets to the two of them.

"Besides–" He jostles into Clearheart's shoulder, which is a mistake that sends a harsh shock of electricity through every point of contact, but he swallows it sharply and keeps his face well-behaved. He thinks so, anyway. StarClan, he hopes. "Besides. Clearheart's always great. I think it's kind of by force at this point."
border2.png

• ooc:
  • honeyjaw ╱╱ 36 moons old ╱╱ he - him - his ╱╱ warrior of shadowclan.
    ──── a former loner who joined the clan approximately six months ago (give or take).
    ──── named for the deep honey-brown of his pelt as well as his too natural charisma.
    ──── has an apprentice-aged kid he joined with, def scared of watching 'em grow up.
    ──── bisexual- kinda flirtatious yet never seems to really pursue a relationship. single.

a short-furred dark chocolate point tom with the smallest splashes of white on his forehead, front paws, and tail tip. well-built, but overall average in size and unremarkable aside from his lightly curled ears and the magnetism of his smile. seems to show signs of aging earlier than expected, with a salt-and-pepper dusting around his jaw and muzzle.
  • "speech"

• Love
can we leave it behind? Once before Sabletuft had been much better at social etiquette and had a stable set of cats he could call his friends. After the loss of so many friends and loved ones, Sabletuft had become hesitant in letting himself becoming comfortable with his peers. It was an isolating experience, and a phase he was gradually growing past. Perhaps his meetings with Sunnyday had lent a paw in the development. Seeing the trials ThunderClan set against the golden tom, he viewed ShadowClan far more favorable than before.

"No use complaining, after all." The Lead chimed in. "Easier to make do with your situation and go from there." — tags

Just as she had been surprised at Clearheart having approached her, Thistlejump was a bit startled by Honeyjaw’s unexpected advancement from the darkness of the treeline. Her ears pressed back against her head in momentary alarm, before she settled once more. Thistlejump gathered that Honeyjaw would make the conversation a little less calm. She had gotten the impression that he was a boisterous feline. She had been enjoying the awkward but peaceful discussion prior to Honeyjaw’s arrival, as much as one could enjoy an awkward encounter, but she didn’t wish to be rude, so she welcomed him into the conversation with a reserved smile.

“Greetings, Honeyjaw.”
She said pleasantly, while trying to hide her dismay at his sudden appearance.

She noted how roughly Honeyjaw had bumped into Clearheart, and thought to herself that she would not appreciate it much, but Clearheart did not seem to mind. Otherwise, she hoped, he would have said something to Honeyjaw about it.

Thistlejump returned her focus to Clearheart, wondering if he would answer her question. Maybe, she considered, he simply wasn't inclined to speak of his recent moods to a cat who was essentially a stranger to him. “Do Honeyjaw’s words about you ring true? You’re always great?” She inquired, with a small, awkward laugh.

Thistlejump dipped her head in agreement at Sabletuft’s interjection. She felt mildly overwhelmed by the congregation of Honeyjaw, Sabletuft, and Clearheart, but was beginning not to mind a conversation amongst three cats and herself as much as she had initially thought she would. “That’s very true,” She began hesitantly, and was careful not to seem to be challenging his words as she continued; “But I think that there is no shame in lamenting about a bad day, so long as it is not grumbled about for too long.”

Last edited:

━━ι═══════ After she accepts his invitation, he gives a single nod of acknowledgement and confirmation. "You are most welcome." He does not intend to speak further, content with silence in the presence of his fellows that few seem to share, particularly Honeyjaw. Thistlejump may be similarly uncomfortable, as she then asks after his well-being— a slightly vague question, to his mind. Is recently as of today, or yesterday? Or ere yesterday? His answer does not differ greatly, but the distinction may be of some importance to her. She did ask, after all, and he is warmed by her care.

Naturally, Honeyjaw chooses this moment to reveal himself from the nearby tree he had taken to leaning against. Clearheart had wondered for how long he would be content there, but perhaos he was waiting for an opportunity to jest. Accurately, yes. He had intended to ask Thistlejump for clarification, and the corners of his eyes crease with mirth before the comment registers. "I was not aware I could affect her sanity," he says seriously, glancing at Thistlejump with concern. She appears to be well.

Honeyjaw's shoulder collides intentionally with his own, jostling Clearheart slightly. He is glad that Honeyjaw has come to trust him enough for physical interaction. "It is inaccurate," he clarifies for Thistlejump after her laughter has petered out, his dark gaze drifting toward her. "I do strive to upkeep my physical fitness, but I am not without flaws."

He does not answer Sabletuft verbally, studying Honeyjaw's features before the other warrior nearby presents her opinion. "There is no shame in recognizing ills," he concurs, with another glance at the blue-eyed feline. "I have heard it is cathartic."

• CLEARHEART / / 40 moons old / / amab and uses masculine pronouns but will also accept the use of neutral terms.
    — a warrior of shadowclan / / currently mentoring dragonflypaw / / excels greatly in combat above most all other skills.
    — former loner who wandered great distances & rarely remained in one place for long / / arrived after the great battle.
    — devoted to starclan above all else (aside from his idea of the common good) / / not prone to enter battle mindlessly.

— of a height slightly above average / / trim and athletic with a sense of immovability about his posture/stance & size.
    — chocolate sepia w/ low white / / fur is quite short for the most part / / tail is naturally bobbed // full-body reference.
    — fairly warm demeanor much of the time; there is a "softness" about his features so that neutrality doesn't seem surly.

— lawful good, in the sense that he likes to maintain order and work toward bettering lives around him without cruelty.
    — often misunderstands figures of speech and may interpret them literally. as such, can seem to lack a sense of humor.
    — deeply genuine; dislikes lying immensely, and so (most of the time) he is wholly earnest, especially with compliments.
  •  
  •  

Thistlejump observed the genuine worry in Clearheart's voice as he spoke to Honeyjaw regarding his potential to harm her soundness of mind, and she was touched by his concern. "I highly doubt you are capable of impacting my sanity, Clearheart." She assured him. "And it is good to hear that you have the ability to feel a variety of emotions, like the majority of us. I would be very concerned if you couldn't, albeit slightly envious as well."

Clearheart would be a bore if he was, as Honeyjaw had proclaimed, 'always great'. Not only that, but such a cat would spark a flame of jealousy within Thistlejump's heart. She knew that an array of feelings was what made her, and every other cat, unique individuals. She tried to embrace her emotions daily, and thought that the depth of what cats could feel was beautiful. Yet she would not mind a simple day of feeling nothing other than great, for sometimes her feelings were too heavy of a burden, her anxieties transformed into a nasty beast which was too formidable to slay, and on the worst of her days, she felt as if she could shatter under the weight of it all.

Thistlejump recalled her and Clearheart having discussed going on a hunt. "Shall we head out soon?" She asked Clearheart, hoping that he would be still interested in venturing out of camp.