private THNKS FR TH MMRS || sootstar

╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮

Weaselclaw, admittedly, is selective when noticing the subtleties of body language. In battle, the lean tabby hardly misses the tension in a limb, the flexing of claws, eyes darting to the fangs' next target. But when it comes to social things, like the covert flick of an ear, the twitch of the lip, he hopeless and lost.

The way he interacts with Sootstar lets her know he's devoted to her and is subtle in and of itself. He can scent fear, can read discomfort in her like he can in himself, but it's instinctual rather than emotionally intelligent. When it comes to his other Clanmates, and especially those outside of his Clan, Weaselclaw is at a loss if they don't speak their mind.

Jaggedoak is a cat who'd come from the marshes with Sootstar and Hyacinthbreath, an enormous tabby. His loyalties to their leader are solid, undivided -- and Weaselclaw has never thought to question why. After all, Hyacinthbreath is the same way. Lilacstorm had been too, before her sudden disappearance. So what? Plenty of cats had pledged themselves fully to their tiny blue leader.

But even Weaselclaw had seen the whisper that passed from Jaggedoak's enormous muzzle into Sootstar's tiny tufted ear. He'd watched, puzzled at what the big warrior could possibly be saying that would be a secret -- after all, is he not lead warrior, a trusted confidante? But it hadn't been until he'd seen the giant tabby leaving Sootstar's den that he'd felt prickling in his paws.

"Can I speak with you, for a moment?" His voice is gruff, eyes flicking to and fro for evidence of something in Sootstar's den. What, he doesn't know -- there's nothing in there that hadn't been there before, and he should know, having spent nights sharing her nest. But... "May I ask... what did Jaggedoak have to say to you?" He tries to convince himself that it's WindClan business, and if it is, doesn't he deserve to know? He isn't Duskfire and understands and respects that, but Sootstar does not keep things from him. At least -- he doesn't think she does.

Sootstar is half-started by the abrupt voice of Weaselclaw. She had been idly staring at the wall of her den when he had poked his head in and sounded his gruff voice. Regaining her composure swiftly she rises into a sitting position and beckons him forward, "Yeah, always." She shoots back, noting immediately that something seemed... off. Was he displeased with recent events around WindClan? Her heart-rate quickens at the thought of his disapproval, and she didn't care much for what a majority thought.

An infinite amount of weight is removed from her shoulders when he reveals his inquiry... and there's a snort. "Oh, is that jealously I'm picking up on?" She teases, half-tempted to teasingly run a paw over the tufts of fur on his head but... she doesn't want to over do it. Her facial features grow more serious, "Jaggedoak was worried about the state of the clan and how we are going to manage without Honeytwist." Sootstar fears that sounds more like a convinent excuse than the truth, though it really was what occurred. "Swear on StarClan." She adds to display her honesty.

"Maybe you were picking up on something that exists no longer?" Sootstar suggests, she probably should've told him this a long time ago but... now was likely a good time to reveal it to him. "Do you want me to tell you?"

55572985_s7ZhWDqrAZy3Szu.png

( primary character / "speech" / ic opinions )

╰ ★ ჻ 001 GENERAL INFORMATION ,
· SOOTSTAR, female — she / her
╰ ‣ 31 moons . pisces. ages on the first
╰ ‣ windclan leader . marsh-born . believes in starclan
╰ ‣ former soldier of the marsh group

╰ ★ ჻ 002 VISUALS & AESTHETICS ,
· DOMESTIC FELINE, smells like heather and wet dirt , status — 100%
╰ ‣ blue smoke . scarred chest, difficult to see through fur . green eyes

╰ ★ ჻ 003 MENTALITY & MANNERISMS ,
· ESTJ-A ❝
EXECTUTIVE ❞ , Slytherin, Lawful Evil
╰ ‣ Cunning, brash, fierce, confident, self-reliant, envious & selfish
╰ ‣ finds great difficulty in relating to others . can be cruel, usually shows mercy to those she can find sympathy with
╰ ‣ Appreciates titles such as "miss, m'am" etc

╰ ★ ჻ 004 INTERACTIONS & RELATIONSHIPS ,
· SOOT CLAW x PEBBLE BREEZE, sister to Pebblenose
╰ ‣ heterosexual. romantically interested in Weaselclaw
╰ ‣ mother to owlpaw & shrikepaw
╰ ‣ average fighter . skilled hunter .
╰ ‣ will start fights . unlikely to flee .
╰ ‣ attack in underline . penned by user @ava.

╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮

He can tell by the initial stunned look on her face that he's startled her with his gruffness, his sudden appearance in her den, but as always, Sootstar is as cool and immutable as ice. Her composure comes back like a silken veil falling over her lovely white-tufted face. Weaselclaw himself is kneading his white paws into the dirt, anxiety -- a feeling he's never experienced before -- eating into the lining of his stomach.

Sootstar tells him Jaggedoak had simply been worried about the state of the Clan after Honeytwist's exile. Weaselclaw exhales softly. He believes her. She has never given him a reason not to. "That's understandable. He's not the only one, I'm sure." The exile had been swift, merciless. He knows there are those in the Clan who feel Sootstar should have denied Pitchstar's demands, but Weaselclaw is not one of them.

"Maybe you were picking up on something that exists no longer?" Weaselclaw's gaze sharpens. "What do you mean? With Jaggedoak?" He blinks, that jealous burn singing his fur again. She offers to tell him, and although part of him wants nothing better than to just leave, he gives her a curt nod. "Yes, I would," he says, settling onto his haunches across from her.

Well, he goes nothing... shouldn't be a big deal, right?
"When we were young, about thirteen moons, we liked each other. Thought it was love. Presented as a couple." She reveals to the chocolate tabby, moving her blue tail off her paws. Vivid eyes search his pretty blue one's for emotion, negative or otherwise. "Couple moons down the line we both mutually agreed we weren't what we thought we were. We weren't in love and parted ways. Jagged Oak isn't my type, and he never will be again."

Jagged Oak, Flint, both incompatible with the fiery Soot for opposite reasons. The big burly tom-cat she had always viewed as merely a friend, mistook that feeling of care for him for romantic love. She had been young. Then Flint? She never saw much in him aside from a handsome appearance, love she had not felt for him either...

This brown tabby in front of her though? No he was not burly, no most would not describe him as "out of this world handsome", but to Sootstar he was. In the end it was not appearance that won her over, but wit, loyalty, understanding, care, and companionship. She hoped with every fiber of her being she could give this tom back what he's given her. "I'm sorry for not telling you sooner."

The blue molly aims to press her forehead affectionately against his chest, "You're the only one in my sights, and the only one I want by my side." She steps back and looks him in the eyes, "You know that, right?"

55572985_s7ZhWDqrAZy3Szu.png

( primary character / "speech" / ic opinions )

╰ ★ ჻ 001 GENERAL INFORMATION ,
· SOOTSTAR, female — she / her
╰ ‣ 31 moons . pisces. ages on the first
╰ ‣ windclan leader . marsh-born . believes in starclan
╰ ‣ former soldier of the marsh group

╰ ★ ჻ 002 VISUALS & AESTHETICS ,
· DOMESTIC FELINE, smells like heather and wet dirt , status — 100%
╰ ‣ blue smoke . scarred chest, difficult to see through fur . green eyes

╰ ★ ჻ 003 MENTALITY & MANNERISMS ,
· ESTJ-A ❝
EXECTUTIVE ❞ , Slytherin, Lawful Evil
╰ ‣ Cunning, brash, fierce, confident, self-reliant, envious & selfish
╰ ‣ finds great difficulty in relating to others . can be cruel, usually shows mercy to those she can find sympathy with
╰ ‣ Appreciates titles such as "miss, m'am" etc

╰ ★ ჻ 004 INTERACTIONS & RELATIONSHIPS ,
· SOOT CLAW x PEBBLE BREEZE, sister to Pebblenose
╰ ‣ heterosexual. romantically interested in Weaselclaw
╰ ‣ mother to owlpaw & shrikepaw
╰ ‣ average fighter . skilled hunter .
╰ ‣ will start fights . unlikely to flee .
╰ ‣ attack in underline . penned by user @ava.

╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮

Sootstar speaks, expression calm, green eyes neutral and yet searching within the depths of his blue ones. What is she looking for? Resentment, anger, surprise? Weaselclaw holds her gaze, listening to her with a slow-beating heart thudding behind his ribcage.

"Jaggedoak isn't my type, and he never will be again."

Perhaps, if Weaselclaw were a different sort of tom, he'd ask more questions. Demand to know when she'd last felt anything romantic or otherwise for Jaggedoak. Yell at her for keeping the secret with a Clanmate so near them all the time.

But he only gives her a curt nod, and tension visibly leaves his shoulders.

Sootstar presses herself against him, forehead buried in the soft white fur of his chest. "You're the only one in my sights, and the only one I want by my side." His breath hitches, but only momentarily. "You know that, right?"

He gazes back at her for a beat before a smile twitches at his lips. "I don't know why, or how, but I'll always take your word for it." He lowers his head so it rests between her tufted ears. "Your word is as good as the word of StarClan to me. You're the only one I want by my side, too." A rocky purr starts in his throat as he adds, "Well. By my ribs, I guess." A short joke -- he can't help himself.

• Love
Reactions: SOOTSTAR