tunnels Threw My Voice Into the Dark | NEW TUNNEL DISCOVERY

Cloudedsky

The Forgotten One
Apr 3, 2023
( ) Winding within the tunnels, the damp air underneath the moorland was always crisp with the smell of heather and peat moss. She moves at a slower pace than normal, patrolling the catacombs that rabbits amd hares had previously laid out; reinforced further by the work of the tunnelers. She keeps close to the wall with ivory whiskers barely brushing the smoothing surface, sunburst gaze kept ahead but blinded by the lack of light. It had been a while, hadn't it? She was sure there was a turn up here somewhere, a turn to lead her deeper into the catacombs. She slows to a stop, flicking her tail against the tunneler behind her. "Isn't there a turn somewhere? I've been down this way so many times before with Sootstar—" She huffs a bit in frustration, tufted ears pulling back as she thought of her mother. A sparing glance the leader gave her at the previous meeting had left her a bit frazzled, but she was certain it was just the setting of the mood. Sootstar was angry and worried all in the same—a possible attack from two clans would be detrimental to WindClan, being heavily outnumbered. So, she had shaken it off—it was just a look, nothing more.
Realizing she had stayed silent for a moment, she shakes her head to rid those thoughts. With a clear of her vocal chords, Cloudedsky resumes her patrol with a more brisk pace than before. The tunnel continued to wind and she followed, only the sensation or touch and smell her only eyes. The tunnel suddenly veers left and she follows it without much thought, but this time the soil begins to smell more stagnant than before. A dusted pink nose scrunched up in distaste, this was certainly different. The walls here felt more damp than that of the moor—the soil felt more rich. The splotched warrior pauses again, this time more abruptly. "Do you feel it?" She murmurs to the patrol behind her. "The air—the air is different. The smell is—oak? Leaves?" She opens her maw to taste it further, letting the scent of moss and leaf litter bathe her tongue. Her head flits back to the others, invisible gaze widening in shock. Could it be...?

"Come on, let's keep going." She carefully paws forward, letting the richness of oak drive her forward. As she continued, the soil grew more moist here and it caked her patched paws. It was similar to the tunnels in ShadowClan—long forgotten and unstable; but wheras the smell of the bog would be near insufferable, this was much more pleasant. It swathes her and caresses her gently, luring her farther and farther in. They're soon surrounded by the scent and it's completely unmistakable. They were under ThunderClan territory. A tingling of excitement nipped at her paws and a smile crinkles her under features. Oh, Sootstar would be so pleased! She'd be so proud of them for finding this new discovery, proud of her for leading them to it! She can just imagine the glowing look of pride upon her mother's face, approval seeping off the Moorland Queen like sugared sap. "We found a tunnel into ThunderClan territory!" She gasped, whirling to meet the face of the cat behind her. "Just like ShadowClan!"

( You should see me in a crown ; I'm gonna run this nothing town )

"the wolf comes in the night when your mind is trying to sleep"

Curlew had been joining every patrol he could in his attempt to avoid Badgermoon, so when Cloudedsky said she was going to check some of the outer edges of the tunnels, he leapt on the opportunity. At the younger cat’s signal, the tom came to a halt. ”The turn is on the left,” he meowed. ”Two tail-lengths ahead, I think.” Curlew knew the tunnels well, though he had to admit that those along the border were less familiar. He had noticed the change in the soil under his paws but had thought nothing of it. Now, though… he sped up to keep pace with Cloudedsky, mouth open to catch the tang of the tunnel’s dirt. The further they went, the more unmistakable the scent was: Thunderclan.

The she-cat’s excitement fed his own, and a purr settled into his chest. A new tunnel to explore and reinforce… he couldn’t wait to tell Sootstar; this was just the good news they needed this moon. ”Let’s go tell the others! Oh, this is such good news!”

✦ ★ ✦

"MAY YOUR FEET SERVE YOU WELL, AND THE REST BE SENT TO HELL"

It was a little strange, being inside the tunnels without her long term partner. The news that she was soon to head into the nursery hit her harder then she thought it would. After all, when a she-cat got the exciting news that they would be having kits, it was customary for friends and clanmates to be happy for them and to celebrate the new life that they could bring into the clan for the next generation. But the anxiety of having to go out into the tunnels with someone new or even by herself put a sour taste to her trying to enjoy the news.

Instead of allowing herself to be to afraid to go back in alone, Redrumble decided to pour herself more into the work. She would have to tet used to it without Scorchstreak and it was best to start immediately. Plus, she was following an offspring of Sootstar, and they were bound to be starclan blessed. The tabby highly doubted that the ancestors from above would smite a family member of the stars, after all.

To lost in her own thoughts as she followed along, she didn't pay to much attention to what the warriors were saying up front. It was only when the scents started to change that she really started to notice the difference in environment. Softer earth, moister air. She could even smell what she assumed was trees.... But that wasn't right... The moorlands didnt have trees. But then that could only mea-

Her thoughts were cut off by the outloud confirmation from Cloudedsky: They were under Thunderclan territory. That made sense! They were the territory with the giant trees, unlike Shadowclan's low hanging ones that draped over their swamps. Those tunnels didnt smell nearly as nice as these! Still, this was excellent news, as even the warriors ahead start celebrating at the new discover.

Redrumble gave a bright, toothy grin at the current patrol that happened upon the discovery. ❝ I agree with Curlewnose! We should turn back and tell Sootstar immediately. I'll sure she'll be estatic about this news!! ❞ Looking over the shoulders of the two ahead, she then looked back the way we came. ❝ We should mark off our path on the way back so we know where to come so we can explore further!!
⊱ ♞ ⊰

CAUTION TAPE AROUND MY HEART
marmotpaw | 05 months | female | she/her | physically easy | mentally medium | attack in bold #9ab973
Marmot is never happy to be stuck on patrol with more than just her partner - but, she thinks, as they emerge into an unexplored area, perhaps it was worth it after all. Mismatched gaze glints in the darkness of the tunnel as ears prick up - the first to speak is one of sootstars older brood, though one marm has deemed unimportant. another chimes in, swiftly followed by redrumble - one of those strange rogues. Hm. "to thunderclan?" she says absently, though it is more herself than to the other patrol. She'll have to start memorizing this newest route too, after all. She just hums in agreement at the suggestion they go back to camp - find sootstar, report to their almighty leader. She wonders if she'll be pleased.

( ) If there was any light within these tunnels, the smile that was planted upon her face would sure enough become blinding. Her cheeks ached from it, though that'd not stop her in the slightest. The scent of oak and leaves swathes her dusted pink nose, so different from the sand and heather smell she was so accustomed to. "I can't believe it! Though—I wonder if..." She trails off, her mind spinning and whirling around as if caught in a wind storm. "Do you think we should check? Just in case we're wrong?" How could we be though? The smell is too strong for it to not be. The tunneler clicks her tongue against gnashed teeth from behind, blue tail twitching as she mulls it over. If she were to breach the surface, she'd possibly give away their position or even come across a patrol. No, we can't take that chance. We just have to trust the scent.
Redrumble and Curlewnose's voices then greet her ears, shifting forward to fully listen and she nods eagerly. "Yes! Yes we should report back to Sootstar immediately." Think of how proud she'll be! She'll be so pleased! On Redrumble's notion to mark where it was, the patched molly presses herself to the wall in order to squeeze by the patrol. "I know I felt a rather large stone here somehwere—" Her paws begin to place carefully along the edges, moving blindly along until she felt the smooth and gritty surface of one right by the wall. "Here! We can use this. It's noticeable, right?" Her head swivels back to the group before pushing it with some ease. Soil falls upon her head that causes her to freeze, heavy thumps along the surface raining grit down on them. Paw steps, perhaps? "Its—a bit shifty, but I think it'll hold till we start constructing it."

( You should see me in a crown ; I'm gonna run this nothing town )