pafp TREADING FRIGID WATER — prey pile

Iciclefang still simmers beneath her pelt when she recalls the sardonic tilt of Lichenstar's smile in their den. "Good thing," they'd rasped, "I'm telling you to welcome a RiverClanner, then." The tortoiseshell had remained smooth-pelted, her expression stoic and obedient, but her eyes had gleamed with silver frost. What made one a RiverClanner, she wonders—Lichenstar preaches that it is not blood, but what else does Splashpaw lay claim to? Her toes are webbed for treading through algae-thick waters; her pelt still stinks of the marsh, of mud cool as slime, of cedar and shadow. A simple rinse in the rivers isn't enough to make her RiverClan, just as Pinekit's sturdy build does not make her suitable for a life in dense undergrowth.

The queen herds her daughter toward the fresh-kill pile, something mutinous gleaming in her gaze when she catches sight of a snow-flecked ebony coat. "I'm afraid you won't find many frogs here," she says, her voice like cool, rippling water. She flicks the white tip of her tail against Pinekit's mottled flank. "Or is it tadpoles you're looking for?" She sniffs, then murmurs, "Do you remember which Clan eats frogs, Pinekit?"

• ooc: @Pinekit ⭒ @splashpaw
  • DEuJTnr.jpg
  • Iciclekit . Iciclepaw . Iciclefang, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 24 moons old, ages realistically on the 17th.
    — mentored by Smokestar ; mentoring Cicadapaw ; previously mentored n/a
    — riverclan lead warrior & queen. mudpelt x icesparkle, gen 2.
    — former mate to Stormywing ; current mate to no one.
    — penned by Marquette.

sh tortoiseshell and white she-cat with ice-blue eyes. confident, capable, proud, dry, conceited, condescending, distrustful.

davdc5b-aa3c7f11-4e3a-4552-bc32-4c0277ee236c.png
-ˋˏ ༻ ❆༺ ˎˊ- Pinekit had been on her very best behavior since the last time she had decided to rebel against her normal behavior, but it seemed an over-correction had been born. She was more of a mirror of her mother than ever, having even studied the way she carried herself with a certain poise. While Pinekit’s stockier frame made moving around as languid as she nearly impossible, as she marched on by Iciclefang’s will, she kept her chin held high to a point and her shoulders were squared. When they arrive to what seemed to be their destination, Pinekit is quick to look up towards Iciclefang, unable to resist the urge to quirk her brow, a reflection of her curiosity.
Pupils expand and thin, settling eerily still on the poor soul that had gotten caught in the web that was her mothers radar.
I’m afraid you won’t find many frogs here, her mother hums, though the she-kit had grown accustomed to her mothers tones to know that her words were leading to something bigger, they were probing. When Pinekit finally sees the who of this equation, she has to take a couple of blinks.
Splashpaw, admittedly Pinekit knew very little of the other, one day she had kind of just… appeared, asking to join in her and Dizzypaw’s game of dress-up. Even Shellpaw had seemed unnerved by Splashpaw, who looked as harmless as Robinheart’s newest litter.
A tail brushes against Pinekit’s ribs, and honeyed hues are quick to seek purchase in frosted blue.
Do you remember which Clan eats frogs, Pinekit?
Her mothers intentions behind this question are foggy, but the brindled kitten is smart enough to know that whatever it was, her response better not disappoint. Following her mothers lead like the sponge she is, Pinekit’s eyes clip back to Splashpaw, her chin lifting as though she was about to make a sharp point. Perhaps the apprentices body language would be able to reveal more than Iciclefang’s. “Shadowclan?” She chirps, blinking slowly as she recalls the basics that had been taught to her and her brothers. “The cats that live… in the swampland, right?” A tilt of her head when she turns back to Iciclefang. If her adventurous prodding hadn’t yet crossed a line, she’d only allow a small pause between her sentences. “The mud.”

• PINEKIT she/her, kit of riverclan, 4 moons.
    plush-furred tortoiseshell she-kit with white dipped forepaws, tail tip, and muzzle and round, honey hued optics.
    daughter of Iciclefang && Stormywing ࿏ sister to Cragkit && Crabkit
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by Noor@toyangel on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

Last edited:
Splashpaw does not mean to join mother and daughter by the fresh-kill pile. Happenstance is a cruel mistress somehow, but the black furred she-cat does not see that quite yet. She doesn't pick through the prey, waiting patiently for Iciclefang to pull something out for her child - when the lead warrior, instead, speaks with her.

"Hmm?" Splashpaw hums, clearly caught off guard. Frogs? She's seen one or two since her arrival, but the queen isn't wrong to say that there are none in with the freshly caught meals. With mention of tadpoles, Splashpaw offers a smile, "Those would be quite hard to add to the pile -" and she would've expressed how they're too small, too wiggly, but Iciclefang's attention sinks to her small daughter. A lesson. She notes how the words are curious but the tone isn't kind - Iciclefang looks down her nose at Splashpaw, teaching her daughter to do the same.

Oh... Splashpaw's smile doesn't waver. She's seen this song and dance in ShadowClan with cats that weren't as close minded. Perhaps she's the fool for believing the she-cat to include her in kind and not in jest. Pinekit offers her answer, pointedly, like her mother, and Splashpaw grieves for a moment the idea of an amicable friendship between any of them. She withholds a sigh, hoping that she won't experience another encounter like this (however she knows she will.)

"You're pretty smart," Splashpaw compliments, flicking her tail in a gentle manner. Her smile still doesn't fade, "When I was your age, I couldn't tell anyone much about the Clans. Your mentor will be grateful to have you, I'm sure of it." She then turns to the queen, acknowledging her rank with a dip of her head. "Were you looking for a frog? I can be sure to catch one on my next patrol, if you've not tried it yet. New things are scary, but it's nice to keep an open mind...!" Hopeful, the she-cat extends the courtesy.​

Pinekit's answer is sure, quick. "ShadowClan," the kitten queries, peering up at her mother with gleaming golden eyes. "The cats that live... in the swampland, right? The mud." The tortoiseshell queen's nose finds the soft spot behind her daughter's ear and she murmurs, "That's right. Excellent job." She straightens, her blue gaze lingering on Splashpaw's. The she-cat is cheery, even if falsely so, and Iciclefang wants to sigh. She wants to yell at this impudent apprentice, still so young and clumsy-pawed, wants to yell, "Where is the mother who birthed you, who raised you? Where is the mentor your leader entrusted you to? Where are the kin who mourn your disappearance?"

She cannot say any of this, however. Lichenstar seems to think RiverClan will not notice a ShadowClan apprentice amidst them, seems to think ShadowClan won't suspect them of kitnapping, but she will ensure her children know the truth. You belong here, and she belongs there.

"Thank you for the offer," Iciclefang responds to Splashpaw, her voice cool and unwavering. "I must decline. My kits eat RiverClan prey... and so do I." There's nothing threatening in the queen's demeanor, in her tone—in fact, if one looked hard enough, they'd see a sadness she contorts to conceal.

Would that I never stand in your mother's paws, Splashpaw.

• ooc:
  • DEuJTnr.jpg
  • Iciclekit . Iciclepaw . Iciclefang, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 24 moons old, ages realistically on the 17th.
    — mentored by Smokestar ; mentoring Cicadapaw ; previously mentored n/a
    — riverclan lead warrior & queen. mudpelt x icesparkle, gen 2.
    — former mate to Stormywing ; current mate to no one.
    — penned by Marquette.

sh tortoiseshell and white she-cat with ice-blue eyes. confident, capable, proud, dry, conceited, condescending, distrustful.

Splashpaw is another cat among the influx of unfamiliar faces. Unlike most of the others, she wasn’t a kittypet and therefore was likely capable of being a warrior. No one knew where she came from, for certain, and Twinklekit doesn’t care too much- since she’s not a kittypet. However that doesn’t stop the unfamiliar feline from making the silver-masked kit weary, strangers always did.

”Frogs?” Twinklekit mews, it sounded like they were talking about… eating them. She sticks her tongue out, ”The elders told me they hop around in your belly if you eat them. That’s why ShadowClan… um… ShadowClan cats are always so cranky.” She believes it, she would be too if her prey continued to move around in her stomach!
  • » Twinklekit
    » RiverClan Kit
    » She/her . AFAB
    » A pretty blue lynx sepia with blue eyes
    » ”Speech”thoughtsattack
  • » A meager kitten, defeating her is no boastful feat.
    » Excels in hiding, running from danger.
    » Fights defensively to survive.
    » May powerplay minor harm. Can powerplay healing

d523icN.jpeg

Change is not something that Graykit has ever adapted well to. Change is the monster that takes his entire world and flips him onto his belly, exposing his soft underside. It is an extra nest in the nursery where it doesn't belong, robbing him of his favorite napping spot, it is the older kits becoming apprentices without him, leaving him with less and less. It's Eveningkit disappearing, everyone disappearing and leaving him with absolutely nothing, and it's this stranger who suddenly materialized in their camp, smelling like cahnge. He doesn't like it. He doesn't like her.

He watches the exchange with a muted expression, the thin press of his lips and his dull green eyes an unreadable mask. It's good to keep an open mind she says as she asks them to try frog. His nose wrinkles immediately, though not because the taste of frog is something that he knows to be gross. He has never tried it before. No. His nose wrinkles because it is something different, something unwelcome and because Iciclefang says it is not RiverClan food. "Yeah, I've heard that too!" he says, nodding his head along with Twinklekit's words.

He had heard, admittedly, not a great deal of many things about ShadowClan but he looks at the stranger now with suspicion in his narrowed young eyes. "Have you ever tried frog?" he asks, fluffy tail swinging behind him impassively.
EpC61GT.png

• 5RlyhZs.jpeg

• KXcjaby.png
    GRAYKIT RIVERCLAN KITTEN ; HE / HIM
    LILYBLOOM X LAKEMOON BROTHER TO SNOWKIT
    A plush coated kitten with a pelt marbled in varying shades of gray and white. He has dull green eyes and a tall stature. Most of his personality can be described as carefree though some also say that unmotivated is a more than apt term. His trust and love is easily won through praise but he will do little work to receive it.
    easy in battle + no formal training

Foxtail finds his way heading over to the prey pile, his belly silently rumbling. Without a doubt, there are a couple new faces present in RiverClan camp as of late. First is the young Splashpaw.... whom arrived in the apprentice's den after Lichenstar's first gathering as leader. He remembers how Lichenstar proclaimed that the young ebony feline was of RiverClan blood, and the newly promoted lead warrior had no reason to doubt his leader. He heard how well she's excelled in the water, her paws are webbed like his, and her name couldn't be anymore fitting to solidify that she belongs here. ...But he knows that not every RiverClanner is going to have the same view as him. And as he gets closer to the prey pile, his tears twitch at Iciclefang's voice. "I'm afraid you won't find many frogs here. .... Do you remember which Clan eats frogs, Pinekit?"

Pinekit answers the question quite innocently, in the tom's own opinion, and he feels some relief in his chest that the ebony furred apprentice doesn't allow Icicilefang's question to catch her off-guard. She meows back with a smile, admiring Pinekit's vast knowledge, and offering to catch a frog for Iciclefang. Not to his surprise, his fellow lead warrior declines the offer with a cool, yet unwavering tone. "I must decline. My kits eat RiverClan prey... and so do I." Foxtail's tail swishes nervously.... and he looks over at Splashpaw. "I-If you manage to c-catch one in RiverClan territory," Foxtail mews to Splashpaw, hoping Iciclefang's comments weren't getting to the young she-cat, "I'd be happy to t-try it." The innocent comments from Twinklekit shouldn't get to her, he thinks, what the elders tell the kits isn't exactly true all the time. Does a fish flop in a RiverClanner's belly, like how they flop around on the shore? Of course they don't! An ear flicks as Graykit mews in agreement, and Foxtail gives the ebony apprentice a light smile. "Do you know what they t-taste like?"

• 82418929_FoLQDUUK9zQigyb.png

credit to raphaelion (via da) for the artwork <3
  • Foxtail
    lead warrior
    20 moons
    warmhearted
    timid
    experience: trained
    backstory: [HYPERLINK]
    biography: [HYPERLINK]
    credit to meghan for the chibi <3
    cisgender male [he / him]
    eyes: green
    pelt: cinnamon/chocolate
    fur length: long
    parents: dawnflower and redfur (riverclan npcs)

Last edited:

dd7rnmq-573746d8-568e-4514-85d0-0ea98764e7ae.gif
-ˋˏ ༻ ❆༺ ˎˊ- The praise that spills for her mothers jaw is warmer than any of the suns rays, and she reaches her nose skywards at her mothers encouraging touch. Splashpaw’s praise is unexpected, but welcomed as Pinekit’s smug grin grows slightly. “Yeah, well I’m gonna be real important one day. So.” There isn’t a drop of doubt in Pinekit’s nonchalant words as a shrug pinches her shoulders together. The interaction that follows between Iciclefang and Splashpaw is downright strange, the latters overly-sweetened words falling flat against her mothers chill. My kits eat Riverclan prey… and so do I. Pinekit tips her chin upwards to give her mother an earnest grin. Duh, Riverclans the best.
Eveningkit and Graykit come traipsing over, and Pinekit is quick to use a claw to snag at a minnow within reach. “They’re swamp cats, I’d be grumpy too.” The tortoiseshell scoffs in the direction of both her denmates. Unable to hide the disdain that pinches at her youthful features when Graykit asks Eveningkit if she’s ever tried a frog. Foxtail says he’d be willing. Yuck. I heard they can pop open, right in your face.” As if to further demonstrate, alabaster forepaws fly upwards, imitating an exploding frog.

• PINEKIT she/her, kit of riverclan, 2 moons.
    plush-furred tortoiseshell she-kit with white dipped forepaws, tail tip, and muzzle and round, honey hued optics.
    daughter of Iciclefang && Stormywing ࿏ sister to Cragkit && Crabkit
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by Noor@toyangel on discord, feel free to dm for plots.