sensitive topics unneeded, washed away | kit in the river

B

BOAR

- trigger warning for abuse

She always tried to be good. Always attempted to do as she was told, always listened and never spoke. Words often got her in trouble and soon enough she had lost her voice in her needed to see some semblance of love or anything in her mother. The young child endured all the hits, the scraps, the shoving and the knocking down. wounds fresh and old smelling bitter and and uncleaned. This day she merely follows after her mother when she tells her to come with her, does not even attempt to think to make a different choice for herself. It's what she should do, nothing more. It's what her mother wants anyway and that is all that matters, not her own choices, her mother's. So she follows after and she has never been to the river before and for her young kit eyes it is a sight to see. She wonders and wonders what they are doing here and for the first time her mother tells her in a gentle voice to get closer. To see the water that moves by and without much though she creeps closer with a twitching nose. It's pretty, the water makes a pretty noise and then it doesn't. A force grabs her and even though the molly is not well fed, she is vicious in what she plans to do. She throws the child into the water because she knows that she can not swim. The splash music to her ears as she watches the flailing form with eager eyes.

A mere dot of midnight and fire flails in the pushing waters, she's never been in this before. Only seen small bowls of them left out to drink in the small gardens of the cats that stay with them. Wide green eyes try to find her mother, but the water keeps shoving her head back down into the waves. The bubbling in her ears is so loud and she flashes small claws to try and grip at something, anything that can be within reach as small lungs feel like they are about to burst. Back hits a rock, pain shudders up her spine and she clutches stone, shaking and losing strength. She can't do this, she can't hold on and she looks towards her mother who only smiles with amusement.

-- alright, boar is holding on with little strength to a large rock in the river, mom is just watching so go get her. someone can save boar while someone gets mom

( ) they're not apart of riverclan. at this point in time, it's likely they'll never be. but the waters that flow through the territory are not the clan's property. caraway knows they have as much right to the place as they do. they'll refrain from thinking if not more. so they feel perfectly content sunbathing upon a narrow tree branch, verdant gaze fixated on the rushing of the stream over smooth river stones. a soft yawn stretches their jaws, and they roll slightly, feeling the sun warm their back in a comforting hug. as sleepiness sets in, the loner allows their eyes to drift shut for but a moment. interrupting their much needed relaxation is a loud splash and the sound of struggle. sage eyes shoot open and the long legged feline is on their paws in an instant, claws out to grip the low hanging branch. from where they are, they can see in the distance a flailing shape, some sort of animal struggling to keep their head above water. on the bank above, a feline sits, calmly watching.

flames rising in their chest, caraway leaps from their perch, bounding along the rocky shoreline towards the commotion. as they get closer they can make out the form of the kit as she tumbles under water, and the femme will send an incredulous look toward who they assume is the mother on shore. "what happened?" they call, not even really caring for a response. "the kid is drowning! what are you doing?" pausing for only the briefest of moments, the smoke stares at the mother, a snarl curling on their lip. useless. taking a deep breath, they leap into the water themself, strong legs pushing against the current and out toward the middle of the river. here, their claws only barely scrape the bottom and they glance around wildly, eyes finally catching the mottled pelt of the kid as she clutches a stone. swimming smoothly over, caraway can feel the weight of the water pulling at their fur. they attempt to shout over the noise; "i'm here to help you! when i put my shoulder under you, grab on!" hoping the child hears, they dive, attempting to swim under the kid and push up with their shoulders so that boar can grab on with her claws.
// hope this was okay! wasn't sure if i should powerplay or not

( THE LIGHT YOU GAVE ME )

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ She'd only come out to explore her new home. Much has happened in such a short amount of time, and Fox does not know still how to untangle the mess of events in her head. All she knows is that she is a RiverClan cat now, and she must learn to love the river, the fish flashing silver beneath its surface, the songs of the different insects and fauna surrounding them.

But her excursion is met with confusion, chaos. Fox's eyes dart first to the molly standing on the riverbank, watching the rippling surface of the water with a curious smile. Then to a black smoke feline who snarls at the other before darting into the river. Finally, to the flailing ginger and black scrap of fur who mewls and clings helplessly to a rock amidst the current.

Her fur spikes with terror. She can't swim, not yet, and she does not know the dark loner, but she hates the helpless feeling rooting her to the shore. A kit, younger than her siblings, left to almost drown by what seems to be their mother.

"What are you doing?" She turns to the queen who has sacrificed her kit, astonishment glowing rich in her honeyed eyes. "Why-- why didn't you save her!"

Dewdrop would have drowned a thousand times over before letting one of them sink below the waves. How could a mother watch her kitten die and do nothing, smile vaguely as though someone has told an off-color joke?

Fox's enormous red tail fluffs out behind her, and she growls. She can't take a fully grown cat on, but the temptation to attack is strong. She bares her teeth. "Help them save your kit!"
✦ PENNED BY MARQUETTE.

− ♱ ABOUT : they were settling along the river, their new clan. a few troublesome water cats had given them an issue, but they were outnumbered — more had followed him than he’d anticipated. pine cats had come with him, their eyes trained on the water more so than him . . rains name had not yet come up, tongues held for reasons he couldn’t explain. perhaps they were just as desperate to leave the forest as he was. perhaps they just wanted into the group he now leads, an easy access to him. vulnerability. he’d moved to his own den, into the dip of an old, coiled willow tree laced with reeds dark enough to camouflage his mottled pelt shortly after arrival. the smoke wasn’t used to isolation ; community had been a staple in his life since early childhood, and hare whiskers had extended his paw in the same way. sleeping alone was something he would have to adjust to, though the gentle breeze that drifts from the churning river made it marginally easier. he watched it now, paws just dipping into the water and frigid luminaries cast out towards the brilliant blue horizon.

he hears the commotion before he sees it, caraways voice sounding in the distance. their voice was harsh, accusatory and his gaze snaps towards them. they’re in the water before he’s even to his paws, running towards the scene and craving his neck to see . . a kitten. his heart drops and long limbs push him further, “ what are you doing? what happened? “ it’s snarled, dripping with venom as he stalks to close the gap between himself and the pair at the shore — fox’s fur is bristled out and he imagines his is in a state very similar, “ give me one reason you shouldn’t be thrown in that river and left to drown yourself, coward rat!

• CICADA ; he / him, roughly thirty seven months old, riverclan leader
    − tall black smoke tortie chimera with icecap eyes and curly fur, homosexual
    − speaks with a german accent, attack in #171717, penned by antlers

• none.

Beatrice jolts out of her own silent excitement when someone else comes racing up to her. She stares almost dumbfounded for she had not thought that there would be other cats around this barren place. Seems like she is wrong and it bothers her slightly. This carefully crafted plan can all go up in smoke and she tries to say something but she is too late as the other feline is splashing through the waters, smoothly swimming. To rescue something unwanted. "No!" Her voice brittle yet a fierce shriek pierces across the river and the solid black molly is on her paws, fur bristling along her spine. "Let that thing drown!" She doesn't want it. She doesn't need the kit in her life, that burdenous beast. So ugly. She isn't about to go into the water though and she scratches at the shoreline hoping the cat doesn't reach that worm in time.

Her attention is sharply taken by another voice. Hissing at her about why she isn't saving her kit. Telling her to do so and she sneers. "That thing is not mine. Don't ever make that assumption again." Though the other's assumptions is truth to the core. Beatrice will never admit to it, never claim that as her own. The skinny and frail woman suddenly backs up as another figure comes, one looking more angry. Maybe even more dangerous. Her eyes cut to the side and to the waters and she sees the kit as she quickly moves to Caraway and clings to their fur as instructed. "No! No! No! Let that creature drown!" She rounds on Cicada then, thin frame fluffed as she narrows her pale green eyes on him. "Coward! Rat! You don't know anything about me or my life! Who are you to stop anything!? This has nothing to do with any of you!"

Never had she wanted anything so hideous. Never had she wanted a kit like that. Any other would have been fine but not this one.

The child shivers and grips on tightly to the other, squeezing her eyes shut as she tries to hang on. She doesn't want to be too heavy for the other. She doesn't understand why and she tries not to think about it as she coughs a little from water that got into her mouth.
[/b]​

dbgnffo-6196d456-719b-4070-9b38-f1fe58083e84.png

The yowling of worried, angry cats causes a ragged head to lift from his place where he napped in a puddle of reeds and river water, elderly bones creaking in resistance as a scraggly looking tom stands up as fast as he could. Corvid, squinting bulging eyes, pulls himself onto land to take a good look at what was happening. A kit, clinging to Caraway- and a molly, screeching about how the kit wasn't hers.

A scoff, as the elderly tom makes his way over to stand beside Cicada.

"You've got some nerve, snake-eyed woman." Corvid croaks towards the mother, the surrogate to the rescued child. Allowing Cicada to deal with the femme, Corvid turns towards the water- squinting at the small kit clinging to Caraway. "That's it, kiddo. Hang onto 'em and we'll get 'ya out. Swim, Caraway! Swim!" He encouraged the rescuer, standing at the edge of the river in case they needed any help.

( ) feeling tiny thornlike claws pierce into their fur, caraway shifts their weight, pushing off from the stone and adjusting so the child has a better grip. vaguely they can hear the shrieks of the mother on shore, joined by several other felines, assumedly from riverclan, although one rusty voice twangs with familiarity. pushing through the water with somewhat more difficulty now that the waterlogged child is on board, the black smoke crosses the river, legs churning until they feel rocks crumble beneath their paws and mud sink into their claws. heart beating in their throat, breath heaving from their lungs, they pull themself onto shore, immediately crouching to roll the child off. worried verdant eyes scan the kid for any sign of injury, and they lean forward to lick the mottled pelt up, helping the water to flow off. the child appears conscious, although confused, so caraway glances finally around at those gathered.

two riverclan cats argue with the hissing and spitting mother. a growl rumbles in their throat, a warning of future violence should the woman not turn tail and flee. "you're going to talk about cowards with the way you just let this kid drown?" the words are spat with contempt. "i don't care if you don't think of yourself as her mother. she's a kid. only a monster would do what you've just done. you're doing a fine job of that." then, they turn away, vaguely recognizing corvid from trips up to the farmlands of the moors. offering him a tired smile they ask, "you with riverclan now?" only half caring about the answer. if the man feels it's where he's best suited, who are they to tell him different. gazing back down at the kid, they'll blink in what they hope is a comforting way. "my name is caraway. are you alright now? anything hurt?" tufted ears twitch with anxiety as they try to block out the hateful words spewed from the child's mother.

It's too late for her not to have heard the things her mother screams. She's heard it all before and maybe even worse the young child instantly blames herself She's down something to make the thin molly angry with her. It's her fault and she lowers her head a bit with a small frown on her muzzle. Her teeth glint against the light of the day and Beatrice snarls as she looks at Caraway. "She's not going to answer you. She knows better than to talk to mongrels who don't know their place." She's made sure that the kit doesn't talk to strangers, doesn't talk to anyone unless she tells her too and this is no exception. The woman lashes her tail and looks at the ungrateful waste of space, eyes narrowing and Boar won't look up, not even for a moment and the woman looks almost smug about it. Proud maybe that she has this level of control over the brute. Calling her a monster when she is the one reigning in the little beast. She snorts before looking at the others who were too nosy to mind their own business. "You all care so much, so so much about the filthy little thing. How about we trade for it then?

Maybe she can get something out of it. A win, win is seen with this situation. They can keep the things and she can be rid of it finally. "You can have it and I can get some lunch." She says it so sweetly if it is just as easy as that. Boar lifts her eyes up a little bit and she looks to Caraway not even thinking in the slightest that she is worth anything. With her many scars and brutish form she doubts anyone will trade anything for her and she starts to get up, wobbly, fur still dripping water to attempt to make her way back to her mother's side.

Reactions: willowroot
( ) fury rushes through her like the mighty river, flowing into her chest and bolstering her courage as she faces the terror of a woman. her insults simply bounce off the sleek back of the feline, but when beatrice begins her tangent on the heavyset kitten who trembles under cara's chest, leaf green eyes will darken, narrowing in hate. "you are a pathetic excuse of a woman. you don't deserve this child's loyalty. she doesn't deserve your cruelty." tufted ears pinned to her skull, caraway feels panic in her heart as she watches the still dripping form begin to hobble back towards the skinny brute. the femme thinks back to her own childhood, the feeling of not belonging, not being good enough. she had decent parents, but the abundance of siblings always made life a competition. one has to make hard choices to win.

this kid should not have to live in such a state. standing, the smoke arches up to her tallest, chin held high as she takes in the snarled words of the molly. green eyes flicker from her face down to the shape inching closer to a life of pain. "kiddo, you don't need to listen to her. she might have raised you, or at least brought you to life, but she does not get to dictate your future." paws shuffle upon the rocky shore. "riverclan could take you and provide you a life," head tipped toward cicada, she narrows her eyes in a silent question. "i can even take you in. i have friends. i've known this place most of my life. that woman is not the only one who can provide you safety. i know it's scary, trusting strangers, but i will not see you resigned to death at the paws of her." a soft sigh comes from their chest as they look back at the cruel femme, locking her gaze. "what do you want? fish? i can get some for you. let the kid go and we can make a deal. if not, well, you're outnumbered."

No one has every told her that she doesn't have to listen to her mother. That she doesn't have to endure the harsh ways of her teachings. Of stepping on eggshells to make sure she does everything correctly only to get scraps later on that barely fill her belly. She's confused and it shows on her face as she looks back to the other feline, trying to understand just what they mean. Ears pull back as the child tries to think for herself, tries to understand what it all means to not have to be afraid that claws would come for her face if she speaks out of turn or at all honestly. Riverclan. What's that? She wants to ask but she is not sure and so she keeps her maw shut. But she understands one thing, this cat here is nicer, this cat here doesn't want her to go back and she understands how she feels. It's enough for her and she turns her back on the frail black feline who glares in anger at the audacity of her decision. But it matters naught for Beatrice, the streets are harsh and she wants to survive, she's stolen food from kittens and mothers alike. She doesn't need another useless mouth to feed and in this she can get food and get rid of it. The skinny molly shifts her paws and narrows her eyes. Outnumbered, she's right. But she's not here for a fight, it's the last thing she needs.

Getting rid of unnecessary luggage had been the cause for her trip and so this will do for her. A free meal for something useless is a good trade and she snorts. "Fish, yes. Get me some and you can have that. I'm not opposed to being a bit merciful." They can take the burden for themselves and see just how pointless it is to keep her. "That boar is as good as your's for the fish." And so she waits for what she deems as already her's as she looks to the child who presses up against Caraway. Her eyes widen slightly and she looks up at Caraway with a glimmer of hope in her acidic colored eyes. It'll happen today then, she'll be away from her mother and with someone who understands.

dbgnffo-6196d456-719b-4070-9b38-f1fe58083e84.png

Corvid watches as the child waddles back to Caraway, and he smiled- a victory, however small it is. Bulging eyes turn to the disturbed molly, and Corvid steps in front of Caraway and the kit; flashing yellowing teeth at the woman.

"If all you want is food, catch your own. We have a colony to provide for." The elderly tom croaked out with a disgusted look on his face. Then almost as if he has an idea, he turns to the water where fish swim in flickers of colored scales. He hobbles over to the water, tail flicking side to side impatiently. And then, a paw lurched into the waves- yanking a smaller fish onto the shoreline. It flopped helplessly, and Corvid kicks it towards the disgraceful molly.

"Take it and stay the hell out of these lands. If I ever see you again, I'll eat you for dinner. Got it, sweetheart?" The tom snaps, tempted to claw her ears off right then and there. But the ache in his joints reminds him that he's not as tough as he used to be in his younger days. It would take his new clanmates standing up with him to drive the threat home.

( ) curling a protective paw around the child, the lithe feline is about to snatch a fish from the water when corvidtongue takes charge. green eyes flash with gratitude as the tomcat tosses the meal towards beatrice. “leave us now. you got what you wanted. if i ever see you again, you won’t have much time to speak.” it’s a low growl that rumbles from her throat as she watches the woman for a moment before bending back down to the child. “she’s not going to hurt you ever again, okay?” eyes softening, caraway blinks in what she hopes is a comforting manor. smoothing her tongue over the kid’s head, she asks again- “does anything hurt?”

caraway has never really been in charge of anything before. now, it looks as though she’s adopted an entire child. this was not the plan for today, but then again, she thinks, nothing ever goes according to plan by the river. warmth blooms in her chest as she gazed at the mottled kit, feeling suddenly more hopeful about the newcomers to the river. if they’re willing to defend kids, perhaps they’re not all bad. she’ll have to talk to buck.
/ mobile sorry!