wait for me on a new horizon ⛧ bluefrost

Vulturepaw

black rabbit of inlé
Jun 16, 2024

˖⁺‧₊ ☽◯☾ ₊‧⁺˖  He catches her as the sun's heat is just tinging on unbearable, in the height of midday - alone. There's something steely in her gaze. A cold sort of confidence, of certainty. Does it not weigh on her as it does him, keeping secrets like this? Is she just better at hiding it? "Bluefrost," he calls in a whisper, skittering over before he can think better of it. "Bluefrost, hey." His head swivels, tail lashing. No one else is approaching, yet still his heart hammers within his chest.

"I, uh - sorry to b-bother you, but - " But if he doesn't ask, he'll never stop wondering - "I c-c- can't stop thinking about - " Everything, about DuskClan - Gravelpaw, Privetpaw, Thriftfeather - "You... You knew - know... Um. Him. Our... Friend. The guy I'm not s'posed t-to tuh-tell anyone about. Before I knew him, you did." Their words are babbling, uncoordinated. The question comes out forceful, just as clumsy as the rest of his stumbling words. "...Why?" There's too many questions packed into one word, too many tangling threads that they can't make sense of.

• @BLUEFROST
  • 78719023_Dn5AkWBYFbxxqzb.png

"SPEECH"
  • VULTUREKIT he / they, kit of windclan, five moons.
    a spiky-furred dark tabby with amber eyes.
    skittish and dour, with little time for typical kit games.
    micheal x npc, adopted by periwinklebreeze. sibling to dustkit and bilberrykit.
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by SATURNIDsaturnids on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

Last edited:
She does not fret about the secret burning between her and Vulturekit, between her and Thriftfeather; perhaps both toms can read that in her cool expression. To worry is to stagnate, she thinks; to worry is to bring what should lie buried to the forefront. She has operated much the same since her return from DuskClan's scrubland; the sun scorches her thick pelt as she goes to pick something from the fresh-kill pile before plunging back beneath the earth. Round, flame-colored eyes hang on her fur, and a hesitant tabby kitten approaches, his words hushed.

She swivels, green gaze piercing Vulturekit where he stands. "You... you knew - know him. Our friend." Bluefrost's tattered ear flicks; she raises her eyebrows, surprised at the inquiry, at the depth of Vulturekit's knowledge. She glances about, satisfied no one is near enough to question them, and settles in place. "Thriftfeather was a WindClanner, once. We were kits in the nursery together, and then we were apprentices together. He was... he is my friend," she murmurs. "But when my mother was overthrown by Sunstar, Thriftfeather left with her loyalists."

Bluefrost pauses, then murmurs, "He is our friend, but he is not a friend to our Clan. That is why we must keep him a secret." Her mouth twitches, hoping the explanation satisfies the curious kit.

• ooc:
  • 69334192_7vVwuq2U19bWMTh.png
  • Bluekit . Bluepaw . Bluefrost, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 16 moons old, ages realistically on the 14th.
    — mentored by Sootstar ; mentoring Brackenpaw ; previously mentored n/a.
    — windclan warrior. sootstar x weaselclaw, gen 2.
    — penned by Marquette.

lh blue smoke she-cat with white and emerald eyes. aloof, dignified, poised, haughty, composed, distant.

˖⁺‧₊ ☽◯☾ ₊‧⁺˖  Bluefrost isn't like Thriftfeather, which makes it all that much stranger that the two would be acquainted. Despite being a WindClanner through and through, there is something about her that makes him feel like he's back in DuskClan. There is something about that pjercing green gaze that reminds him of Privetpaw, of Gravelpelt - both pinning him where he stood. There is something about the upwards tilt to her chin that makes him feel small and foolish, as if she knows some secret that he'll never be let in on.

Maybe it's Sootstar's blood. He cannot imagine how terrifying it would have been, to look at Bluefrost's mother.

He breathes in. "He... he t-tuh-told me..." About being a WindClanner. He can't quite imagine leaving this for that barren desert - willingly. Sure, he ran... But he came back. Why shouldn't Thriftfeather? "He knew my d-d-d... He knew - um, P-Periwinklebreeze too. They were friends..." Once, and now hid dad has tasted an old friend's blood in his mouth. "Why would he... Why'd he leave? He's not like - um. Them." DuskClan. "He's good."

Her words make his mouth twist. He'll keep the secret, but he doesn't like it. "B-buh. But - I want him t-to be a friend t-tuh-to the clan! They should understand..."

"SPEECH"

Vulturekit regards her hesitantly. Bluefrost does not allow her icy exterior to melt in his presence, no matter the vicinity of their unlikely companionship. She must not give him the impression this secret is any less grave than it is. "He told me he knew my dad," the tabby stutters; confusion gilds his gaze. "Why'd he leave? He's not like them." Bluefrost blinks, her own feelings building like bricks in her throat. He's good. Her thought, too, or at least an uncomplicated strand of it...

"He was loyal to my mother," she answers. Something pulses in her chest, familiar feelings — darkness, regret — but she shoves them aside, meets Vulturekit's gaze. "DuskClan is made of all the cats who followed Sootstar to the end. He..." Her voice thins, dries up, plumes of dust in a gale. To what end is her defense of Thriftfeather? To what end is Vulturekit's desire to have him near? Her own?

"Thriftfeather... cannot return here. He has a duty to the little kits in DuskClan, now. Like you were." She clamps onto this reasoning, biting into it like a bit of unripe fruit that snaps between her teeth.

• ooc:
    — penned by Marquette.

lh blue smoke she-cat with white and emerald eyes. aloof, dignified, poised, haughty, composed, distant.

˖⁺‧₊ ☽◯☾ ₊‧⁺˖  Bluefrost is unmoving, unwavering. Frustration bubbles up in his chest. It's all too complicated, too twisted and gnarled like the briar branches he snagged that feather from. Thriftfeather is good, but he followed Sootstar, who wasn't Except Privetpaw said that Sootstar was great and they were stupid for believing the nursery tales about her. It's all so jumbled up in his head - none of it makes sense,

"I just -" he bites out the words, half a whine and half a snap. His mouth twists, milk teeth clicking together. "I d-d-don't get it." It's not fair, he wants to yell. It feels childish, but honest. He feels like a terrible liar grown too fast for his body. "Is he gonna... buh-buh-bring them here too...?" He settles on instead, voice small. "And then - and then he c-can stay?"

"SPEECH"

This is a kit untouched by the devastation of civil war, despite his adopted parentage. Bluefrost's tattered ear flicks, and her eyes narrow, become shrewd. And the truth must wear its fangs exposed. "Thriftfeather cannot return here at all," Bluefrost says, a touch of impatience hardening her voice. Vulturekit does not understand. It is her duty, then, to make him understand.

"Sootstar..." She grits her teeth, bile rising in her throat. "Sootstar killed cats. She stole kits." The gray expanse of her tail flickers like silver flame, to and fro. "Thriftfeather helped her. Supported her. Sunstar and the rest of the Clan will never welcome him here again."

She stares at Vulturekit, her green eyes swimming with thoughts submerged like fishes. I should be with them. But I cannot tell him that.

• ooc:
    — penned by Marquette.

˖⁺‧₊ ☽◯☾ ₊‧⁺˖  Vulturekit's teeth grind. He's heard plenty of stories about Sootstar, whispered like secrets by bolder kits than he. A name spoken as a warning by queens whose patience grew too thin, a shadow that lurked in the dark. Bluefrost's mother. It's strange to think of her as such, as a real cat that existed. There is coldness in her daughter's eyes, her steely voice. Was Sootstar's anger the same, or did it burn?

Why
, why would Thriftfeather follow a cat like that? Why would anyone? The golden tom wasn't a nursery-tale boogeyman, and neither was Gravelpaw - nor Privetpaw, turning his nose up and talking about the evils of Sunstar like they were so readily apparent. He's getting tired of being treated like a mousebrain for seeing the bits where everyone's stories fall apart. "But that -" He struggles to keep him voice down, raises his foot in an aborted stomp. "That d-dhh... it doesn't make sense!" Instead of drawing attention, tiny claws rake across the ground in frustration. This conversation is getting him nowhere.

A black-barbed tail lashes in time with Bluefrost's. "Why d-do you get to be friends with him if he's so buh-buh-bad?" Vulturekit hisses softly. Their own eyes narrow, searching the warrior's frigid face. She still hasn't answered his first question, really. "He said he wasn't gonna hurt me - or anyone - and he helped me c-c-come home! Is that not enough?" If he saved all the kits from the DuskClan, would it be enough then?

"SPEECH"

Last edited:
Bluefrost's patience with Vulturekit vanishes as he lashes out at her. "That doesn't make sense!" The impudent little tabby sputters. The gray warrior's eyes narrow into gleaming emerald slits. "He is not bad. I never said he was bad," she mews, exasperated to the roots of her fur. "But WindClan thinks he's bad." She fixes Vulturekit with her stare, but something glazes its hard exterior with something dreamlike, distant.

Return with me, she'd begged. Come back with me. I'll tell Sunstar —

I can't, he'd said, so softly. Actually, I can't.

"I asked him to return with us," she murmurs. "I would have begged Sunstar to let him stay. But he refused, Vulturekit. He does not want to be here." Even though I could have made everything alright. Or is that more wishful thinking on her behalf?

• ooc:
    — penned by Marquette.

˖⁺‧₊ ☽◯☾ ₊‧⁺˖  "So -" Exasperation bleeds through Bluefrost's tone, tiredness leeching into the frosted tips of her words. His own spitfire frustration does not waver, words billowing out like smoke. "What, everyone's just gonna think he's evil forever -" Because he helped Sootstar, because he did bad things and Vulturekit can't fathom why. "Because he won't c-c-come back and we cuh... we can't tell them anything?" It's the secret that irks him the most. Even his dad agreed to keep the cat's name trapped in his throat, never spoken to his clanmates.

Bluefrost's voice turns soft, and there it is again - that distance between them, that feeling that whatever is happening here is far bigger than he is. Bluefrost and Thriftfeather were friends. He still doesn't understand why she is the only one who still treats him kindly.

He does not want to be here. And yet, they think of the hesitance, the way that he nearly accepted Bluefrost's offer before remembering himself... The pieces still do not quite fit. They don't know if Bluefrost herself could even answer to what keeps him. "Sure. Fine. Whatever." Something dissatisfied is worming its way into their belly, twisting dark and bitter.

Sometimes, they are beginning to realize, there are things that cannot be fixed.

Vulturekit's eyes turn downwards, a sour look upon his face. "...Sorry again for b-bothering you," he mutters, and there is none of the earnest hesitance from when he first approached the warrior. It is as distant as the look in Bluefrost's eyes, the one that he does not meet. He turns on his heels, lets a barbed tail wave goodbye to the warrior as he begins his stalk away.

"SPEECH"

She has disappointed Vulturekit, that much is obvious. His dark tabby fur bristles, and his voice drips with irritation. Bluefrost watches him with a guarded expression. I cannot give you an answer that will make you happy. One does not exist. For all the turmoil that exists between herself and her mother's fragmented Clan of rogues, for all the distance she's placed between herself and her Clanmates, Bluefrost cannot give herself a good answer either.

One does not exist, she internally repeats. "You did not bother me," she lies to Vulturekit's fleeing form, but it's too late. The tomkit is stalking away, amber eyes glowing with something unsettling. Her paws itch to retrieve him, to cuff some sense into him, some respect, but it is not her place. She is not Clan leader, and she is not Vulturekit's parent. Periwinklebreeze will have his paws full with that one, she thinks dismally.

After the kit stomps away, Bluefrost returns to her duties, her mind whirling with all that had passed between herself and the tabby kitten.

• ooc:
    — penned by Marquette.