WALK A MILE JUST TO MOVE AN INCH NOW — council

Blazestar wastes no time upon entering camp. He disappears into his den, hoping the cats who'd been at the border will alert his deputy and Daisyflight. He wants them all together, even Fireflypaw. His son is young, newly 'chosen', to use Dawnglare's words, and Blazestar expects him to have little to contribute, but it's his belief the young seal point should listen in on his father's meetings whenever possible.

"You won't be invited to every meeting," he tells the youth gently, pressing through the elderberry bush, "but you will attend many as you age, and the experience is neccessary. Listen to what your elders say today." He presses his nose to his son's forehead before seating himself in the center of the den.

Once all of them -- his deputy, his medicine cat, his lead warriors -- have gathered, Blazestar begins to speak. "Coyotepaw has returned from WindClan. He begs forgiveness, says he had no choice but to lead the raiding patrol to our camp. He says he feared what would happen to him if he did not obey." Blazestar doesn't doubt this part of Coyotepaw's story. Sootstar has mauled her Clanmates before for disobedience, for uprising, even out of a strange, manipulative desire for loyalty. He recalls seeing her new deputy, her new lead warrior, bearing that same slash across their chest as that gruesome tabby.

Blazestar sighs. "I'm at a loss. Coyotepaw is young, and his heart is good, but the mistakes he's made have cost us dearly." He tucks his tail closer to his body so that it lays feather-soft over sienna paws. "I worry WindClan will come looking for him, and will retaliate when they do." He shrugs. "And not only that -- but when they do, will he truly fight for us? I said it at the border, but..." He blinks. "Coyotepaw has turned coats twice now. Who's to say he won't do it again?"

He sits and waits for the rest of them to speak.

@orangeblossom @ThistleBack @sheepcurl @Daisyflight @DAWNGLARE @Fireflypaw

[ PENNED BY MARQUETTE ]

"WindClan will kill him if the cold doesn't, but we're under no obligation to keep him safe after what he did." Orangeblossom rumbles after a long moment of thought. It's blunt, but there's no use in softening the truth in front of Blazestar's council in circumstances like this. Had Coyotepaw come from another Clan, sought refuge from any colony but that of the moors, her opinion may be different. But for circumstances like this ... The deputy sighs.

"If he's that desperate to stay, he needs to be under permanent watch." She swipes her tongue over her maw. The cats who trust him immediately with a sob story like that are either blinded by familiarity or fools - while she would be inclined to listen if it was one of her own in Coyotepaw's pawprints, his return earns him no right to stay among the Clan he'd betrayed so readily. "If he is to stay in SkyClan after what he's done, after what he's allowed ... make him start from scratch. Strip him of his apprentice privileges, make him keep the duties. Don't let him leave camp unattended, or attend border patrols or Gatherings until he's a warrior. Change his name. And if he stays, we lie. No other Clan can know he walks with SkyClan." For our safety as much as his.

•  

• orangeblossom, deputy of skyclan
    — mentoring vulturepaw and eveningpaw.
    ✦ 26 moons, she/her
    ✦ fluffy white and ginger cat with brown eyes. torn left ear, scar on right foreleg. injured!
    ✦ bi, single. @ on discord for plots.
    "speech"thoughts

Last edited:
She trails after them, a growing pit in her stomach as she settles alongside her fellow council members. Her first call to a meeting and its to judge the fate of a young cat- this feels evil. A necessary evil, she has to tell herself over and over, but if she were to condemn a young cat to probable death today and cast them out... She shudders.

Blaze speaks. Metaphorical brows scrunch, shes sure the others will not be happy to hear that he begs forgiveness after causing so much pain and suffering for Skyclan. But he's a child. Would she forgive Greenpaw if he had done the same? No. Yes... It's a different story. She shuffles her paws as the sickened dread in her stomach tries to claw its way out. Why didn't he leave earlier? He could have left before. Why did the raid even succeed? We can't trust him.

Conejito. It was her nickname for him once upon a time, when he had been young. But he's not little anymore, he has turned to the very thing his mother had wanted to protect him from. Would defending him make her happy, where she resides in the Stars? Or is she just as disappointed as Sheep is, or more? Would Sootstar really hurt him, such a good asset to her clan, someone that held Skyclan secrets in his mind?

Orange speaks and yeah, its what she feared: Windclan would kill him if they cast him out. Eyes screw shut. This feels like a nightmare. This child had been the cause of so many sleepless nights as she lay pressed in to Red's side, the fear of potential death laying in the shadows. "What he did cannot be forgiven so easily and will not be forgiven by many of the cats residing in these walls." her voice shakes with the effort to contain her anxiety and bubbling rage. "Forced to lead them or not, we are lucky that we didn't have any casualties. We lost valuable herbs. If my apprentice hadn't gotten Riverclan, who knows how much worse it could have been?" eyes slide to Dawnglare because surely he is seething in his own peculiar way.

"If he stays, Orangeblossom is right." does she truly want to condemn future kits to this? A game of constant back and forth, with one particular soot-furred leader thinking she can get away with anything and everything? "And he must be aware of the consequences. You do not lead cats to our camp, to our livelihood without it." the anger slips through in a snarl. There were kits in the nursery, Stars, Morningbird nearly bled out. "He has to earn the privilege of being called a Skyclanner. Because right now, he is nothing but a Windclanner." shes not sure if she can ever find it in her to fully feel sympathy for him. Skyclan was prepared to fight for him on that border patrol to retrieve him. It was a mistake, yes, but a mistake that cost thousands. Righteous anger, shes learned to put her clan at the very top of her priority list since being promoted.

Eyes shift to Thistleback, wondering his thoughts. Would she be as soft on him if he were her child? Not by birth, but by bond? She feels like throwing up, to be quite honest. All the questioning her mind is doing is giving her a headache. For the good of Skyclan, she has to remind herself. For the good of Skyclan. All for them. "If we keep him, we also must be prepared for battle." its quiet, but its another reason she cannot agree with this. "We could lose more. We could lose everything."
"speech"​

A slip into the den is all it takes. Unfurling, unraveling, the iced annoyance that he'd met the maggot with. Quickly, quickly, it devolves into a clicking. Impatient stare, wide-eyed as it flits to and fro. With every spoken word, a stare toward its speaker; a twitch of his face. The decision was obvious. Hardly a dilemma, or a council to be had. Fireflypaw is observed from the corner of his eye. Idle something, he hopes they know the ridiculousness of it all.

If they all speak of if, afraid to say what's what; too afraid to protest and say that oh, it isn't so hard. The if should hardly be pondered. Dawnglare's fur prickles along his spine. The if hinges on oh, so much. A clan's worth of effort spent to protect what's his, and they would lead the thief in with thanks! With the blessing of being rid of his blood-soaked name! His scraping only grows louder. Something swift– shared glance between him and the fawn. Frantic, frenzied, his face lights will all the words he could not yet say. Waiting, waiting, and then a sliver of light. 'He is nothing but a Windclanner' A hunched neck shoots upward "Yes!" Sudden interjection, before its swallowed down with a gasp of air. Spit between his lips. His stare goes blank with the remainder of her word.

And then, again, his voice has lowered to strained mumbling. "H-hear her?" Gap in the air. For a moment, only the sound of his clicking follows. A tongue swipes across his lips. "If goes no further, n-no more. No, I don't want a WindClanner within my walls!" he snaps. Fuming, leery. The ice in his eyes blazes a fire. Why entertain the thought? "What of when he's injured? When he's sick, deathly ill. W-what then? I–" broken with a laugh, because it made no sense. "Th-the– the very herbs he was sent to steal, d-do I croon like a widowed mother and say here you are, darling?"

He licks the spit from his lips. Ears swivel around the den. Daring, searching. Ready for the domino-clawed tom to spit foolish vitriol. "He's only he-here now because he doesn't wear the fiend's wicked mark. Oh, he can slip by. But I assure you, it's waiting for him. Once he returns home with jaws full of my things and a smile bright on his face. Right there, he'll be named. Right there, he'll be cherished. That's all he wants, isn't And... y-yet." Shaking breath. His tail sets a steady thumping against the floor. Spiked, wild. "He could have stayed. And oh, you all would have fought, w-wouldn't you? Y-you would have fought for a Skyclanner."

"This time, this time... You'd be fighting f-for a flea-bitten Windclanner. F-for someone who owes us everything, and who we owe nothing." At last, his shoulders slump. The whole of him goes limp, having spit what he wanted to. But the irritation. Of course, Of course it stays. His face only dares. His claws only invite. Dawnglare lifts his head to the sky. As close to it as he could. He stares, stares at the stone ceiling.

There was many things Thistleback was, and there was important things that he wasn’t. Was he a devoted mate, and protective father? yes. A brilliant teacher and master of the school of hard knocks? also yes.

Then, there were things that he wasn’t. Compassionate, happened to be one of his most speculated quality or lack thereof. You wouldn’t catch him groveling, nor would you get anything from him beyond the fact of the matter or dicey humor. Where it came to sympathy, Thistleback showed it in his own ways. Mainly, tough love.

He enters the leader’s elderberry den next, settles with his chin fixed high and his steely eyes shadowed by his normal frown. There was no desperate seeking for mercy for his son, no trace of worry in his hackles. No. He pays his sights upon the pine forest king with a respectful silence, he states the facts of the case with vital points sewn perfectly.

Windclan will kill him if the cold doesn’t’ He nods heavily toward Orangeblossom’s first few words. He agrees with Sheepcurl’s words because of course, had Greenpaw not called upon the River cats. He’d have died at the claws of that brown tabby warrior.

Dawnglare's frantic denial, a pure testimony of his thoughts for once. Coherent and something Thistleback can subtly agree with if only the part where he worries. Justified, sure but some things make the piebald's nerves churn.

" As you may or may not know. While mentoring Coyotepaw, and following the death of his mother. My mate and I, had adopted him into our family. It’s important to me however, that you all know. That I say these words as a man who has taught his children very clearly that their actions will have consequences. "

" I can only clear a path, I can’t make them walk it. " Thistleback draws his tongue over his teeth as he considers his next words. " I’m not going to ask your forgiveness for him. While that’s not my job to begin with, it’s certainly not something he will expect from you. He isn’t a stranger to not feeling accepted. I wouldn’t have it any other way. What better a lesson than learning to be a good man amid doubts? Rightfully so. "

Pausing only to clear his throat.

" My throat was cut in that battle, at the same time- my children were in the nursery terrified while enemies stormed their home. Believe me, despite being a guardian of that boy. My tolerance is tested " he looks to each of the council members but snaps his gaze back to Blazestar.

" As it stands. I agree with Orangeblossom, he should be stripped of his privileges. Perhaps renamed, and definitely watched over. For the sake of the alliance with Riverclan. " his tail tip flicks. " I ask that you don’t give up on this boy. He’s a good soul, just- easily manipulated. " he states his vote, but his nose twitches at the bridge as he considers his next approach.

Sheepcurl’s final words make him glower with a whipped shake of his skull, " We should expect anything from Windclan, regardless of the decision made tonight of the boy. If not Coyotepaw to use for an excuse, perhaps a shortage of bloody moss, if they want another fucking war they’ll see to it. They seem to look for any excuse to march to our borders. " he spits out, sour be the name of the moorland rats upon his tongue.

" we will never. Lose everything. If they want war, we are warriors. let them come, I'm sure there is plenty more space for burials in those hills. Who are we to deny them the thrill of digging? " he shrugs but it’s a bitter toss of his hackles. Dark words leaving a barbed man's tongue.

" If Coyotepaw ever truly turns coat. I will kill him myself. Let that burden and duty rest with me. I'll vow to it." he finishes, before falling into a stiff silence. Expectant grey eyes shifting to the next speaker.

• MqZ0nzd.png
    ✧ T H I S T L E B A C K
    thirty-three moons
    — Lead warrior of Skyclan
    taken by
    Deersong 9.29.22
    — mentoring quillpaw
    — very muscular piebald black and white tom with spiky fur and cold silver-grey eyes.
    voice & accent
    biography・゚✧
    OPEN for Dice battles | 🎲 stine#3004
  • bVBPWus.png

ddx44sx-28222a01-c987-4916-8421-7853ecd2dad3.png
Fireflypaw is guided into the elderberry den with a hushed voice and gentle tail, nose pressing to his forehead as his father reminds him that this is going to be normal for him now. Now that he had his clanmate's health to take care of alongside Dawnglare, he had to learn about the workings of the Clan as well. "'Kaaaay.~" He affirms with a nudge against his father's cheek, sing-song despite the nervousness in his gait. As soon as Blazestar begins to talk, Firefly parts from his side to seat himself against Dawnglare's side. Like roots to a tree, Firefly found himself agreeing with a lot of the opinions already spoken. Coyotepaw might still be a child, but still should take accountability for his actions. That was his opinion, at least as far as he could concern himself. Dawnglare rattles out his denial of the child, demands he be kicked out immediately. Snowpaw's words ring out in his mind, a reminder of his opinion on the matter.

-stupid mistake?

He zones back into reality then, Thistleback talking about how he'd kill Coyote if he turned out to be a threat in the end. Fireflypaw blinks. He smooths a paw over Dawnglare's shoulder, idly listening to Sheepcurl speaking of the consequences of Coyote's decisions. War, this one speaks of. He hoped not. Firefly wishes he could leave the den right now, but stays in favor of the education he needs. Politics come with the job, he supposes.

"SUREFIRE, YEAH, THE SETTING SUN WANTS COMPANY"
The returning patrol’s tension was palpable, clotting camp’s atmosphere with suspicion. Daisyflight sought Blazestar immediately, met with the silken-slip of his tail retreating into his den. Ah. The molly hurried after the others, tattered ears aloft.

Coyotepaw had returned. Quilt fur bristled, disbelief and distaste fletching spines along her back. The tom had left them, only to deepen the gorge by bringing rat-pelt brutes into their home. Duress could not absolve the entrenchment that caused.

Orangeblossom’s voice wound back Daisyflight’s unspooling thoughts, her suggestions measured. It was the charitable option, the furthest their forgiveness should extend. To welcome him back with open arms would be stupid. Harm to their clan was harm to their families, their children. She would let no risk come to hers. She hummed in agreement, her pink nose bobbing with a curt nod.

Sheepcurl reinforced much of the same. One phrase coated her pelt with ice, ominous. ‘We could lose more. We could lose everything.’ Claws laced into the earth beneath the calico. "We won’t- we can’t. Whatever the outcome, we mustn’t allow a single cat to disrupt our safety, not from within our midst. The clan’s attention should be trained on those outside our borders.”

A languid twittering, rubato, markedly put a halt to lucid conversation. Daisyflight slid her gaze to Dawnglare, evergreen eyes creased with exasperation. Talk of herbs and smiles and marks burbled into, what was this? A point? Ear askew, she looped herself back into the conversation. "I do, really, hate to agree with him but... He was given sanctuary, a gift his mother risked much for, and he did not value it. Even if he is not malicious, he is foolish.” And that’s a risk, her wrinkled snout punctuated, unspoken. A loud, unavoidable risk when his tail is so tied to Windclan.

At Thisteback’s low tone, she fell silent. He had some sway over the boy, some claim. The extent was murky to the molly. Idly, she wondered how Blaze’s son was faring, a sepia shadow tucked behind their medicine cat. Eventually, the chalk-face tom came to a stop. Harboured opinions burned at her throat, set alight in the fresh quiet.

“You may be right about Windclan’s eagerness, but that is all the more reason to not to give them an excuse to run down their hills, teeth bared. I am not one to take their venom lying down but to tempt it is- it is not our warriors I worry for!” Her tail lashed, aquiver in parallel with slender whiskers. Thistleback was one she saw eye to eye to most days, but in this she disagreed.

”You name yourself his guardian, teach him lessons like one of your kits and yet you’d strike him down? A vow tied with heartstrings is not one we can rely on” Cavernous confliction marred her expression, words fuelled with equal bafflement and conviction. She could never kill one of her own, but perhaps it was not the same. Perhaps- it was bluster, born from a wilful hope of allowing Coyotepaw back within their ranks. His declaration troubled her, deeply.

Daisyflight’s snowy chest fell low with a weary huff. ”I do not relish in turning away the young. However, we might not be able to afford the patience needed to weather uncertain improvement. If we take this on, I agree, we must be watchful- of him and the rest of the windclanners. And yes, punishment, though it might turn him… bitter.” A gloved paw fanned the fur of her cheek before smoothing it over, preening composure back through her figure.

Blazestar sits patiently, turning his gaze onto each council member as they speak their piece. Orangeblossom is first, her voice clipped, her words direct. "If he is to stay in SkyClan after what he's done, after what he's allowed ... make him start from scratch." The Ragdoll's expression tightens, pensive. His deputy's idea is for Coyotepaw to remain in camp during Gatherings, avoid border patrols, and never be allowed to leave camp unguarded. He licks his lips thoughtfully. "And if he were to be allowed back, how long until he has proved his loyalty? Is there even a way for him to do that for you all?"

Sheepcurl speaks next, surprising Blazestar with her caution. He studies her as she speaks, clearly thinking about what he had at the border -- their sick, their young, their fragile, all fighting for their lives against WindClan thieves. All because of an indecisive apprentice. "If we keep him, we also must be prepared for battle." Blazestar gives her a nod, resigned. "Even if we don't, he's brought that possibility to our borders again. To our camp, now that those dogs know where it is." He sighs.

Dawnglare is animated, spittle flying from his lips as he chokes on his rage. His own den, his sanctuary, had been raided, his herbs ransacked and rifled through, and his indignation is still strong. "I don't want a WindClanner within my walls!" Blazestar does not disagree with him; he can't. "You'd be fighting f-for a flea-bitten WindClanner. F-for someone who owes us everything, and who we owe nothing." "You think he's been sent by WindClan to spy on us? To steal from us again?" The idea hadn't occurred to Blazestar before, but his face creases with worry.

"While mentoring Coyotepaw, and following the death of his mother, my mate and I adopted him into our family." Blazestar looks at the black and white warrior. Briefly, sympathy glows in dark sapphire eyes. He knows Thistleback cares dearly for Coyotepaw, that Thistleback had been his mentor before the spotted apprentice had chosen to defect. "I'm not going to ask your forgiveness for him." Blazestar waits, his tail tip beginning to flick as Thistleback goes on. Thistleback ultimately puts his vote in with Orangeblossom's, with Sheepcurl's -- that if he were allowed back into their Clan, he would do so under heavy restrictions, supervision, punishments. "I fear WindClan now has our scent regardless of Coyotepaw's intentions. And are we ready for war again so soon? We are still nursing our wounds, still rebuilding our camp. And they could come at any time now, thanks to him lighting their path." He shakes his head.

He catches Fireflypaw's eyes, and he gives his son a smile that wavers like a mirage in an oasis. He hopes Fireflypaw is listening to everything that is said, weighing pros and cons as well as a six moon old apprentice can.

At last, Daisyflight, having held her tongue for the others, begins to speak. Her ire is clear, her normally groomed-slick pelt ruffled with displeasure. Her words are biting, curt. She tells them they won't, they can't, that Coyotepaw had been given sanctuary and had forsaken it once. Blazestar nods as she speaks. "It is not our warriors I worry for!" Their kits, of course. Blazestar's eyes involuntarily swing toward his son, worry bubbling in his heart. How easily he could have lost him, sick in the medicine cat's den. How easily Howlpaw could have sustained injuries besides a scar to the nose bridge -- how easily he could have lost another daughter, a son.

Thistleback's vow is that he will kill Coyotepaw himself if he turns his coat again. Blazestar sees the admonition in Daisyflight's green gaze, and he thinks to himself, about Burnpaw and Moonpaw calling his SkyClan kits traitors, about the weight of such a vow.

After several heartbeats, Blazestar exhales. "My instinct tells me to let our warriors escort him to the border and ensure he leaves. Let him play Emberstar for sympathy, Pitchstar, since he's such a staunch ally." Anger flares in his eyes. "No matter what is decided, Coyotepaw has cost SkyClan in blood. If he's allowed to stay here, he will not be welcome by many of his former Clanmates. He will be expected to one day fight against his father in battle, no doubt, if Sootstar has her way." He lashes his tail. "And what's worse... he has given Sootstar every opportunity to do worse than she has already."

He looks directly into Orangeblossom's eyes, dark blue meeting rich brown. His voice is soft, a challenge, a test. "If you were in my paws, what would you do?" Someday, he thinks, she will be in his paws, and he has to know he's chosen correctly -- that she will not shy away from the burdens of leading.

While he waits for her response, he glances around at the cats gathered in his den. "Either way, I do think we must prepare for retaliation. Sootstar does not suffer indignities easily. I want more frequent border patrols. I want mentors to speed up, focus on battle training. You four will see to that." He nods to his deputy and his lead warriors.

Blazestar then turns to Dawnglare and Fireflypaw. "No doubt WindClan left your herbs in a bad way. If you need warriors or apprentices to help you restock, you are permitted to take anyone we can spare." His mouth is set into a grim line. "We'll need to prepare for the worst."

Coyotepaw or not Coyotepaw, SkyClan will not be sitting ducks for WindClan, he thinks to himself. "If Coyotepaw is permitted to stay, I do agree he should be under strict scrutiny. He will not be attending Gatherings, he will not be on border patrols, and he will not leave camp without an escort. Whatever we decide, it will not be easy for him." He closes his eyes in thought, in prayer. "But that's not something any of us can consider right now. My Clan's safety is the most important thing."

[ PENNED BY MARQUETTE ]

"If he dies for us, he'll walk in the stars as one of us. But short of dying for SkyClan, I don't know." She admits in response to Blazestar's gentle chime of questioning, ears twitching backwards for just a moment.

One by one in her wake, the rest of Blazestar's council says their piece. Orangeblossom nods along with Sheepcurl, surprised by the venom in her voice but agreeing with her words. Things would have been much worse if Greenpaw hadn't crossed the river, and once again she feels a flicker of pride towards the red-and-white tabby. Dawnglare rambles his usual half-formed nonsense, and as soon as his rabid blue eyes are turned elsewhere Orangeblossom rolls her own. However he does, regrettably, have a point - SkyClan owes Coyotepaw nothing, and he is at their mercy in their camp and in their lives. Fireflypaw, beside him, is quiet, but watches with keen blue eyes. Learning, listening. Good.

Thistleback, however, earns a thoughtful squint. "Would you really kill a cat you see as your own kin, Thistleback?" She questions, seconding Daisyflight's sentiment. He's able to be ruthless, yes, but the lead warrior is also a bleeding heart for his family. Any cat in the forest could see how he looked with all his love and pride towards his mate and kits whenever they might be in his field of view. It's not often that she agrees with the calico queen, but her musing on whether or not punishment would make the young tom bitter does catch her attention. Blazestar speaks, this time to her, and Orangeblossom's ears twitch with surprise at the question.

"If you were in my paws, what would you do?"

It's clear that Blazestar doesn't expect her to respond immediately, gives her time to gather her thoughts as he addresses the rest of the den. More frequent border patrols and battle trainings ... that was easy enough. Every cat in SkyClan would be sore and exhausted at the end of the day, but if it would make them a little more prepared then she would be willing to do it. But if they were all exhausted at the end of the day ... no, that wouldn't do. The obvious answer would be to spread their patrol members out more, or ...

"Understood. I also think working on night-time combat is a good idea. WindClan attacked at dusk last time - who's to say they won't wait until midnight if - when - they try again?" At the very least, she reasons with herself, turning the thought over in her mind, it would do them good to have a well-rounded group of night guards in rotation. "Sootstar replaced her deputy and medicine cat between this Gathering and last, I think we should be aware of the fact they may make more demands."

Finally, after a long moment of silence and thought, Orangeblossom manages to answer her leader's question. She swipes her tongue over her jaw again thoughtfully, and curls her tail around her paws. A sigh works into the tension-taut air.

"Coyotepaw is a liability. He doesn't deserve to stay, doesn't deserve our time or our efforts," she nods to their healers before addressing Blazestar again, "but unfortunately I do think it's safest for us if he stays. He knows where our camp is, could go running back to WindClan with an optimal way in if we let him out unsupervised - or worse, if he goes to ShadowClan, he gives Pitchstar a way in. Chilledgaze gave announcements for him at the last Gathering, we don't know what's going on in ShadowClan and I don't want to find out the hard way." Brown eyes flick back to the vitriolic founder they call a prophet- "Refuse him treatment if you want, Dawnglare, I won't pretend to know how a medicine cat's morals are meant to work and until he proves himself I don't really care.

"I stand by my suggestion, Blazestar. He stays, changes his name, and starts from scratch. No border patrols, no Gatherings, no interactions with other Clans. He earns his place, he pays with an extra moon of apprentice duties for each rule he breaks. I'll even watch him myself."
She nods decisively. Better to offer herself than to let Thistleback do it - his bias would cause them all trouble if Coyotepaw messed up again.​

•  

• orangeblossom, deputy of skyclan
    — mentoring vulturepaw and eveningpaw.
    ✦ 26 moons, she/her
    ✦ fluffy white and ginger cat with brown eyes. torn left ear, scar on right foreleg. injured!
    ✦ bi, single. @ on discord for plots.
    "speech"thoughts

He feels himself repulsed by the thought of walking on eggshells around Windclan. His muzzle is schooled with his natural contempt. Clearing his throat on occasion, if but from the soreness it still held below the collar in idle tickle. Thistleback is silent through the disagreeing words of Daisyflight, they were both looking at the same horizon but separate angles. Thistleback rotates his jaw now, a sudden natural tense twinge traversing his frame.

" I named myself guardian, I trained and loved him as if he were my kit. If he blatantly betrays Skyclan, yes. I will strike a traitor down. " he repeats, clarifies, doesn’t budge. ’ would you really kill a cat you see as your own kin, Thistleback? ‘, same question driven by disbelief this time from Orangeblossom. A question that hardly warranted an answer, god forbid. " I pray I never have to prove such capabilities. " because, the question seemed tuned to rhetorical. Did they think him a man who said things for no reason? hollow had never been thy words or promise. " as for my family, they know my standards concerning loyalty. Once they leave the nursery, they will be Skyclan or nothing at all. " he speaks firmly, not feeling just how cold his words were. This was where Deersong came in, where she softened the edges.

you think he’s been sent by Windclan to spy on us?, " A halfwit plan, but I wouldn’t put it past them " he offers. are we ready for war so soon?, Thistleback’s fictional brow cocks, It’s not like we’d have a choice, but the black and white tom keeps his silence.

" Bitter is better than dead with the title of traitor. Any child of mine should know better than to let their emotions seal their fates. Even so, he’s beloved to his true family. He can take it or leave it. " he murmurs, the idea of Coyotepaw growing bitter wasn’t acceptable to him.

Thistleback nods affirmatively to his orders, speeding up training and focus on battle technique wasn’t necessarily much different than what he constructed of Quillpaw and Snowpaw’s training regimen. Following Orangeblossom’s suggestions, " I can take midnight shifts, alternating my apprentices. " he opts for the less desirable shift, knows he can keep to such a schedule.

• MqZ0nzd.png
    ✧ T H I S T L E B A C K
    thirty-three moons
    — Lead warrior of Skyclan
    taken by
    Deersong 9.29.22
    — mentoring quillpaw
    — very muscular piebald black and white tom with spiky fur and cold silver-grey eyes.
    voice & accent
    biography・゚✧
    OPEN for Dice battles | 🎲 stine#3004
  • bVBPWus.png

ddx44sx-28222a01-c987-4916-8421-7853ecd2dad3.png
Mother reaps what she deserves most, and what she deserves is life. She demands her payment for protecting them from the snow, Firefly knows such well. The blood of a WindClanner soaked into their snowy grounds mere weeks ago, and yet She is never satisfied. Fireflypaw doesn't see his father's smile, but he can feel the short stares towards him here and there. His pelt ruffles uncomfortably, listening to the conversation continue.

Traitor, he flinches at the word. He's thankful for the soft brush of Her against his paws, mossy and smelling faintly of berries. Her breath cools him down, the panic ebbing away and leaving only numbness behind. "Keep him away from our den." Fireflypaw quips up with a nervous swallow. "U-Until we know he's safe, until we know he's not- fooling us, y'know?" He has no right to demand this of everyone, but with a quick, blind stare towards the direction of his mentor's face, he knows. Dawnglare wouldn't treat Coyotepaw after what he's done. "Everyone makes mistakes, but to risk an entire Clan that took you in... I would die for my Clan before anyone ever tried to get me to do that." But alas, I cannot. Mother seeks my companionship much longer. She has no plans to return me to her embrace. Dawnglare says so, so it must be true.

Blazestar listens to Orangeblossom with an intent expression. He nods at her suggestion of night patrols. "I think that's a good idea. Organize those this week." There's a sense of relief when she continues to speak, offering Blazestar her suggestion for how to handle Coyotepaw.

He doesn't disagree. Coyotepaw shouldn't stay, and if all were right between the five Clans in the forest, Blazestar would not hesitate to send him back out into the cold.

"I won't change his name," he decides, narrowing his eyes in thought. "Because Leopardcloud gave him his name, and until he betrayed us, he did earn the apprentice title." He frowns. "But you're right about the rest. He will earn his place. He will have to prove his loyalty harder than any other apprentice, and I want to know if he does anything suspicious."

He turns his gaze to Thistleback, considering the piebald lead's words. He expects the young tom to be more than bitter. Sullen. Tempted to run back to the cats he claims drove him away. But he doesn't say that -- let him figure it out for himself, for Blazestar suspects that he will.

Fireflypaw speaks, and the Ragdoll looks at his son with a raised brow. "Fine. Dawnglare, you and Fireflypaw will heal him if needed outside of the den. He will be told not to go inside or go near it until further notice." He knows Dawnglare won't be happy to be told to treat the boy, and he half-expects him to ignore his leader's orders. He hopes Fireflypaw might soften him a bit... regardless of his feelings about Coyotepaw's treachery, he doesn't want to see the boy sick or hurt.

"Alright. It's decided then." He stretches, muscles rippling beneath his long fur. "I'll make the announcement. Orangeblossom, you will assign Coyotepaw's guards as you would patrols. Ensure whoever is assigned to him knows their duties, and the consequences of not reporting indiscretions to me."

With that, he brushes past his council members, feeling more confident in his decision after their lengthy discussion.

[ PENNED BY MARQUETTE ]

Even them, fickle souls; weak-willed faces, can listen when the world demands it of them. He expects nothing less than insanity from this one. Piebald, skull-encrusted face. But his words end up a pleasant surprise. Stern. Not doting like another mother may be, but stern. Still– with spitting jaws, Dawnglare acknowledges this– his hopes are too high. He speaks for the traitor's return. He agrees with reformation into something entirely new. More a blessing, than a curse, if you asked him.

But with that final declaration, Dawnglare turns his head. It's a wonder that it doesn't snap, with the fierceness in which he faces him. Owlish, his eyes are wide blue lakes. A jaw set in a frown whips up into a crooked smile. A disbelieving flutter of laughter flies from his chest, just for a moment. How were they to believe him, someone so caught up within the whims of witches. Easy to control, now WindClan suddenly knew. No, it was not true. But amusing, it certainly was. Dead-eyes, oh, stiff with seriousness. Quite the sight. Moment of silence, and then his words bubble up again. Tilt of his head, falling, so. "Oh, we will certainly hold you to that." Frenzied, his eyes flicker to the other faces in the den, though they were far from the we he was referring to.

Quiet, the little one. He knew his own place better than the sorry faces within these walls. With a touch, his eyes meet theirs; blue to blue; for a moment. Daisyflight repeats the same again. Oh, if, they still insist. Had she nothing to offer? (Rhetorical. Rhetorical, of course.) Ticking, ticking. A velvety tail twitches back and forth with ever word from her and Blaise alike. His friend. He speaks, and yet he says nothing. Dawnglare's eyes bore into his. You think he's been sent by WindClan to spy on us? To steal from us again? "More than likely..." low muttering. They were all thieves, were they not? (Each bleeding face, each broken bone, a set up.)

And strangely, he asks the opinion of one who hardly held any word. He still speaks in ifs, as if he was not the deciding factor. She was not all wrong though, no...

Eventually, Dawnglare offers her his eyes. They can never manage to stay quite still. Jittering, jitters. I won't pretend to know how a medicine cat's morals are meant to work and until he proves himself I don't really care. This, is enough to subdue him.

The domino-clawed thing remains consistent with his lies. Curiously, Dawnglare looks toward him. Sky lights no longer burn with a thousand worlds' fury. Now it is merely... assessing. The curious gaze of an onlooker. Now, he is content to sit, and to watch... Nothing of his would be spared on WindClan, and if these few could keep to their own devices. Fine, fine by him... Let them hope that Her winter may easily overcome the little traitor. Dawnglare's gaze slips towards his apprentice. Speaking, perhaps out of line, but his words spell nothing out of turn. Though, as far as he is concerned, there is no until, only forever. But it's said later, and perhaps, only out of self-imposed pressure. He could forgive this, for now. "Well said," Endorsed with a curl of ruddy plume. "If ever I see a hair out of place, I will have no choice but to condemn his meager face."

In the end, the name-change is dropped. A plus, he'd consider. Not for sentimental value, but rather, so he may carry his sins with his name always and forever. Approving, he lifts his chin, but near immediately, his face dips back into blazing glare. Unknowable beat, his tail's swaying falls into but a crawl. Eventually. Eventually, he spits, "Fffff–ine." It's a promise he is not even sure he would adhear to himself, but in the moment, it is all he may say. Without another word, he turns tail, waving for Fireflypaw to follow.