private WAS BATTLE BORN ⁀➷ houndthistle

⁀➷ // takes place directly following this thread and before they leave for the final battle!

It would do him no favors, he knew, sitting out here in the cold. The minutes ticked by ever closer to the sealing of Windclan's fate, but Foxglare sought out a moment of silence.

The freezing air bit at his ears and nose, but he found a sense of catharsis in the dull sting of it to distract from the stabbing pain that throbbed in his chest. He mulled over the ache, held on tight to stare at the grief and rage and guilt all tangled together and made a vow then and there. He would not forget this feeling, he would not cast it aside when it came to roost upon his sternum, and he would squarely shoulder his guilt as it made a permanent home upon him. He promised the stars, or the clan that made them a home, or to the night sky itself in all its distant judgement, that he would not forget.

The sound of snow crunching beneath heavy paws made his ears twitch back, suddenly very aware of the lingering evidence of grief in his bloodshot eyes. How long had it been since he'd spoken to Hound? And why was he so inclined to opt for silence when he couldn't find the right words to say to him, or anyone? Fox was glad he fought alongside them, he was glad he was not forced to face his father like so many others faced their kin. He was glad he was here.

He should tell him this.

"One more fight, an' it's done," he says instead. If this really was their last fight, then it would be the bloodiest one yet. Sootstar would not go down gently, and neither would they, it seemed an inevitability that more bodies would be littering the moors before any semblance of peace could be had.

"Are you prepared to die out there?" he would turn to face the huge grey cat for the first time. Surely the old man knew he wasn't invincible, how much thought had he put into the very real possibility that he'd have to be the one to give his life for Windclan's freedom?

• OOC: @HOUNDTHISTLE
  • sun . fox . foxpaw . foxglare
    — he/him. 14mo moor-runner of windclan
    — a large, scarred white and golden tabby tom with grey eyes
    — smells like wet oak and dewy sedge
    — sounds like leon kennedy, with a vague texan drawl.
    — the straight-faced and taciturn adopted son of houndthistle, lived as a twolegplace loner until 7 moons old, now a moor-runner of windclan. resilient, but not invincible. the continued stresses of war and a significant loss have led him to hold fast to his strict internal moral compass for fear of faltering.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — hs by ava, fullbody by antiigone
    — penned by eezy

"BECAUSE COWBOY DAN'S A MAJOR PLAYER IN THE COWBOY SCENE"

[
C_Angelkisses2.gif
For being a battle that he had worked up so much in his head, Houndthistle found himself... reluctant for once. Fighting here, at the barn, was different. He could block out the faces of his former clanmates, he could ignore the memories, he could focus on the blood lust and the rage and the instinct to protect like an entire pride of lions surged behind his claws, but the knowledge the fight was going to camp... it was different. That camp he'd defended, guarded, slaughtered and fought for, ruled by the iron claws of the Moor Tyrant herself while the wool was still firmly over his eyes. That camp was where he'd sparred with many clanmates, where he had established his friendships, where he had decided that he would, hopefully, live long enough to retire to the elder's den, watching generations and generations of cats he'd known grow and grow, carrying on the clan. But, death was always in the waiting, watching, hoping to take his name off his list.

His long ears perked at Foxglare's words, echoing his own thoughts as he came to stand before him. His son. He'd spent... so long believing he was dead, that he was gone and never able to come back, that it'd been an absolute miracle his son had not only survived but was fighting with him. Houndthistle had made... many mistakes in his life, but the one thing he never regretted was saving that squirming little white and yellow kit at the request of a dying mother. He felt the urge to tell him how proud he was, how absolutely blown away he was at the tom Foxglare had grown into, and how he knew no matter what happened, Foxglare would always continue to make him proud. But those words, the very thought of them, made his chest tight and a muscle twitch in his jaw. That talk was for a cat who planned to die. That was death-bed talk, and, unfortunately, it seemed Foxglare also expected him to not make it.

A wry smile cracked along Houndthistle's maw, the rumbling laugh deep in his chest beginning to bubble before he couldn't stop himself and sat down, shaking his head while trying to suppress his laughter. "Ya act like I'm gon' break the moment someone sinks their claws inta' me," He deflected humorously, chuckling at the end, "Yer ol' man's old an' dumb, but I ain' made a-ice." He inhaled, though, sighing, as he looked forward in thought. Was he willing to die for Windclan's freedom?

"I ain' never had much to fight fer save fer myself an' you 'fore joinin' Windclan," He stated thoughtfully, using one of his hindpaws to scratch at his thick mane, "E'ery day of my life was spent fightin'. I was only a moon older then ya when I... I kill't my father. I was 18 moons when m' brothers died an' I was clawing my own way out t' grave. I don' wan' you or any of the other youngin's t' have a life like I led. Y'all have the opportunity for community... Windclan-'fore Sootstar lost her mind-showed me the importance of bonds... of brotherhood an' trust again. I'd kill a hundred cats an' I'd die over an' over t' ensure this clan is safe, t' have freedom. I ain' a good cat, I make my mistakes, I've kill't when I prolly shouldn' of, I have crossclan kits... I'm hard-headed an' I'm vindictive, but... those are my sins, y'know? And if Starclan takes me out fer em, so be it. I'll take m'punishment with my chin lifted, knowin' I made sure my clan-my family-at the end of the day was safe."

"speech"

• text
  • Physical Health
    100%
    ⤷ left eye is blinded
    Mental Health
    98%

• Single | Bicurious | Not actively looking | Interested in Wolfsong, Scorchstreak, Sootspritespark

Houndthistle is both an easy one to gain the trust of and impossible to gain the trust of. He'll rarely reveal personal information or be vulnerable-if he's even capable of such things-but he will show trust in his willingness to lay his life down. To gain it, he needs evidence that you're loyal and strong, same as him, otherwise he understands he may one day have to come head to head with you.

— will start fights / will not flee / may show mercy
    excels at Fighting, Tracking, Following Orders, Intimidation
    poor at climbing, swimming, stealth, talking, strategy, politics
    — sounds like: deep, gravelled and thick with a sort of country accent / Arthur Morgan
    — smells of iron, leather, and wood
    — speech is #435E75