private WATCH OUT BOY, SHE'LL CHEW YOU UP // dusk

dey3ui7-b960f9d3-2e74-46e9-938b-2a199a9500e0.png

Sootstar had beckoned the deputy into her chambers.
The leader desired to keep a firm grip on him... she didn't need him getting too confident in himself. Sootstar needed to make him think she was amongst the closest allies he had, that she knew best, that all whispers spoken in this clan somehow, someway, always got to her. Wouldn't want him to one day attempt and rebel against her now, would she?

When the Bengal tom is in her sights, a small smile forms from her lips. "Sit, please. You fancy sparrow?" she pushes the untouched bird in his direction, "I'm not hungry, and since my injury cats have been so... fussy with me. Go ahead, eat." Her deputy deserved it anyways, right?

"Yet as you may have guessed, I did not beckon you here to eat my fresh-kill. I wanted to talk about you. Your new role, how do you feel in it?"

// @Duskfire HERE WE GO OH NO...

Untitled253-20220815165307.png

I WANT SOMETHING JUST LIKE THIS

He had never been called into Sootstars personal chambers before. Typically the shecat slept out under the stars, but Dusk knew there was a den behind tallrock that she used sometimes. He was anxious as he followed the blue feline into the space, doing his best to ignore the uneasy feeling that overcame him upon entering such a confined space. He hadn't been enclosed by walls since leaving the twoleg nest and he was a little bitter to find that hadn't changed even after all this time out on the moors. If anything, being out in the open so often only made the difference that much more sharper to him. Still, he didn't let the claws of anxiety get the better of him as he settled his haunches tot he ground, green eyes landing on Soot with quiet curiosity.

It was strange. He'd been here for weeks now, probably moons, and despite his position and the fact that he spent the majority of his time around the other cats in the clan, he still felt like he didn't really know anything about them, and that included his Leader. And so he really hadn't the faintest idea of why she had called him in here today. Had he not been doing his job properly? He'd been organizing the patrols like she asked, and working hard with Rosepaw. Then again, he had no real way of knowing if he was doing any of it right to begin with. Maybe the shecat had a totally different vision for what he should be doing.

To his surprise, he wasn't scolded or sized up when she turned to face him. Her tone, for maybe the first time since he'd met her, was civil- conversational, even. She offered him her sparrow, and while he wasn't really hungry he felt obligated to accept the offer, if only because she so seldom extended such kindnesses to him.

But, of course, they weren't here for prey.

The question she posed was one he had to take a moment to think on. A self-assessment was hardly what he'd thought this was, and put on the spot he wasn't really sure what kind of answer to give her- the one she wanted to hear, or the truth.

"I feel.. good?" he replied, mentally kicking himself when it came out sounding more like a question than anything else. Quickly he continued, trying to cover up his awkwardness and finding himself relieved when his voice sounded more assured of itself. "I mean, the work is easy enough- I don't mind handling the patrols and helping with newcomers at the border. It's.. It's nice to feel like I have something to do." Nice to feel like im worth something, he wanted to say, but didn't. "I still feel separated from the other cats though. I'm not great at talking to them." he added, shrugging as if it wasn't that big of a deal despite the fact that it was something that had been nagging at him for a while now.

windclan warrior - male - 17 months - homosexual - polyamorous - single - tall, strong bengal tomcat

"Good, good." Sootstar knew the word "good" could've never possibly described her first taste of power. She had felt invincible, untouchable, hell she still felt the power coarse through her veins. But if Duskfire didn't feel that way? Good, the blue she-cat did not want him to be as ambitious as she was.

"Ohh... really? I would've never guessed." Sootstar meows, curling her tail around her paws. It was the semi-truth, Duskfire seemed like the type of guy who'd get along and chat with ease. She could use this to her advantage, and just like that she begins to spin her web. "You may feel that way because cats are envious of you... I've heard whispers."

She pretends to look around the tom's shoulder as if she was ensuring no one was listening. The she narrows her head, whispering, "No cat in power is safe from hate... I could see it in their eyes the moment I announced you as deputy. Cats are jealous of you, wishing they were in your paws... Not all are malicious... but some? Some would knock you off your paws at a shot at your position in the clan if you gave them the chance." Perhaps it wasn't all lies, perhaps there was truth to it. The smokey pelt she-cat knew that was the truth for some cats with her.

"Most think being in positions like ours means cats give us endless amounts of gratitude and love, but that couldn't be further from the truth. In reality, you and I? We need to have each other's backs... inform each other of any... whispers we might here." The leader pauses and licks a paw. "I don't mean to scare you of course- I just- want to make sure my deputy is protected. Be cautious and slow to trust, Duskfire. You never know what a cats motives may be now that you possess power many only dream of holding."

Dusk had never had the protection of another cat before. While growing up things had always been a matter of 'first come, first serve', and so everybody was constantly fighting over or guarding their resources. It was a small blessing that the twoleg who'd kept them all had separated them according to age, but with the meagre scraps splint between them, it hadn't taken long for even the children to turn on each other. Those who wouldn't fight for their share didn't get a share, and a cats only real priority was themselves.

And maybe that why Sootstars words cut so deep. He could remember the look of betrayal Hyacinth had given him at the meeting, the sneer from Pebblenose, the barely repressed glare of Weaselclaw. Had there been others as well? He couldn't remember. Everything had happened so fast, and then Inky had shown up and distracted him. Doubt gnawed away at him the more the shecat spoke, but alongside that doubt was an appreciation, and even a little guilt. This whole time he'd thought that Soot was just in it for herself, but here she was trying to look after him, telling him to be mindful and filling him in on what was happening when his back was turned.

"What should I do?" he asked, never a fan of showing weakness in front of Soot, but wanting guidance more than ever. He'd come to this clan and blindly stumbled his way into a position he'd never expected to have. "I only have one life, and I don't intend to give it up to any cat anytime soon- but I also don't want to give up my position. Should I train more- show them I'm not to be messed with?"

He wasn't an aggressive cat by nature, and yet aggression was his fall-back, the only thing he really knew. But he trusted Soot. If she had answers, he would listen.

windclan warrior - male - 17 months - homosexual - polyamorous - single - tall, strong bengal tomcat

• Sad
Reactions: SOOTSTAR

What should he do?
"...I don't know. It's an unavoidable part of being in such a position, no matter what you do the threat is always there." Meows the leader who rose onto her paws. "But showing cats you are not to be messed with is a good step. You need them to both respect and fear you at the same time... that is the key to securing your position, and keeping yourself safe." Something Sootstar genuinely believed, not all of this conversation was pure manipulation.

"Train more in areas you feel you slack in. If your clan-mates see you're a good hunter, a good fighter, they are likely to respect you more. You don't have to be perfect, but you need to be good enough." Sootstar flicks a tail in contemplation, "Perhaps we could help each other in improving our skills, impress our clan with our skill and power. What would you say are your greatest strengths?"

Fear and respect. He knew how to accomplish one, but what about the latter? What even was respect? He would have to figure it out on his own, not wanting to seem entirely incompetent in front of Sootstar. Instead he chose to focus on her other words, nodding because at least he understood training.

"I'm a decent hunter - I can snatch a bird mid flight out of the air and can chase a squirrel clean up a tree- but I'm probably better at fighting. It's harder to show off here though because I don't want to hurt anyone too seriously, but I could start trying to showcase it more I guess."

He knew he had a habit of holding back during spars, having gone so long just giving it his all that it was now hard to draw a line between what was acceptable and what was too far. Still, Soot wasn't wrong. If cats knew how capable he was they'd be more likely to accept him as Deputy. "What would you say my weakest aspects are?" he asked, figuring it would probably be smart to take those into consideration as well. And besides, he was curious to know what Soots genuine thoughts were on the matter. What areas would their leader say he needed to focus on to better stabilize his position?

"There's talk from a lot of cats that yours is a lack of compassion. Maybe that's something else we can work on together too- our weak points, I mean."

He knew Sootstar was a strong leader, of both body and mind, but if she was going out of her way to help him by letting him know what the other cats thought, then he could probably return the favor, right? He was sure it wasn't news to her, but since they were on the topic he'd might as well bring it up
.​

windclan warrior - male - 18 months - homosexual - polyamorous - single - tall, strong bengal tomcat