camp we couldn't live off the yields || inklings

loampelt

die young or get old trying
Oct 4, 2022

The two elders that Loam is tasked with de-ticking lay in a half circle, eyes closed against a sunbeam. She’s never been around anyone so old, she thinks. Their skin seems loosened, ready to shake from their bones like autumnal leaves from a branch. The elder that Loam grooms currently is a murky-pelted and ragged looking thing. He speaks as Loam works, and she listens to the low rumble of his voice more than his actual words.

I had a brother like you,

Loam looks up. It hadn’t been the elder she had been grooming who spoke, but rather the one she had already groomed. Lichenjaw, she thinks his name is.

He’d interrupted Tinystride’s story. Loam’s nose wrinkles.

Had a paw like yours,” Maybe-Lichenjaw continues, and Loam looks up at him proper. He isn’t looking back at Loam, rather he is looking, with eyes squinted against the light, skyward, “Creek, that was his name, Creek.

Loam glances to Tinystride, seeking a mutual confusion, but finds that Tinystride is focused intently on Lichenjaw.

I remember Creek,” Tinystride says. He glances to Loam, “Ornery, that one. You would’a liked him.

Dead now,” Lichenjaw adds, as if Loam couldn’t have gathered, “But it wasn’t his paw that got him. Caught a cough, or a cough caught him.

Damn shame,” Tinystride says at the same time that Lichenjaw asks, “Have I ever told you about Creek?

Loam wonders if the only relevance Creek has to her is her paw. She wonders if it would be such a terrible thing to say I don’t care, can Tinystride finish his story? but settles on a simple, “No.

Lichenjaw– Loam truly isn’t certain if that is his name– takes her response as an invitation to launch into the life story of Creek. When Loam tries to finish grooming Tinystride he tells her that she has done enough, and that she can sit and enjoy the story. Loam doesn’t sigh, but it is a near thing. Creek had lived an exciting life, it seems, but Lichenjaw tells the story with the grace of a robin's first flight. When Creek finally caught that cough, or when that cough finally caught him, Loam stands abruptly.

"That was–" Loam's nose curls, at a loss for a polite thing to say. Her mother would tell her to not speak at all in this case, but Loam forges ahead anyhow, "–certainly l-luh-long."

"You go have fun now," Tinystride dismisses her with a wave of his paw, his eyes crinkled with amusement, "Enjoy being young while you can!"

Loam bows, not wanting to be completely rude, and begins to pad away.

"What do you think of that one?"

Loam's ear twitches, but she doesn't turn. That had been Lichenjaw. Do they know she's still in earshot? Loam slows, and then sits in a way that she hopes is unsuspicious.

"She's a bright young girl and she's got'a'lot of pluck. Guar-an-teed to be trouble, but aren’t they all at that age? She’ll grow to be a fine warrior indeed,” Tinystride replies and Lichenjaw makes a noise of agreement, but Loam has stopped listening.

Nothing they had said was wrong, and yet something curls in Loam’s gut. It feels a bit like disappointment. Loam has never noticed before. She wants her mother with a sudden fierceness that nearly shakes Loam from where she sits. A compliment is a strange thing to be disappointed by. It calls to mind a future for Loam, a fine warrior, grown from a girl.

Feeling brave, seeking something, Loam looks over her shoulder. The elders aren’t looking her way, and their conversation has moved on to the clanmates they had lost before ShadowClan was even an idea. Loam doesn’t particularly care.

Oh, Loam realizes with a start what was so bothersome about that vision of the future. This, her time in ShadowClan, isn't going to be forever. This is all temporary. She isn't going to be a warrior, despite what those elders think. Her mother will find her and thank ShadowClan for tending to Loam for all these moons, and then the two of them are going to go somewhere else. That's what bothered Loam.

Still, the feeling doesn't abate, not fully. It feels, still, like disappointment.

tags ∘ shadowclan apprentice ∘ solid black with hazel eyes ∘ curled front foot ∘ 5 moons​

"Oh my DOG, is Lichenjaw STILL talking? Only way that old badger will shut up is when he's dead I bet or he's gonna haunt us or something! I wouldn't be surprised!" White paws stomped forward toward Loam where she perched outside the den contemplative and morose and ugh-why did everyone in this clan sulk around like someone punched their mom or something? Maybe that was the case-maybe she was just the only cat with an unpunched mom because her mom would punch back pretty hard, she knew this cause she bit her tail once as a joke and very quickly came to regret it.
"Hey-hey, did you get put on tick duty? COOL, that means I don't have to do it today cause mama said if I didn't wake up in time for patrol she'd make Pitchstar assign it to me but I slept in anyways and he didn't so she either forgot or you were already doing it! Either way, thanks for taking one FOR THE TEAM!" And by team, she meant herself. The longhaired apprentice swung idly from side to side standing there, as if expectantly waiting for Loam to say something back or respond to her in any way but when the dark apprentice either took too long or Poppypaw lost her very limited patience, she launched into another tirade.
"Hey why's your foot all wonky? I never noticed before but it sure do be looking like its hard to walk on! That's CRAZY, you must be good at walking if I never noticed cause I'm real observant you know-Mama says I pay too much attention to things cause I'm nosy but we all got noses so I don't know what she was getting at! Hey, does it hurt to walk on it? Can you do like-uh-one of those things? OH, OH! A handstand! Like this! Watch me!"
What proceeded was an embarrassingly long time of the white and red she-cat attempting to push herself up in the air with just her two forepaws but being unable to maintain her balance long enough to get off the ground entirely.

Poppypaw talks a lot. Loam blinks from her thoughts, head tilted, and stuck on the line between amused and bewildered. There is an irony in starting with a complaint of how the elder-- whose named is Lichenjaw!-- had talked so much, and then launching directly into talking so much, which somehow had lead into an attempt to stand squarely on her two forepaws. Morose mood successfully broken, Loam laughs and tries answer to everything Poppypaw had said.

"He doesn't even know h-huh-how t-tuh-to t-teh-tell a story proper," She whines, "I-eee-uh d-duh-don't think 'was supposed t-tuh-t-to be happy when C-cr-rrr-eek finally croaked."

Loam's eyes roll but her mouth pulls into a smile, "If you w-wuh-want'a make a d-duh-deal-- I-eee-uh'll do t-teh-ti... bug duty eh-if you do m-mmmmm-moss duty."

And then that left her paw. Loam holds it out for Poppypaw to better see, "My ma t-tuh-told meh-me t-tuh-to stop bending it oh-odd ways 'cause eh-eh-it would get st-stuh-stuck like that b-buh-but 'didn't listen, and no-now its stuck li-like that." The truth was the boring simplicity that Loam had been born with her paw just as is now, "I-eee-uh can't w-wuh-walk or stand oh-on it or nothing."

It had always been strangely stiff and comfortably numb, feeling more like a thing that happened to be attached to her than another part of her body. With the way it was twisted, were she to try and stand on it, she would be putting her weight almost entirely onto the side of her rightest-most toe. To demonstrate to Poppypaw, Loam knocks her paw against the ground twice.

"See? M-my pads don't even t-tuh-touch the ground oh-on this one. I-ee-uh w-wuh-walk with it uh-up here instead," She pulls it up into it's usual resting position, leaving her paw hanging over the ground. It makes her shoulder tired sometimes, but trying to walk on it would probably make her shoulder hurt.

But that feeling from earlier-- whatever it had been, is not forgotten completely. Loam looks over her shoulder and finds the elders still aren't paying her any mind, and then turns her attention back to Poppypaw, voice far more serious than before, "Do yuh-you ever feel..." Loam struggles for a moment, grasping for words to describe something she doesn't fully understand herself, "...Luh-like maybe, you don't w-wuh-want tuh-to grow up?"

tags ∘ shadowclan apprentice ∘ solid black with hazel eyes ∘ curled front foot ∘ 5 moons​

Poppypaw talks a lot. She thinks about telling her, but knows it's useless because Poppypaw hears that all the time and she never stops. It's annoying. Sometimes... sometimes it's funny. But it's mostly annoying. And he almost tells her to shush, so that loam could think in peace, because she was clearly doing a whole lot of it. But Loampaw doesn't seem to mind that much. Loam is funny. But if that's what she wanted...

Sharppaw doesn't even know how she kept track of everything Poppypaw said; to her, it was little more than white noise, but she can pick apart Loampaw's replies, at least. She can listen to those, sort of. Apparently, she'd been interrogated about her paw. He wouldn't think that the nicest thing to do, but it seems she doesn't mind. Loam was funny. That story didn't make sense, did it? But she guesses Loampaw would know more about weird paws than she would... Sharppaw watches as she knocks her paw against the ground in some sort of demonstration. He didn't know what was something she could do... But it wasn't quite right, still, so she supposed she really couldn't. It was funny. Loam was funny.

And, so-suddenly serious, she asks Poppypaw a question. And he thinks it's too big a question for someone like Poppypaw answer. "Is that what you were... thinking about?" she asks. He hadn't meant to. Sheepish, she flattens her ears in embarrassment, but now she has to talk to them, doesn't she? Maybe she had more to say. She get's it. Not fully, but... something-something... The apprentice shuffles his paws. Sortaaa..." Not helpful, but he doesn't really know.

...And Loampaw wasn't even asking him, anyways. But Poppypaw would just say something stupid. "U-um, sometimes being a warrior j-just seems scary." A glance over her shoulder. He hopes no one else would overhear. "But... but maybe it'd be better... 'Cause you could choose when to do the things you want... sorta," kind of. There were still patrols and things... But Flickerfire and Smogmaw and Pitchstar were adults, and they were very... weird. "Sorry... It's probably, um, different."

( ¡! ❞ ) Granitepaw detests caring for the elder almost as much as he hated helping Bonejaw with any of her menial plant tasks. He's happy to ignore Loampaw, but Poppypaw's incessant yelling makes her impossible to walk by without giving her a withering look. All of the apprentices in this Clan, save two, are tadpole-brains, he thinks. Crying about how they don't want to grow up.

Granitepaw can't imagine anything worse than being stuck as a kit forever. Helpless. Pushed aside. Easily ignored, even a mother not pulling her head out of her grieving ass to notice you need her...

The gray tomcat bites back these thoughts, but anger glitters in lush green eyes. He mutters, "Being a warrior isn't anything special. Half the warriors in this Clan are idiots. It just means people stop treating you like you're useless." He pulls a frown and glances away from the others without saying anything else.

( TOOK YOU HOME, PUT YOU ON THE GLASS ; I PULLED OFF YOUR WINGS, AND I LAUGHED )