private we only wait in the absolute | orangestar

The moon has drooped past its zenith. SkyClan slumbers fitfully, the warriors' nests only just now beginning to simmer down as the news is digested fully. Citrine eyes glimmer sharply in the soothing dark, obligations pressing down her sleepiness. Once it's quiet enough (it never is fully), the calico gets up. Guilt tugs at her blossomed neck, but for the sake of the night guards she strides towards the leader's den with her head still high.

But when Cherryblossom nudges her head into the elderberry, it's with the air of a guilty dog slinking back to its master. "Orangestar?" she whispers, her voice as fragile as old spidersilk. "...ma?" she tries again, even quieter. Her mother's marble figure cuts through the dim of her den; she can't quite read what's in her umber eyes, or maybe she's just avoiding them. "Are you okay?" It's clearly blurted out. Enough of the moonlight has pierced the canopy to reveal even more cobwebs strung across her pelt, patches of poultice glimmering in between each cluster. Instead of wincing, she just stiffens.

"I can tell you what happened now. While you were gone." Cherryblossom hovers in the doorway, trying to disguise awkwardness as plain tiredness. "If you still wanna hear it. I mean, I dunno what Fireflyglow said. I can, like, just tell you in the morning too." She's never been so unsure of whether she wants to be invited in or shooed away. She's never been shooed away before; usually she just leaves before anyone can.

ooc: hello stalkers >:3c this takes place an hour or two after IF YOU WAIT FOR IT / return