private we won’t ever change + border w/ bravepaw

turtlepaw

it's hard to make the good things last ✦
Jan 29, 2024

come along with me

A cloud hangs over RiverClan these days. WindClan sleeps in their territory, Smokestar is gone, and Turtlepaw can't do anything about it. Snakeblink says she's doing enough by training and growing as a warrior, but it doesn't feel like it's enough. She's never wanted to be alone before. The apprentice typically craves attention and conversation, but, for a reason she can't place, she wants to be by herself.

She has newfound freedom in her growing body. Turtlepaw is six moons old and it shows in her growing muscles and power. With this growth comes more responsibilities, and the apprentice can be sent on her own to hunt now. The apprentice prowls through her territory, enjoying the sound of frog song and water rushing. It sounds like home.

Sunning rocks loomed over the river. The massive rocks always seemed to mock her clanmates, but she couldn't really care less about them. As long as she had the river, she was fine. They had plenty of other rocks in the territory. If Smokest-… Lichenstar wanted them then it'd be a different story, but for now she was fine without them.

Turtlepaw looked up from her fishing to see a pelt moving through the rocks, likely also stalking prey. The brown pelt looked slightly familiar to her. She cocked her head trying to place it. She tossed around the few ThunderClanner names she knew in her head, but grew bored when she couldn't place it. The apprentice huffed and shouted across the border, "Do I know you?"

@bravepaw : ̗̀➛

• speech color
  • TURTLEPAW she/her/hers, apprentice of riverclan, 6 moons (ages every 1st)
    stocky silver charcoal tabby. tail is a stub. energetic, naive, dim
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / roughhousing and wrestling encouraged / underline and tag when attacking ↛ see battle info here
    penned by muddly@/muddly on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

Last edited:
. ° ✦ It had been a while since he had seen RiverClan's border again! Last time it was all snowy, and Sunningrocks was too cold for his paws to sit on very long before his pads went numb. Carawaypaw- he still remembered her name. The first RiverClan apprentice to ever introduce herself to him!

Now he visits Sunningrock's, and it looks so much different than before. The sunlight is not a pale milky glow but a warm candescent bloom that made the stones glitter beneath it. The grass no longer flattened by ice and snow but instead hugged by tufts of green grasses and overlooked by dotted reeds from the shore. Freckleflame was hesitant to come around here, he knew Wolfwind's death had hurt her in a special way, having watched her get bitten by that adder. So in that moment it was only Bravepaw, who promised not to poke around near any snake burrows and instead practiced stalking by pouncing on the sunbeams.

A voice disrupted a pounce that would have certainly killed a mouse, and he looked up to see someone on the other side of the river. Another apprentice, just like himself!

He crept around the stones to get a closer look at Turtlepaw, tilting his head he searched for the familiarity across charcoal fur. He felt a similar feeling stir when he had seen Thundergleam, but quietly tucked that away. "Huh... were you at this moons Gathering? I just went there! It was my first one." He boasted proudly, because something about the way Freckleflame told that WindClanner about him made him feel special.
 ° .  . ° 
  • ooc:
  • BRAVEPAW — HE/HIM ・ 7 MOONS ・ THUNDERCLAN & APPRENTICE ・ PENNED BY beatae!
    A Longhaired chocolate tabby with a white locket and deep blue eyes. Very thick coat that has started to grow into long, wispy curls. Developing into an awkward stage of kitten uglies as the rest of his body grows and changes. Severe scars from owl talons stretch across his shoulders and another that starts from his back down his left thigh.

come along with me

As the other apprentice approached, Turtlepaw scanned him over. He seemed roughly her age, and growing strong just like her! Her eyes lingered on the scars on his pelt, and a hot flash of embarrassment rushed over her. She didn't have any scars! Well, she had her stubby tail but that was an accident. This apprentice must have fought a badger or something to get those slashes. How lucky!

At the mention of this moons gathering she beamed with pride. Having a lead warrior as your mentor meant that you got to do a lot of cool things with them - gatherings included."I was there!" She puffed her chest out in pride. "It was my second." She was one of the youngest apprentices in her clan, a remnant of when apprentices were allowed to start training at 3 moons. While she's grateful for her head start, she can't imagine being that small and learning to hunt. When she looks at Iciclefang's brood she can't help but think how small they are. Barely bigger than the prey they would have hunted. She shook the thought away and focused back on the apprentice across the border.

"I'm Turtlepaw! What's your name?"

• speech color
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / roughhousing and wrestling encouraged / underline and tag when attacking ↛ see battle info here

. ° ✦ A gleam of awe and wonder filled wide blue eyes as Turtlepaw confirmed the assumption. "Oh wow..." Her second Gathering? How lucky! He would have had two under his belt as well, if the law of age for apprentices hadn't been locked in at the time. Sunfreckle had gone without him at his side, he wondered if that was the one Turtlepaw had been to.

"Hi Turtlepaw! My name's Bravepaw, my dad gave it to me." He nodded his head quickly as their exchange continued kindly. He didn't anticipate Turtlepaw to be so nice, given some of the more harsher exchanges he heard from patrol reports before. He liked this, though. It felt nicer than trying to prove who's Clan was better.

"Um, what's a turtle anyway? I've never seen one before. Is it a fish?" Bravepaw knew RiverClanners often named their young after their prey. He wondered what a turtle could even look like!
 ° .  . ° 
  • ooc:
  • BRAVEPAW — HE/HIM ・ 8 MOONS ・ THUNDERCLAN & APPRENTICE ・ PENNED BY beatae!
    A Longhaired chocolate tabby with a white locket and deep blue eyes. Very thick coat that has started to grow into long, wispy curls. Developing into an awkward stage of kitten uglies as the rest of his body grows and changes. Severe scars from owl talons stretch across his shoulders and another that starts from his back down his left thigh.

come along with me

Bravepaw! What a cool name! Turtlepaw could feel another flash of embarrassment flood her at this. She had never thought of having a name beside the one she had, but now she wished she had a more warrior-like name. Toughpaw or Clawpaw. Something scary! A long forgotten pang also reared its miserable head at the thought of being named by a parent. As far as she knew, she was named by the queen who nursed her long ago.

She was born sickly and small. Probably because her mother was also sick when Turtlepaw was born. The illness had killed her. Her father died before she drew breath in some great battle, she had been told. She was proud of him (and her mother), but wished he had been more careful so she could have met him.

Turtlepaw snapped herself from those thoughts. She was ashamed to even think of them. How was she to assume that her mother's wish wasn't to name her Turtle? Again, she puffed her chest out. She should be proud to be named after such a resilient creature. "A turtle is like a little lizard who has a den it wears!" She explained. Her paw gestured the size of a turtle. "It moves reeeeaaalllyyyy slow. Like this!" She crouched low and slowly placed on foot in front of the other.

"So, no. Not a fish." Her head tilted at a thought. "How do you know what a fish is? Don't ThunderClanners only eat squirrels?" Turtlepaw's clanmates had snickered about that fact. Squirrel-eaters and mouse-brains, those ThunderClanners, they had said.

• speech color

. ° ✦ Bravepaw closed his eyes to try his best in imagining the creature Turtlepaw earned her namesake from. A little lizard, he had seen a few from Sunningrocks, basking in the sunlight as its predators did, but it wears a den? Now he thought of a lizard, crawling about, carrying small mud-packed walls of brambles and sedge on its back. It didn't look comfortable in his mind.

"No wonder it moves so slow!" Bravepaw gasped, opening his eyes to watch Turtlepaw hunched over and reenact the movements of the animal. He crouched low to do the same but struggled to stay balanced for long and promptly fell on his side. Wide paws pushed for him to stand again quickly, and patted at his chest fur in embarrassment.

"What? Everyone should know what a fish is! The little things that swim around in these shallow parts and streams." Bravepaw took a bold few steps forward to see if any were around himself. "You know what a squirrel is, do RiverClanners eat more than just fish then?"
 ° .  . ° 
  • ooc:
  • BRAVEPAW — HE/HIM ・ 9 MOONS ・ THUNDERCLAN & APPRENTICE ・ PENNED BY beatae!

Ch0ImFS.png

———————————riverclan | apprentice | she/her——————————
Turtlepaw giggled at the sight of Bravepaw trying to be a turtle. It was pretty close! The idea of not a single turtle in ThunderClan made her proud of her home. She loved watching her namesake bask on logs in Greenleaf, and plod around on the shore looking for snails.

"Of course we eat more than fish! Just the other day I had a squirrel, actually. We do have trees on our territory, you know." She watched Bravepaw's steps toward the river's edge and tilted her head in thought. Did ThunderClanners swim? She had never seen one cross their border that way, but who knows! Maybe they took secret swimming lessons.

"Can ThunderClanners swim? I can teach you if not!" Pride surged through her as she dipped into the river and swam against the weak current. Turtlepaw wanted to show Bravepaw just how cool RiverClan was and everything her clan had taught her to do.

[penned by muddly].