private WHEN FACING THE THINGS WE TURN AWAY FROM [ ✦ ] howlingstar

Howlingstar’s den. At one time, it had been Emberstar’s. His former mentor. He is no stranger to the scene that lays out before him. The lichen curtain, the big hole in the base of the rock in which a cave has been carved. Sometimes, he wonders if his mother would have a story for why such a monument existed. Perhaps a cat of the great clans had scooped it out with their own paws for their own leader. Wouldn’t that be something?

He stands just outside of the entrance for only a moment longer before he takes a deep breath and pushes past the soft barrier into the familiar space. "You wanted to see me Howlingstar?" his golden eyes shine softly in the dim light, shadows cast by his entrance dance on the walls of the den but he does not make a move to go all the way in, not without permission. She was his grandmother but she was also still ThunderClans leader. His leader.

// @HOWLINGSTAR

• ooc : — ​

• 60128620_HIwWDbxBpKFbAR4.png

➵ he / him
    ➵ thunderclan warrior
    ➵ single ; crushing on roeflame
    ➵ heterosexual
    ➵ a large black furred tom with long hair and golden eyes
    ➵ toyhouse

Howlingstar had sent for her grandson earlier in the day with the intent of getting the fiery tom to sit down with her for a moment. They could talk, listen to each other, but ultimately, she wants him to understand her trust in him. He has always been a special tom, a harder worker than many that are moons older than him. And more than that, he is loyal to the bone, having chosen ThunderClan over SkyClan all those moons ago...

Now, he stands a hulking presence in the entrance of her den, dwarfing her but she still stands to her full height, greeting him with all the love and warmth she holds for all her family. "Come in, don't be a stranger," She purrs, moving forward to push her nose into his cheek. "Sit with me." Gently, she eases herself back onto aching haunches; the chilly evening has gotten to her joints.

She recalls his cool attitude the other day, on the dawn patrol she led along the SkyClan border. She looks to him with relaxed eyes, mewing, "You don't like going over there much, do you? To the pine forest."

And just like that, in the wake of her words and her gestures the awkwardness in his limbs subside. He visibly relaxes as he comes to sit next to his grandmother like he had once done when he was a kit. He was older now though, bigger than he had once been. He stands easily over her, but that is nothing new. Growing up, he had suffered growing pains but now he was used to towering over the smaller cats of the clan. His own mother and grandmother included. "Thank you" he says in regards to her clearing a space for him. He sits, curling his fluffy tail inwards, towards him, covering his paws.

When Howlingstar sits, he notices the wince in her features and for a moment, he think about asking after it. But he wouldn't get the chance. Before he can open his mouth to ask if she is okay she is asking her own question, the reason why he was here he supposes. He lets out a heavy sigh, gaze finding the floor. His behavior whenever they went to SkyClan's border was unbecoming, he knows, but he cannot help it "It is a reminder of things I would rather forget" he admits. His father, Morningpaw, Howlfire and Fireflypaw. Sometimes he wishes he could cast all of them out of his memories forever because once he had loved them. It is what made all the things following his sisters death hurt so badly.

• 60128620_HIwWDbxBpKFbAR4.png

➵ he / him
    ➵ thunderclan lead warrior
    ➵ single ; crushing on roeflame

- - Burnstorm is a hot headed tom who, above all, loves his clan and his family. He cares deeply and passionately for those closest to him and is one of the most loyal friends a cat could have. Because of his half-kitttypet heritage, Burnstorm is always hard at work, believing that he has to put in twice the amount of effort a normal cat does in order to prove himself as a worthy clan member
    ↪ ISTJ-T 'the logistican'

- - a large, black furred tom with golden eyes
    ↪ toyhouse [ ]

➵ skilled fighter and decent hunter

Howlingstar softens, her brows knitting together with sympathy. "I know," She mews simply. Gently, she wraps her tail around her grandson, for though he towers over her now she will always want to be there to comfort him, nurture him. She stares at him with eyes filled with understanding, but she wants him to grow from this. A cat with so much potential cannot be held back by something like a border.

"The past is not meant to be lived in, Burnstorm. It is meant to be learned from. Running away from it won't solve anything." She sighs and shakes her head, ears gently falling back. "You have so much promise, love. You are not that border between two clans any longer. You have grown into your own cat, a true ThunderClan warrior, and you must credit yourself for that. Do you understand what I'm saying?" She blinks back up at him, a soft frown on her face.

• Love
Reactions: Thorny and Jay

The simple admission that she knows, that she understands, is enough to make him drop his guard. The tension leaves his shoulders, as if a weight has been taken off of them. He listens to what she says next but his sun colored eyes do not leave the floor of the den. "You're right" he says his voice soft and he does not think such an admission has ever passed through his lips before. But his grandmothers words made sense. He was holding on to the past a little too tightly. "I've just been holding on to so much grief. It is hard to forget the things that happened there and I hate to admit this out loud but it brings me pain to see my father, my brother and sister, happy without me." his claws curl into the dirt "For so long I held onto my anger because I miss them and I think I just want them to miss me too" selfish. He would always be selfish and desperate to lash out at the ones who had hurt him, to make them hurt in the same way. "But you're right, I've been holding on to that feeling for too long, its holding me back." he lifts his gaze to meet hers "I understand, and I'll try and do better in the future. I want to be someone who makes you and the rest of ThunderClan proud" and he could not do that if he was constantly living in the past, that is what this conversation made him realize.

• he / him
    thunderclan lead warrior
    single ; crushing on roeflame

60128620_HIwWDbxBpKFbAR4.png
    - - Burnstorm is a hot headed tom who, above all, loves his clan and his family. He cares deeply and passionately for those closest to him and is one of the most loyal friends a cat could have. Because of his half-kitttypet heritage, Burnstorms always hard at work, believing that he has to put in twice the amount of effort a normal cat does in order to prove himself as a worthy clan member
    ISTJ-T 'the logistican'

- - a large, black furred tom with golden eyes
    toyhouse [ ]

skilled fighter and decent hunter
    LITTLE WOLF X BLAZESTAR ; sibling to Fireflypaw, Howlfire, Morningpaw, Moonwhisper, Duskpaw and Skypaw

Howlingstar purrs and leans against him comfortingly. "They do miss you, Burnstorm. Of course they miss you. You have all chosen your paths and you must walk them now with loyalty in your hearts. But that does not change the love one has for their kin. It'll never change my love for Howlfire or Fireflypaw, and it shouldn't change yours either." Family, even if stretched over borders, is still family. Not much in the world is as important as that. Of course, the clan must always come first, and she has no doubt in her mind Burnstorm would put ThunderClan first. But that doesn't mean he must close off his heart to his own father and littermates.

"You have so much potential, love. Your future holds greatness, and I don't want your past to hold you back."
She smiles lovingly and touches her nose to his cheek. "And I've always been proud of you."