when the going gets tough, the tough gets going - mud

Since her accident, Lilybloom had done her best to avoid the river if she could. Unfortunately, being RiverClan she could only avoid it so much without verging on doing none of her duties. She had crossed the river a few times since, but every time she had, she felt as though she wanted to vomit when she got to dry land. As well as struggling with her duties, she had been notably quiet as of late and isolating herself from her near and dearest.

When Mudpelt asked her to follow him that morning, she reluctantly said yes, only agreeing to follow him because he was her father. She followed him absent-mindedly, only seeming to take note of where he was going and what it was they were likely doing when the river came into view. Lilybloom slowed her pace and looked hesitantly at the river. "Dad..." She called out to him weakly. "What are we doing here?"

@MUDPELT

It had been incredibly difficult to watch his daughter sink in on herself, like a pine's bough weighed down after a heavy snow. Lilybloom had always been so talkative, so curious, or adventurous, ever since she was a kit! Now? She's resigned and quiet, hardly even speaking to her own family even when they push her to share meals with them. It's been breaking the young father's heart. But the night before, an idea hit him: what if she doesn't have to be afraid of the river anymore? She can forget all about what happened!

He doesn't realize how reckless of a move it is. He's thrilled she'd agreed to go with him, and so he leads her through the territory, chatting all the way until they reach the river's edge. He turns to grin at her, amber eyes twinkling with excitement as he purrs, "I'm going to help you get back in the water, Lily! You don't have to be afraid if your ol' dad's here, right? It'll be fun! Just like when you were young!" He recalls those days with such joy, when he and Ice splashed about in the water with their little tortoiseshell girl. It can be like that again!

Her father seems excited at the prospect of being here and trying to help Lilybloom overcome her fears, the tortoiseshell is decidedly less so. The idea of trying to get back in the water when she doesn't have some duty urging her to do so fills her with a sense of dread. But her father's optimism is hard to ignore and she thinks that for him she would be willing to try. In a strange sort of way it really was like going back to when she was a kit, learning to swim and just getting used to being in the water under her parent's watchful gaze. "Okay dad, I'm willing to try," Lilybloom said after a long moment of thought, flashing him a weak smile. "What did you have in mind?"

Mudpelt's grin grows, the excitement over working one-on-one with his beloved daughter once more shadowing the fact that she doesn't appear excited. He never has been the best at reading others, unfortunately. "Okay, Lilybloom, just like when you were a kit, walk with me into the water," He suggests, stepping into the shallows and trying not to wince at how cold the temperature is dropping. Leaf-fall is definitely upon them. He looks towards the tortoiseshell expectantly, waiting for her to join him with a waggling tail.

Her father walks into the shallows first before encouraging her to walk out with him. Lilybloom doesn't immediately follow, in fact, she remains firmly rooted on the bank, watching her father carefully. When she does eventually follow him, she shivers when the cold temperature hits her almost instantly. The chilly water causes her to pause and she almost decides to turn back then, but another look at her father, and his optimistic expression spur her forward again.

Her father, bless him, he tries. He only wants to help. It's that thought which stops Lilybloom from snapping at him or shooting down his plan...at least not yet anyway.

She finally comes to stand next to him, and for a few brief moments, everything feels right. She is safe and with her father and the water can't hurt her. Lilybloom turns her head, lips parting to say something to her father when a loud splash nearby cuts her off. Although Lilybloom didn't see what had caused the noise, the mere sound is enough to set her on edge, sudden flashes of her accident rushing to her mind. No, no, no she had to get out! Turning rapidly, she quickly rushes back to the relative safety of the riverbank. With her back turned to her father and the river, she looks down at the ground and takes a few steadying breaths, trying to reassure her reeling mind that she is safe. "Stupid, stupid, stupid...." She mutters quietly under her breath.

Amber eyes alight with glee, he watches the tortoiseshell wade slowly out into the shallow water. Smile set firm upon chocolatey muzzle, he purrs, "That's it! You're doing great! Now let's just-"

Splash!

Ears perking, Mudpelt's head turns sharply towards the sudden sound. A flash of silver catches the sun's light before disappearing back into the rushing river. Looks like the fish are jumping today! Beaming, he turns back towards his daughter to see if she noticed only to see her whipping around. He stares after her in confusion and his jaws part to say something but nothing comes out. "Lilybloom...." He's finally able to voice, ears angling back as a small frown forms on his face. It's quickly replaced by a forced smile again as he follows her, offering up an optimistic, "Hey, it's okay! We'll just try again!"

His words are kind and optimistic, telling her that it was alright and that they would just try again. Lilybloom loves him for it really - the warmth and optimism - it wouldn't be her father otherwise. But in that moment, she silently curses him for it. Why did he have to be so nice? Why had he brought her here? Why couldn't he see she was hurting?

"No!" She snapped, whipping around to glare at her father with an alarming bout of speed. "It's not alright dad. Can't you see that? I'm terrified. Terrified." Lilybloom looks away sadly, ashamed at herself for snapping at Mudpelt who is only trying his best to help her, and shame at herself for being this way. She wasn't the first cat to have an accident in the river and it was doubtful she'd be the last either. "This was a stupid idea," She murmured. "You shouldn't have brought me here..."

Mudpelt's head snaps back around in surprise, eyes widening upon his daughter. She's never raised her voice at him before! His heart pounds as his brain works overtime to process her words. "Wh...I- I-" She continues, calling the idea stupid, and his ears fall back against his head, defeated. Had he been so blind as to not see her fear? Had he been too wrapped up in the idea of helping his daughter learn to swim again? Guilt claws away at his chest, a pit forming in his stomach. Tail drooped and head tilted off to the side apprehensively, he takes a hesitant step forward. "Lilybloom, I...I'm so sorry. We don't have to do this, we can go home." He feels horrible What kind of father is he if he can't even keep his daughter comfortable?

• Crying
Reactions: LILYBLOOM.