private where sad sisters all come down ➺ antlerpoison

doepath ࿔

the poison stains my mouth
Jan 4, 2024
They can never seem to escape this cycle. They are tied to each other, laced together in ribbons made of blood, knotted into pretty bows to hide the grievous wounds where the strings are pulled too tight. They wrap around sensitive spots, taut around the throat, covering the eyes, binding the limbs to do nothing but lay and take the claws that shared fate rakes down their backs.

Not even sleep can comfort them. Despite the fact she spends more hours in the day resting than awake, it doesn't feel like it recovers anything. The oblivion of sleep is hounded by the gnashing fangs of a hound, the smell of burning rubber, bright lights and sharp claws. Her brows furrow even while napping, tension held tightly in a horrified sort of expression despite her living awareness. The thrum of her heart beat grows louder in her ears, the roar of winds.... a whisper just barely heard amongst it, "Doe...."

Her eyes snap open, lifting her head abruptly to look around... awkwardly she scrambles back in her nest, hissing at the surprising jolt of pain down her leg.... But then there is a familiar scent in the stagnant air and even in the dull light she can make out familiar tones of sepia and bark, "Antler..?" The name feels familiar on her tongue and yet... up until this moment had eluded her completely. They were littermates... and she'd forgotten her name....

She swallows thickly against the overwhelming tide of guilt, sniffing again at the stink of herbs that coat the two of them- had she crept closer? "Why are you here...?" Even what small pieces she can pull together, they still filter in too slow to remember the timing... the fact she'd been here the whole time. The memory of that twisted, bound fate that saw them both victims of strategic violence. Enemies of Skyclaw... despite all the work the dappled, scruffy warrior had done to keep them shrouded from his sight.

@antlerpoison
erm... sorry for forgetting u for a minute i have what the kids call. head trauma

The hours leading up until Doe's awakening had Antler scared. Scared raw, like the wound on her side. She can still feel the sharp claws digging down her side as she looks on at Doe. That's mostly all she's done since Braveheart and Carrionshriek- she can't remember any more names right now, she can't, she can't- had carried her sister in here. That's all she's done since Gentlestorm put Doe back together, since Doe started the long road of recovery.

Doe's eyebrows drew together, tightly. They knotted, and Antler's eyes slowly widened, realizing that was movement. Twitching of her free limbs alerted Antler and she drew closer, tugging herself from where her nest had cradled her damaged body over to her sister. "Doe? Doe." She called, and when damaged eyes snapped open as her head jerked up, Antler almost recoiled. She remained there while Doe slowly figured out who she was, and when asked, she responded- "It's me. Yes." Antler croaked, relief entering her voice.

Her nose turned, gently pressing to Doe anywhere it couldn't hurt her. Why are you here? A noise left her, inquisitive and hurt, and her head picked up to search Doe's glazed vision- "Skyclaw hurt me. You were there for that. What... Doe, what can you remember?" She whispered, voice cracking.
  • "speech"
  • GealYnG.png
  • ANTLERPOISON she/her, warrior of thunderclan, thirteen moons.
    LH cinnamon lynx sepia with low white. smaller body, agile and slippery, fits really well in small gaps in the underbrush. soft spoken but strong and determined.
    previously mentored by howlingstar / / mentoring no one
    padding after no one / / sibling to fallowbite and doepath
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by dallas ↛ dallasofnines on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

At least she didn't have to face the humiliation of being wrong... did not have to witness the grimace of misery that would come from getting her name wrong. How would she feel... if something other than 'Doe' were uttered to describe her? By a loved one... by one she'd spent her whole life with? It nauseates her to think about... dizzied by the staggering dismay that would overwhelm her.

The small whine of confusion makes that feeling a reality, a twist of her gut telling her that she's said something wrong. Done something wrong? Anxiously, sun-drop eyes find the earth for comfort, to hide from the pained face that stares at her. The same one that explains it as old news... news she had been there for... news she ought to know already.

"What can you remember?"

Something... she had to remember something. The fawn she-cat licks her lips nervously, trying to sift through the miasma of her own thoughts. "I'm sorry," she murmurs, sliding the pictures of Antler's tattered form from days prior. She'd been there.... "I knew that..."

"I remember... leaving camp... a patrol. And then... just some she-cat asking if I can open my eyes," her chest squeezes uncomfortably, miserable to admit it before it's even said. 'I thought... I thought for a moment maybe it was momma..." Before she'd become angry... before she'd dug her claws into the baby-faced fur of her children. She shakes her head, trying to dismiss it as something Antler shouldn't worry about... or acknowledge even, lest the embarrassment turn into grief instead.

"What.... what happened to me?" If anyone would know... it'd be her sister right? She who never left her side, even if it meant squishing their nests in the medicine cat den closer. Just like they had when they'd first arrived in ThunderClan. A cycle that never seems to falter.