private WHERE THE CICADAS CRY — lilacfur

It's nearly dusk when Lilacfur returns from her hunting excursion, jaws loaded with fresh-kill for her kits to choose from. Marblekit waits for her outside the nursery impatiently, her tail tip flicking every which way. When she finally spots the pale spotted coat of her mother, she pushes herself to her paws and waves with urgency. "Lilacfur! I need to talk to you," she mews, and then she darts forward, meeting her mother halfway.

They're nearly breathless when they finally begin to speak. "Lilacfur, I... I talked to Starlingheart last night." Her round dull-green eyes settle on Lilacfur's face. She feels a thrum of anxiety ripple through her chest, and her tongue becomes thick, fuzzy, like she'd coated it in sap.

Siltcloud had instilled the warrior code into her head from birth. Lilacfur lives her life by it, duty-bound. Would they be disappointed in her, if she were to stray from the beaten path? She swallows, then mews, "I asked her if I could be her apprentice. She said yes." One ear flicks sideways. "I'm going to be a medicine cat apprentice."

• ooc:
  • pcAn1D5.jpeg
  • Marblekit, she/they w/ feminine and non-gendered terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 5 moons old, ages realistically on the 1st.
    — mentored by n/a ; mentoring n/a ; previously mentored n/a
    — shadowclan kit, formerly a rogue. siltcloud x lilacfur, gen 3.
    — currently mated to n/a.
    — penned by Marquette.

sh fawn tabby with dull green eyes. courageous, curious, introspective, observant, judgmental, snarky.

It's jarring now, how quickly things changed. Once Lilacfur had to dodge her kits running beneath her paws, hardly able to be seen over the mound of prey in her jaws. Now she could see them, sitting tall or running toward her as they grew under the strength of a Clan, no longer just a pile of frail bones and thin fur.

Her dusk patrol returned rather late that evening. Shadepaw had needed a bit more focus on her crouch while on uneven ground, but they had all returned with something to eat at least.

"You're still awake." Lilacfur mused as she pushed the prey closer to the pile. In the pause between exchange the lead worried Marblekit was about to make the same request her brother had. She couldn't possibly take both of them, let alone have three apprentices at once. With Shadepaw having just lost her sister, she didn't want to push the molly off to another warrior so she could take on both her kits.

Thankfully, it doesn't appear Marblekit sought such promises from her mother. "Ooh, I'm sure she appreciated a visitor." Lilacfur smiled as she began to part from the prey pile and lead Marblekit away.

I asked her if I could be her apprentice. She said yes." Oh.

So she had done the same as her brother, only unto her sister instead.

Nearly two moons had passed since Magpiepaw's death, Starlingheart's first apprentice. She thought of Ghostpaw, how her niece had been her first as well, and how she had failed to keep her own kin safe. How Nightswarm had done the same only moons later.

I have to trust her.

"I think you and Starlingheart have made a great choice." The scarred tabby nodded, slowly. "Being a medicine cat is hard work, just different from a warriors. It's still dangerous, too." The numerous lacerations and wounds that bore Starlingheart's body proved as much. "You'll still learn how to fight, just in case. I'll teach you myself."

• Love
Reactions: Marquette
"You're still awake." It's a simple observation. Marblekit dips her head to her mother, nodding. "I waited for you," she explains. Lilacfur's reaction is not exactly of disappointment or surprise. She accepts her daughter's path readily enough, though she remarks upon the dangers. Marblekit thinks of her aunt's scars, the damaged ear, the missing green eye, and nods, hesitantly. That wasn't because she was a medicine cat, Marblekit thinks blearily. That's because she was too close to Mama's brother. The knowledge that she shares so much blood with the tom who'd hurt Starlingheart hurts her, too.

"You'll still learn how to fight, just in case. I'll teach you myself." Marblekit's ears flick with surprise. "I thought medicine cats didn't hunt or fight," she mews, uncertain. "But if you think I should... I don't mind." Learning to defend herself is certainly unlike Siltcloud baring her claws against a Clanmate—it's certainly unlike Granitepelt's teeth buried in another cat's neck.

• ooc:
  • pcAn1D5.jpeg
  • Marblekit, she/they w/ feminine and non-gendered terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 5 moons old, ages realistically on the 1st.
    — mentored by n/a ; mentoring n/a ; previously mentored n/a
    — shadowclan kit, formerly a rogue. siltcloud x lilacfur, gen 3.
    — currently mated to n/a.
    — penned by Marquette.

sh fawn tabby with dull green eyes. courageous, curious, introspective, observant, judgmental, snarky.