winter bloom - lake

After many conversations about the future and the possibility of kits, it was now their reality. Although Lilybloom had had her suspicions, Ravensong's confirmation that she was expecting had caught her off guard, but she was otherwise delighted by the news. As soon as she was able, she had shared the news with Lakemoon, and then her own family. Lilybloom couldn't help but wonder if Lakemoon was sad she couldn't share the news with more of her kin but hadn't pried much into that.

They sat together eating a large fish. Lilybloom could still perform warrior duties for now, but soon she would be holed up in the nursery, unable to do much for herself. "So, if you had to guess, how many kits do you think we'll have?" Lilybloom asked, letting her mate ponder the question whilst she enjoyed a few bites of the fish. Supposedly, the medicine cats would have been able to tell, but Lilybloom liked the element of surprise in not knowing. "I'm thinking six," She added, with a smirk.

@Lakemoon .

image0.jpg
LAKEMOON — me and the devil, walking side by side.
The news of Lilybloom’s pregnancy carried an emotional weight the moon-lit tabby had not expected.
While the litter was planned, the idea of her and Lilybloom’s legacy scampering between their legs was now real, the realization she had no one to share her joy with except her mottled love a painful afterthought.
Curled tightly around Lilybloom, Lakemoon takes her last bite, content with letting Lilybloom finish their meal- she was eating for more than just herself now, afterall.
As the other begins to muse, Lakemoon takes it upon herself to groom behind the future queens ears, letting her question churn through the gears of her head.
"Hmm…" the spindly warrior breathes.
I’m thinking six.
The grooming comes to an abrupt stop as Lakemoon pauses, peering past her mates cheek to stare into a verdant pool.
"Six? That would uh…" The warrior echoes, trying to imagine six miniature versions of herself and Lilybloom running around.
Initial shock melts into a small smile when azure optics flicker to the smirk the tortoiseshell wears.
"If anyone could wrangle six kits, it would be you." Lakemoon finally scoffs, a breath of laughter on her tongue as she light-heartedly nuzzles her temple against a brindled muzzle.
"I think three would be a good number- or perhaps four." The silvery molly finally answers with a tilt of her chin.
"Have you thought about names?" Lakemoon had, though mainly they consisted of generational names from her own lineage, and the question of if she had any right to use them.

"speech"

She chuckles at her mate's staggered response. By her reaction, it seems as though her silvery mate had been expecting far fewer kits to deal with, which is further reflected in her suggestion of three or four. "Perhaps we'll only have one," Lilybloom mused. She had been the only kit in her parents first litter and Lakemoon had been one of two. Then again, they both had kin who had larger litters. "I've heard talk that the medicine cats can tell how many a queen will have at a certain point," Lilybloom said. "But I rather like the surprise."

At the question of names, Lilybloom nodded, quietly wondering if her mate had any suggestions floating around before answering herself. "It would be nice to name one or two after my kin," She answered, imagining tortoiseshell kits running around that she could name after her mother, or brown tabbys she could name after her father or uncle. "I would like to name a few after the river too. Like Ripplekit, Bubblekit, Pebblekit...well, maybe not Pebblekit, I think one is more than enough for our clan. What about you, do you have names you like?"