private wrong face, wrong time // scorchstorm

It had been earlier in the morning. She was stretching her legs, relishing in the sun's warmth for once, after a too-long stint of haphazard and sick-filled mornings. She hadn't noticed Scorchstorm approaching her, not at first, but when she incidentally turned to face the flame-striped she-cat, the other's gaze flickered with surprise and confusion. Something akin to a stiff good morning rolled uncomfortably off her tongue as she diverted her path and left with the same quickness. Cottonsprig tried to write it off as nothing.

Admittedly however the she-cat finds herself dwelling on the details all day. Scorchstorm and her sister were close - they shared meals almost as often as she and Juncoclaw had (the thought is saddened by recent experiences, but she presses on.) They've noticeably been separate ever since Bluefrost announced her brief retirement to the nursery, but... what if her sister, normally so cold and guarded, spoke freely with the deputy's daughter? Fear may as well be her blood, then, for it flows too-quickly through her veins, spiking her with adrenaline.

"Hey, Scorchstorm!" she calls out awkwardly to the she-cat, interrupting the other mid-meal. Her tail lashes, though she doesn't appear any bit angry. Agitated and wary, maybe, but not angry. "I was wondering... if you're okay? You looked like you saw a horned hare, the way you looked at me this morning..." She trails off, hoping that if anything, it's a misunderstanding. Bluefrost surely would keep her secret... right?​

It had been earlier in the morning. She had seen Bluefrost, had approached her like she had done for a few moons now — a comfortable stride, something witty on the tongue — only to realize she had misidentified the other molly. With one realization made another tumbled after: she has shunned Bluefrost's company since the announcement of her pregnancy. It had dug up the hurt all over again, and so Scorchstorm had quickly departed, shamed and embarrassed by the mix-up.

It is only when Cottonsprig finds her later that Scorchstorm must reckon with her mistake. When the medicine cat finds her, she is chewing through her own portion of plover. In her surprise, her lungs seize just slightly, and she coughs around the bird into her shoulder. "Sorry," she murmurs between spasms of breath. When she settles, she returns her gaze to Cottonsprig in true, ears twitching. "Sorry," she repeats, though now she apologizes for a different offense. Sheepishly, she smiles a tiny smile. "I... thought you were Bluefrost. When I realized I was wrong, I was embarrassed."

And that is it. Simple. No conniving lies, no spilling of secrets. Cottonsprig's round belly does not even register with the flame-streaked molly; she looks past it entirely, too unfamiliar with pregnancy to comment. With little more to say, Scorchstorm pushes the plover towards the ashy feline. "Would you like some?" She does not acknowledge the aortic spurt of sadness the action brings.
u9a4dSL.png

• ooc.
  • SCORCHSTORM —— warrior of windclan, mentored by sunstar & badgermoon . scorchstreak x badgermoon . littermate to rumblerain, frostwind, and luckypaw ✦ penned by meghan

a broad-shouldered tortoiseshell with low white and dual-toned amber eyes. extremely loyal to sunstar and her family, and enjoys a deep connection to the moorlands
    demigirl / she they pronouns / lesbian / 16 moons & ages every 1st
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / underline & tag account when attacking
    —— will start fights / will not flee / may show mercy. fights honorably and with great ferocity. can tank a few hits, but is not the sturdiest cat in windclan. starts fights with the intention of finishing them permanently, but will not aim to maim or kill obviously young cats

"speech", thoughts, all opinions are in character
    full biography — msg on discord for plots — toyhouse