private you are my favorite distraction // Flora

Jan 5, 2023

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- Everything felt so off with the recent events of the sun. Everyone was in panic mode and saying how it was a sign from Starclan. Was it though? Would Starclan do something as drastic as this? What were they warning them of? They didnt know to be honest as they forest had settled into a lull since Sootstars death. New leaf was here and there was prosperity! They tried to not let the sinking feeling of the dark sun get to them and tried to move on with life as normal- but now eggshells littered the ground. Something was in place that they could not begin to understand.

Honeysplash shook her head quickly and they looked back for a moment, “Hey Flora- what do you make of the sun?” They asked the daylight warrior curiously. The cream and white warrior had become quite close to Flora over their time together, she considered her a friend really,”Do you think it’s a sign? Have you seen it happen before?” They had so many questions and they knew they couldn’t expect answers either. They just needed to get this foreboding sense off their chest.

Then the warrior shook their head slightly, “Sorry- im just- frazzled” she said softly and shrugged slightly.

• SPEECH
  • 78199381_aoTXrQHcRsrwjrB.png
  • HONEYSPLASH she/they, Warrior of Skyclan, 27 moons.
    A lithe, cream tabby cat with high white and green eyes.
    Younger siister to Orangestar, Applefrost and Apritcotflower and littermates with Blueberrybounce and Cloudberrythorn // Former mate to; Quillstrike
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    see battle info here
    penned by youwolf_1997 on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

At first Flora didn't notice that the sun had eclipsed, busy trying to get a head start on cleaning the matts out of her fur. She had only realised when it was properly dark, she panicked, like most of Skyclan did, but she talked herself out of it pretty quickly. It was a matter of sheer will, Flora didn't know much about Starclan nor did she know about omens and ill tidings. However, she knew she wasn’t dying away from her siblings and that was it, no ‘Starclan’ or anything like that was going to change this.

“Hmm” she was trying once again to clean her paws, it was a never ending task. “I don't really make anything of the sun, I think…” she trails off, briefly looking to the sky before looking back over at her friend. “I try to think of it like the sun just got tired early, no one was hurt so I'm not really thinking about it.”

Her irreverent attitude carried onto acts of potential ill omens apparently. It carried into her philosophy, not allowing herself to get upset at things for long. Still, even though she personally tried to not let it get to her she could pick up that it was bothering Honeysplash. The daylight warrior moved so she could be beside her friend, gently nudging her with her plumy tail. “Hey, you're good, things are okay. I haven't seen this before but the way I see it, how can we be sure it's a bad thing? It may be good” her ears dropped from their usual perky position, as green eyes were shining in concern. “Are you okay?”

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- The young warrior adverted her gaze downward and sighed softly, Flora was perhaps right. Maybe it was a sign of a good thing and no one did get hurt too so it couldnt be all bad? Honeysplash wasn’t certain but it left her feeling out of sorts and she nodded in agreement to her words. She was right, of course, she had to be right. Then the young chocolate warrior caught up to them and nudged them.

The hesitated a little bit before sagging their shoulders slightly in defeat, “I just- guess im kinda struggling a little bit?” She admitted softly to her friend, her mind going back to what Figfeather had to say about her status with Chrysaliswing. Was she right? Were they doing the wrong thing? “Figfeather came up to me the other day and its been weighing on my mind-

Honeysplash hadn’t spoken to anyone about her feelings for Chrys- not even really admitting them to herself. It always seemed that whatever they did the tomcat was always angry. Always explosive like a fire ant swarming her pelt. The cream warrior sighed softly and pawed at the ground as they walked, “Do you think it is wrong that i do like Chrysaliswing?” She asked softly and couldnt look up to her friend, “Like- Hes not that bad of a cat is he?

• SPEECH
    Younger siister to Orangestar, Applefrost and Apritcotflower and littermates with Blueberrybounce and Cloudberrythorn // Former mate to; Quillstrike
    see battle info here

Flora nods, draping her fluffy tail over Honeysplash's side in an attempt of comfort while she listens to her friend. She couldn't say that she knew Figfeather that well, she had seen her around but interactions hadn't gone past surface level. Whatever she said, it must have been pretty serious… or pretty bad? if it's affecting Honeysplash this much. As long as Flora had known them they seemed to be very upbeat, marching to the beat of their own drum and usually in high spirits.

“Do you think it is wrong that I do like Chrysaliswing?” the question had stumped her. She blinked slowly, ears twitching as she found herself trying to think of an answer. Looking down at her friend, her smile never faltering, she didn't want to give her any indication of an opinion until she had actually thought about it. “Do you like him as a friend or a romantic interest?” She asked innocently, usually there would be an underlying tone of teasing but it didn't feel appropriate. “My answer won't change depending on what you say but… it's just good to know” it helped that she was nosy, of course. The real issue was that she didn't want to see her friend's heart be broken, she needed to know what the stakes were.

Flora found it hard to dislike someone, even harder to hate them. She truly believed that everyone had a good side to them, the daylight warrior was a little too trusting and perhaps that would be her downfall. That being said, Chrysaliswing didn't like daylight warriors, that was obvious. The only time she had personally seen it in action was when he spoke to Blue, it wasn't as fiery as she had heard stories of him being. Yet it was still enough to have her stand a little closer to her neighbour at the time.

The issue was that even then she didn't dislike him, she just didn’t necessarily trust him around other daylight warriors, especially Blue. Flora had an issue where she was always self assured that things were going to work out for her, if her impulses were slightly less under control she may have even tried to speak to him by now. At the end of the day, he was Honeysplash's friend and she had faith that they wouldn't keep around someone bad with them. “I don't know Chrysaliswing very well, or at all really. I just hear stories, stories I'm sure you're aware of Nana” her voice is lower than normal, usually that happens when she's trying to soothe others.

“I don’t necessarily think he’s bad but you know him better than I do. How do you feel? If you like him then I have faith that he's not a bad cat.” She pauses, trying to think of what to say next. This was a delicate conversation and she wanted to make sure that she was being fair.
“Is he good to you, are you happy with him?”

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- They had no idea why they had confessed everything to Flora. Surely the brown cat didnt need more weight on her shoulders and they should know better than to just lay things out to the others. Yet she couldnt help it- she was desperate for someone to talk to. Someone to treat her normally like they had before her disappearance. Someone where things were not damaged beyond repair. The cream warrior glanced down at the grass as the words teetered on their tongue. They weren’t sure how they were suppose to look at Chrys anymore.

I- i like him a lot? Like- sure he can be harsh and not know how to use his words right-” She said softly and tried to find justification in her feelings but everything felt so hopeless. Was it romantic? Chrys didnt seem to see them in a romantic way or even in a friendly way, especially since she brought the egg to camp to surprise him with her first catch since being back. He- he probably tolerated her.

Honeysplash sighed heavily and her ears flattened to her head, “I dont think he likes me back in anyway- cause he was really upset over the egg present? But he is willing to train me and help me and we played on the rockpile the other day together-” She squeezed her eyes shut and swallowed thickly. It felt like it was the stupidest choice she could’ve made in a tomcat. Her record for mates and partners hasn’t been a good one and she just- wished she could take it back. Change things and maybe not hurt so much?

I dont think he’s a bad cat- just misunderstood?” She glanced up to her chocolate furred friend and looked down a bit once more out of nervousness

• SPEECH
    see battle info here

She noted down that Honeysplash hadn't directly answered which way the word ‘like’ had swung. Relationships are hard, navigating feelings are even harder, Flora understood that it wasn't just a black and white thing. That doesn't mean that she doesn't mentally store that information in the ‘oh she definitely has some romantic feelings for him’ folder of her brain. It sucked seeing her friend like this, the maine coon had half a mind to request the walk to end so they could sit and talk about it. The walking was probably helping Honeysplash though, good to be active and keeping the mind on something other than your feelings during conversations like this. “I’m sure he has good qualities right? No one’s solely made up out of bad qualities.” she offered gently. Flora hoped not anyways, it must be lonely to only have bad qualities.

She blinked at her friend's words, unsure what they meant by upset. Was it in a ‘I'm upset at you’ or a ‘I'm upset at the situation’ way? “You should ask him how feels- I'm serious! being direct is always an option” she paused. It's easier said than done, being confronted with a rejection could be devastating. However she would counter that wouldn't it be worse to just wallow in these feelings than get a concrete answer.

Her ear flicked towards Honeysplash as she listened to the warrior explain that she didn’t think he was a bad cat. “Then that's all I need to know. Being bad is subjective, right? Cats are complicated, he may be both bad and misunderstood but that doesn’t mean that you can’t like him. I really can't tell you either way Nana, I don't like to think of others in a negative light so my judgement is inherently biassed” she paused again, looking down at her friend. Her gaze was soft and that smile never left, she wanted them to be happy and if there was a potential for that in Chrysaliswing then she was never going to be against that.

“He wouldn't train you or spend any time with you for that matter if he didn't like you. He doesn't sound like the type to just go along with things or spend time with cats that he doesn’t like” She hadn’t seen them together in those more vulnerable moments but she had the inclination that he must like her in some capacity. The maine coon was confident that anyone who heard this from her would assume the same.“If you want me to talk you out of it I can try but I want you to be happy ‘kay? if it's with him then I'm rooting for you. I think talking to him about it would be best, if you can see yourself happy with him then go for it. If it doesn’t work out then that’s okay but don’t make that decision for the both of you.” She shrugged, looking up at the sky to try and catch a glimpse of the void in the sky or rather the lack of it. Absentmindedly wondering if it would come back, a big event like that sure would cause reflection huh? Flora felt a little awkward giving advice, she personally didn’t really think she was the greatest at it but she wanted to be there for Honeysplash.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- The dancing around the word like was a hard thing for them. They had trusted one too many tomcats with their heart and it had gotten shattered each time. Either by way of them never liking them in the first place or being one of the worst cats they had ever come across. Pigeonsong had been someone close to her and she saw a life with- but who knows where he had gone. Honeysplash heaved a heavy sigh and flicked her ears back, Flora made sense though. She always made sense and it felt like she could see things in a clearer way than she could. She was thankful for that.

You’re right, i should talk to him- and thanks for wanting me to be happy, Flora” Honeysplash responded with and nodded to affirm their own words further. Suppose communication was the best option right? Thats how it was suppose to work right? They didnt know, they hadn’t really courted anyone before nor been in the sort of situation they needed to talk about their feelings.

Though she did give a small chuckle of amusement, “Chrys hardly hangs out with himself and he doesn’t like himself” She mused with a small shrug of her shoulders. No, he wouldn’t spend time with her nor play with her if he hated her. Maybe his innate fear of twolegs had been too strong when she brought over the egg. He truly seemed convinced that they had come from the egg or something.

He thought twolegs came from the plastic egg i brought- it was kinda funny” She admitted with a slight giggle to herself.

• SPEECH
    see battle info here