you got too many || bear q&a

Jan 10, 2023
oak-leaf-in-minimalist-boho-and-vintage-hand-drawn-illustration-for-design-element-free-png.png
‎‎‎‎‎‎‏‏‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ❝You want to know 'bout bears?
Heavybranch echoes, his gruff voice hiding the surprise that his flat face plainly shows. It's a normal thing for cats of all ages to approach Heavybranch with questions about the world, and Heavybranch has always been happy to oblige with snippets of advice or stories pertinent to the situation. It was only a matter of time before someone asked Heavybranch about bears — certainly someone his advanced age had seen them before.
‎‎‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ Heavybranch had never seen them before.
Of course,❞ Heavybranch offers a quick wink to any warrior nearby, a quiet signal that these weren't words to be considered when coming up with plans to deal with the bears, then redirects his attention to the kit who asked, a smile stretching his face, ❝There's a lot to know about bears, but the basics — I'll tell you this — the basics is that they are badgers that grew too big. Badger's got big ol' claws good for digging, but bears? They have big ol' claws good for climbing, but other than that and their pelts, they truly are one and the same.
‎‎‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ He nods, satisfied with his own explanation, ❝Anything else you need't know?

@Emberkit
P. 14

//I’m so so sorry for how long this took me to get to! <3

She was terrified of the beasts, but curious too. How could she not be? They were larger than life, larger than anything she’d ever imagined, and they’d come barreling through her home and loved ones like… like thunder given form. ‘Bears,’ that’s what Heavybranch called them. Emberkit didn’t like the name very much. It sounded growly, angry, just one more reason to be afraid.
Badgers… that got too big?” Emberkit blinked in amazement. Was that something that could happen? Ordinary beasts, scary enough on their own, could get bigger, scarier? She understood that the elder wasn’t being completely literal, but it still made her shudder. They could climb too, he said. I have to remember that.

And anything else? “W-Well, um… are they gonna come looking for us? Can… can they hear us in here, if we get too loud?Are they gonna find us, and hurt us again?

————— ☾ —————
NOW I KNOW WHAT'S REAL, WHAT'S FAKE

Swankit listens silently to Heavrybranch's explanation, vacant expression displaying no reactions Badgers. Hm. It makes sense, he guesses... The monsters he saw, though, the ones whose very steps shook the earth, they've become something far beyond a badger. A subtle shudder passes through him at the memory.

Emberkit's second question has their ears perking up. "Are they gonna come looking for us" He blinks slowly in thought, before piping up with a soft and warbling voice. "They came looking for me... And my mama, and my sisters. Maybe they'll come back again..." He trails off, face scrunching up. "I think I hear them sometimes, when I'm falling asleep. Followed me into my dreams... But I always tell them to go away. Always... " He hopes it'll work, he hopes they won't come back. He'd like to reassure Emberkit, but...

"I dunno if they'll listen," he concludes nonchalantly, placid smile not betraying the fear he feels.
RATHER SLEEP THAN STAY AWAKE
————— ☾ —————

• //
  • SWANKIT named for his pale fur, after his maternal grandmother.
    — he/him. 2 moons.
    — shadowclan kit.
    — quiet and dreamy.

penned by saturnid.​
  • "SPEECH"
  • Untitled147_20230514003200.png