private You Kick up The Leaves and The Magic is Lost || Ribbitleap

Emberpaw

Stand straight, keep your mind on track
May 14, 2023
Emberpaw. Im Emberpaw now. Woah. The name switch had been a little difficult for the child to grasp, but everyone around her using the name flawlessly had helped. It was strange to think that not long ago Chilledstar had chided her, or rather, chided Wheatpaw, for even thinking about letting her wander around outside of camp, and all of a sudden she was now allowed. Well, so long as Ribbitleap was with her. Why did Chilledstar choose him of all cats? Ribbitleap’s temper was sour, a sludge thick with contempt that seemed hyper-focused on her. Only her, now that she thought about it.

Then… Maybe it really is me. I did something. I wish I could remember what. Maybe underneath the storm clouds and uncomfortable electric glares, her mentor was as warm and bright as Chilledstar. They were related after all. Probably. I think. Ribbitleap denied any relation to Emberpaw, despite her being Chilledstar’s daughter, which made things as clear as a trod on puddle. It doesn’t matter. All that stuff isn’t important. What’s important is being a good apprentice. If I do a really good job, maybe he’ll be happier to see me. Maybe he’ll start to like me, even!

Sparkling dew shone all the brighter when caught beneath the sun. Moments before the the withering heat would banish it back to oblivion.

Good morning, Ribbitleap!” Emberpaw purred, doing her best to embody the feeling of a blue sky on a perfect day. She wanted Ribbitleap to know that she was going to do her absolute best as his apprentice, never any less!
We explore the territory today, right?” Eager and she’d done a little asking around to be sure she knew what was what. The queens had told her that the first session between mentor and apprentice was almost always getting a feel for the territory. I finally get to go outside, without anyone getting mad at me!

/ @RIBBITLEAP <3

Back when Ribbitleap was Emberpaw's age, ShadowClan was still far from its formation - its approaching existence unknown to the Marsh Group he'd been born into as Frog's Ribbit.

Back then, warriors weren't really a thing and neither were apprentices. When Ribbitleap was Emberpaw's age, his mentor was merely the freedom of marshes he grew up in - lessons forged by games he and Leaping Toad, would come up with. Games of camouflage, of pouncing on their peers in muddy puddles. Missions to defeat kittypets; ones merely pretend, until suddenly they weren't. Until inseparable twins became an only child in mourning.

By the time ShadowClan had formed, by the time he'd gained his apprentice name and a mentor of his own, Ribbitleap had already known the basics, had already had his first catch, and had been in his first battle. He had already witnessed death and seen StarClan. Rustleap - his mentor - had little to teach him and, because of that, the warrior had made little impact on him.

Part of Ribbitleap wishes the warrior had been someone to admire, that he'd been someone to compare himself to as Ribbitleap steps into his first endeavor as a mentor. His first apprentice; he doesn't want to mess this up too badly.

Then again, another part of him wishes he'd been given a different apprentice than the one he leaves the warrior den to retrieve for their first lesson. Anyone other than Emberpaw - than his so-called sibling, though Ribbitleap refuses this. Just because she shadows Geckoscreech's mate doesn't mean he is her brother, no matter what Chilledstar and the rest of ShadowClan may think.

She is cheerful as she approaches him, a 'good morning!' laced with purrs. A torn ear twitches as he looks down at the gray tabby before him. "Emberpaw," he greets her with a resigned tone, a nod of the head in acknowledgment.

He opens his mouth once more to explain the day's lesson, to tell her what she'll be doing, but she speaks instead, gives him their lesson plan. Swamp-green eyes blink at Emberpaw. Of course, this is what he was planning on doing, but how would she know that? Maybe she should do her own mentoring if she already knows what they're meant to be up to.

"I'm showing you around the territory," he says with a dismissive flick of the tail, "Exploring sounds like you'll be wandering off, which you're not allowed to do." Though he'd rather her have the independent learning he'd had at her age, he knows things are different now, that the forest is filled with more dangers than it once was. He can't lose his first apprentice on the first day, and he'd rather not get on the leader's bad side more than he probably already is.

Without another word, he moves toward the camp's exit, only to turn to make sure Emberpaw knows to follow him. "Are you coming or not? If you don't keep up, I'm not going to be able to show you anything."