private YOU'VE SEEN THE BUTCHER ✧ nightbird

The moon is high and round, not-quite full but just on the periphery. Leaf-fall is beginning to color ThunderClan’s forest in rich blazes of scarlet and gold, though under the cover of night, many colors fade and dull. Raccoonstripe tries to enjoy the crunch underpaw of newly-brittle leaf litter, of the crisp bite the wind has as it combs through his thick tabby fur, but he’s uncharacteristically quiet. He pads alongside the she-cat he’d asked on this harebrained, hard-won moonhigh stroll, but Raccoonstripe finds himself at odds.

I’d hoped this would be a little more fun,” he says, throwing her a rueful smile. The forest is eerily quiet, and neither of them have been very talkative since leaving camp. “I know you’re gonna miss me when you’re gone, so I should give you a good night to look back on when you’re thousands of foxlengths away from here, sleeping in dens with RiverClan and ShadowClan…” His smile fades, mouth twitching.

…Do you really think this is a good idea?” He swings his dark gaze her way, trying to catch star-silver eyes. He would not try to talk her out of going—he had decided that from the moment they’d left camp. It would only upset her, and besides… she must have her reasons, though he begins to wonder if she even knows what they are.

• @nightbird
  • raccoon . raccoonstripe
    — he/him ; lead warrior of thunderclan
    — heteroflexible ; single
    — long-haired black tabby with white and dark brown eyes
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — penned by Marquette
    — chibi by Rai

nightbird had held to their agreement, even if it felt like so much time had passed since it was made. her life was uprooted not long after they had returned, it was strange. thunderclan was her home, the only place she should be until her last breath, and now the only way to save it was trekking into mountains with cats who would surely be happy to see her dead. but the moon was not yet full, there was still time for her in thunderclan. and besides, she had a date to attend.

moonlight shining along the path and brisk weather- it was calm here, far from the calamity of camp that surely had yet to settle. quiet too, she would have expected relentless boasting from raccoonstripe following his big win. but the tabby was quiet as they walked and nightbird wasn't sure if the prickle along her spine was from the chill night breeze or the uncharacteristic silence from her friend.

it was broken at last, his voice slicing through the air. a quick huffed laughter followed from the molly, she glanced over to catch his smile that, for once, did not span from ear to ear. he mentions sharing a den with riverclan and shadowclan cats, nightbird wished he hadn't. the thought alone has her tail twitching, black nose coiling in disgust. "that would be the noble thing to do," she comments teasingly despite his waning grin.

"not at all, no." she turned to meet his gaze, much different than the one bestowed upon her at the meeting. the journey was far from a good idea, anyone could see that. it was not that she doubted howlingstar or her decision, but loyalty did not make her blind. it was dangerous, borderline insane, but above all else necessary. "but either way, i have to go. a death in those mountains beats one to yellowcough anyways, much more heroic."

momentarily she thinks of the thunderclanners going, of flamewhisker and little wolf who both had families swelling the ranks. raccoonstripe had lost a sibling so recently, was a wreck over graystorm's death. nightbird would assume he was worried over his sister attending the journey as well, but thunderclan couldn't afford that in a time like this. they would need strength and stability in the remaining warriors to make it through, the least she could do was attempt to ease his mind. "try not to worry too much, i'll do everything i can to make sure they all return safely."

• NIGHTBIRD she/her, lead warrior of thunderclan, twenty-five moons
    nightbird is a small black smoke molly with pale silver eyes. a loner turned thunderclanner, her loyalty and drive to provide for her clan is unwavering. however, she is not known for harboring a bleeding heart, instead equipped with sarcastically fueled wit, brutal honesty, and a sharply edged tongue.
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking ↛ see battle info here
    penned by vayle@vayl3 on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

The tabby huffs with laughter at his companion’s snarky response. “Sorry, I’m really usually a better date than this.” His eyes narrow, ears twitching as he takes in her reasoning. “So you feel this is something you must do? Is that because you don’t trust your Clanmates, or because you fear the sickness?” He slows his pace, the two of them now padding slowly and shoulder-to-shoulder.

He grins, though it does not reach the shadowed depths of his eyes. “Heroism, Nightbird? I hadn’t expected that from you.” He huffs laughter through his nostrils. “Flamewhisker, yes. Batwing, probably. Lightstrike? Certainly. But you’ve never struck me as the… type.” Truthfully, he’s always felt she had been more in league with him, knowing the right thing to do is rarely the easy thing—knowing the road to greatness is paved with unfortunate choices.

Raccoonstripe remembers the Great Battle, the tortoiseshell’s blood in his mouth, and some of the light leaves his gaze as if snuffed. “Either way. I’m not going soft on you, don’t worry. Someone’s going to have to pick up the slack while you and Flamewhisker are gone.” He chuckles thinly. “Doubt it’ll be Wolfwind, and it sure won’t be Sunfreckle, so…

Why does he want to say more—but more of what? He keeps searching his mind for something, and nothing comes—not readily enough, not right enough. Raccoonstripe, for all his witticisms, rarely speaks without thinking. He should not do that today, tonight, under the moon with Nightbird.

I will expect you to return. We’ll have to make this dreary date up tenfold.

•  
    — penned by Marquette
    — chibi by Rai

nightbird shrugs, she trusted most of those cats to get the job done, believed in flamewhisker's ability to wrangle them throughout the mission if they strayed. and yellowcough, it's claws were sharp and all consuming, but it didn't make sense to fear the inevitable. her luck hadn't run out just yet in that regard. "i wouldn't be able to just sit here waiting while they're all gone, i think it would drive me mad."

despite raccoonstripe's hollow grin, the lead warrior can't help but to match his huff of amusement. "hm, maybe you're right," she hums, eyebrows knitting in a pensive facade. flamewhisker, batwing, lightstrike all had their reasons, certainly more charitable than whatever had possessed her to volunteer. "but, 'nightbird, thunderclan's greatest hero' sure does sound nice."

"big paws to fill, sure you're up for the challenge?" nightbird questions wryly, tilting her head upwards just in time to catch a small flame dim in his gaze. only starclan knew what was on his mind, as perceptive as she believed she was, the molly could never really tell. but they padded onwards, her legs still stretching to keep in step despite the slowed pace.

black ears swiveled sharply when he spoke next. nightbird chose to ignore his first thought, opting out of dragging the mood even further down into the dirt. "make it up?" a near incredulous chuckle welled in her throat as she halted to shoot him a look. "you barely won this 'dreary date', we've hardly made headway on our stroll, and already you ask for another," she chides teasingly, tail sweeping to hit his flank in a scolding motion. "i never knew you to be so greedy, racconstripe."

nightbird is a small black smoke molly with pale silver eyes. a loner turned thunderclanner, her loyalty and drive to provide for her clan is unwavering. however, she is not known for harboring a bleeding heart, instead equipped with sarcastically fueled wit, brutal honesty, and a sharply edged tongue.
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking ↛ see battle info here

The liquid shrug she offers him placates him, though her words bring a familiar sentiment about. Would he be able to sit and wait while Nightbird and his other Clanmates traversed dangerous lands with the other forest Clans? He has no choice, which frustrates him… but the tabby only shakes his head with a smile. “Patience is a virtue you’ve never really had, huh,” he says, airily, the raven calling the crow black. “ThunderClan’s greatest hero… psh. You won’t catch me greeting you with that, unless…

He grins, his insecurities evaporating like a thin fog in a beam of sunlight. He pounces—just to the forefront of her, where she’d been walking—and faces her with a challenging stare from gleaming dark eyes. “Maybe calling you hero will make you sweeter, hmm?” His tail bristles behind him. “Yes, I think I might be up to fill the heroic paw prints you and Flamewhisker leave behind… but I’ll be expecting some payment for picking up all your chores.

Her assertion that he’s greedy causes him to snort with laughter. “You never knew that, really? I thought we were pals, Nightbird.” He faux-pouts, but it’s momentary. His charisma has been restored, the fears burned away from his mind and body. There’s nothing to fear—this she-cat will return to her Clan, he believes it with the faith he must have to continue on. “I’m always greedy when it comes to you.

The sleazy wink he tosses her way speaks nothing of the feelings spinning within him, a turmoil he could not voice even if he wanted to.

•  
    — penned by Marquette
    — chibi by Rai

much to her disdain, nightbird's suggestion for a nickname comes at a price. a hefty one at that. she stumbles to a halt as racconstripe leaps to block the path in front of her, narrowing her gaze to match the challenge in his own. "you would like that, hm?" she retorts dryly. sweeter, as if.

the tabby requests reimbursement, for his newfound extra workload nonetheless. was throwing her life on the line to save their home not payment enough? "will you be expecting flamewhisker to repay you as well, or is this my burden to carry alone?" it was only fair, they were both leaving behind duties. besides, whatever he had in mind it would certainly be beneficial to have an accomplice through it all.

"apologies, how could i forget." her desultory apology was dismissively tossed alongside her tail as she began to sidestep around him. they had notably stopped strolling on their moonlit stroll. nightbird finds herself to be the one halting, momentarily frozen at his words. "... when it comes to you", he says, eyes narrow at the wink thrown her way. racconstripe enjoyed getting a rise out of her, for whatever demented reason. he was insufferably good at it sometimes too, the thought that her reaction would give him any hint of satisfaction had her eyes rolling.

"you're such an idiot." nightbird didn't want to witness the winning expression that would undoubtedly begin to grow on his face, front paws shooting out quickly to try and sweep his own from beneath him. "what do you gain?" - from making her feel utterly foolish.

• Love
Reactions: RACCOONSTRIPE
◇────────────【☆】【☆】────────────◇

XXXXXHer voice is dryer than sand when she responds. “You would like that, hm?” The tabby chuckles lowly. “I don’t know that I would,” he muses. “I like you feisty, the way you are. Keeps me on my toes.” He winks at her, earning him, no doubt, a scowl in return. She asks if he will expect payment from Flamewhisker and he laughs. “Maybe I should! You can collaborate to bring me prey and build me a nice new nest. I wouldn’t mind.

XXXXXWhen she finally loses her temper, calling him an idiot and lashing out at his paws, he stumbles and just barely catches himself before falling on his face. This does not deter him in the slightest—nor does her question, “What do you gain?” From vexing her, is what he assumes. Raccoonstripe rises, dusting himself off with his dark forepaw. “When I said feisty, I didn’t mean violent,” he fake-complains. “What do you think I gain, hmm? It isn’t what you’d expect, believe it or not.” He looks at her expectantly.

─────────​