A MIND OF STONE [ hunting + rta ]

✵ ღ ☾ IT TOOK ME BY SURPRISE - She was stagnant. Going through the motions.
Or, at least it felt like it. She had established her every day routine, she was “Lakepaw” now, a name carefully picked by her, even if it was bittersweet every time she heard it, Berry’s voice echoing from somewhere deep in her memory.
Today she’s silent on the patrol, naturally taking up one of the places in the front. When someone suggests to fish, something in her subconscious stirs. Anxiety.
❝ If you want to switch the route to the river, I can take up one of the trails along the bank, I’m sure there’s voles basking in the shade there. ❞ Her proposal is monotoned, as if she was staying rather than seeking permission, but her steady gaze fixed on the leader of the patrol betrayed her tone, as she was still awaiting approval. Silently she almost hoped no one would chip in to come along, but her thoughts could be oh so dreary sometimes… perhaps company wouldn’t be the worse thing in the world.
❝ Speech. ❞
THE HATRED IN HER EYES

• Love
Reactions: DogTeeth
It should be sad- that a kid nearly three times younger than he, was as tall as him. That didn’t bother Dogteeth though- actually, not many things did. The curly-furred mutt of a feline was simply happy to tag along with the patrol. His attention laid carefully on the quiet one- silver tabby with a twisted back paw. Heavily scarred for her age-

He’s startled when she finally does speak among the others of the group- offering to take her out hunting path. To which, Dogteeth sidles toward her. " maybe we could make a good team? " he subtly asks, " with you being so tall and me being short, we have all the ground covered " he jokes, eyes glittering impossibly blue but rivaled by lakepaw’s own.

( ᴛᴀɢs. )  ❝  When Hound turns to look at Lakepaw, it's with curiosity like a crowbar. There's nothing delicate in how his attention pries at her walls, looking for layers and weak spots where he might pull her apart an' see what makes her tick. See what's got her down, that's more the truth of it. He's known her through a great many troubles, and it'd be a poor day indeed if there'd be no helping her through another. So the tom squints at her, brazen and clear in his concern despite how much she may press back against it. He's had quite enough of that tired voice of hers, wanting more than anything the vibrancy that'd colored her some short moons ago. Dogteeth takes on a gentler approach– Hound's not so careful. "It'd be as good a chance as any to brush up on land hunting. We might 's'well all learn from it." A subtle encouragement to follow her, and a far-from-subtle you're not going off on your own to mope, young lady to Lake.
border2.png

• 50335651_ibz4tSApItgOjRI.png
    ooc:
  • ──── hound. trans male, he/him pronouns only.
    ──── approximately 30 moons old, or 2.5 years.
    ──── bisexual with firm male preference; single.

──── a chocolate tabby with ( stylized ) low white and intense lime eyes. lean and lanky,  with whiplike musculature and a long, quick stride. hound's notable features include his impressive height, the long scar across the left side of his face from nose to jaw, his very deep, dense fur, and the confident manner with which he conducts himself.
  • "speech"

✵ ღ ☾ IT TOOK ME BY SURPRISE - A mess of beach sand and curls is suddenly at her side, his peculiar blue gaze burning into her own, but his had a friendly glimmer.
Lakepaw parts her maw to reply, but Hound beats her to it, and now her gaze is on him. His silent message heard loud and clear.
She has half a mind to stick her tongue out at the tabby, but the presence of the others keeps her from a childish gesture, instead shooting him a silent, fine, old man. Manifested with a small roll of her sapphire hues.
❝ That’s a great idea. ❞ She hummed in response to both Dogteeth and Hound.
She isn’t surprised that Hound has picked up on her change in demeanor, he knew her better than most. ❝ But don’t be bitter than I catch more prey than you. ❞ She playfully jabbed at Hound, allowing a small side smirk to emerge, giving a flick of her tail before she would begin towards one of the earlier mentioned trails.

❝ Speech. ❞
THE HATRED IN HER EYES

It feels almost sinful to partake in hunting patrols now that he's a medicine cat with a completely different set of duties. But under the guise of searching for herbs, he'd accompanied this patrol. Yes, Beesong had only come to collect herbs... And if he happened to run into a vole or two, would Cicadastar fault him for the extra food? It would be foolish of the chimera leader to do so.

Padding on the outside of the patrol with their good ear positioned towards the others, they would hum in response to Lakepaw's proposal. "Yeah, and plenty of plants, as well," they chime, a verbal acknowledgement that they had not picked up on Lakepaw's desire to be alone. Not that they would care, even if they had... There's safety in numbers, especially when the youth of the clan are involved.

A twitch of his whiskers accompanies the challenge that Lakepaw shoots towards Hound. "Better watch out for that one," Beesong whispers loudly to the brown tabby, shooting him a playful wink. "I think that was a threat."

The connection between Lakepaw and Houndsnarl, was as humorous and endearing as it was quite fascinating. The younger silver tabby was rebellious toward Hound but not in a cruel way- more in a playful way, a back and forth like a parent and child. Something that truly made Dogteeth look between the two with absolutely glittering eyes and an unspoken, aw. They didn’t squabble during duties though, in fact- the jab she took was faint and lighthearted.

Land hunting, Dogteeth was gonna bust his nose again wasn’t he? He had been thinking more on the companionship rather than the act of actually hunting. He swallows a bit audibly now.

Beesong’s chime-in toward Hound allowed another airy laugh to leave Dogteeth’s jaws, replacing the troubled lip-gnawing assault he had taken upon himself.

" I see- Beesong getting to kit-sit us all, Lakepaw catching a vole bigger than her body, Hound maybe- taking down a deer… and me, taking more rocks to the teeth like I did last moon- but we will come back with something for sure " Dogteeth adds his predictions with clear jest. A jab of his own toward Houndsnarl’s size.