camp A NEW RIVER [ pride + a bird ]

() there's a giddiness in the tapping footsteps of the apprentice as he makes his way into camp, parting the reeds with his snout. clutched in his pearly fangs, a bird of shining blue-green and dark brown feathers hangs, pale belly exposed to the sun, head hanging limply from its broken neck. bright sunlit eyes peer around the bustling camp, which is lit with a slowly setting sun. they fix upon a pale figure in the distance, and with a dismissal from his mentor, pebblepaw is off. weaving his way between galloping kits and exhausted apprentices, the boy reaches his destination with a grin on his face. "mahm!" he purrs, voice slightly muffled by the bird still held in his jaws. "i cauft my firtht birhd!"

excitement swims in his gaze as he places the creature at lichenstar's paws. "i uhm, i know you like birds, so i want you to have this, if you want it." the white-frothed tail waves back and forth. "it was so hard to catch, but i remembered what you said about stalking them, and foxtail helped point it out, and i got it!" he doesn't mention his sore muscles from a hard fall while leaping to grab the duck, nor the bruise forming beneath his skin where the thing had pecked at him, nor unseemly sight of his bird-hunting crouch. what matters is he got it, and it's his mom's favorite. gnawing on his bottom lip for a minute, the boy shuffles his paws, hoping his leader and mother approves.

• // for @lichenstar but no need to wait for her response! the bird is a duck <3 " #848DAE"
  • 84189003_LZ0oLRva90zRWKW.png

• PEBBLEPAW ☼ HE / HIM, APPRENTICE OF RIVERCLAN. MENTORED BY FOXTAIL. 8 MOONS OLD, PENNED BY LAVS
    80821802_PGjjmLPeTFx5Nwd.png
    a large blue tabby with low white and vitiligo. pale blue fur covers the length of pebblepaw's stocky body, sliced through with darker tabby stripes and spots. baleful orange eyes peer out of heavy set sockets, and his muzzle, paws, and tail tip are dashed with white.

It was... really heartening, to see this. To witness a son giving his first bird catch to his mother, the pride of their clan and her kit. Claythorn's ears perked from where she lounged in camp- stuck, mind you- and glanced over to the commotion of a patrol returning. Brief is her wonder upon what it would have been like to have an apprentice instead of a belly full of kits, but that thought was pushed aside before she could worry upon it.

Eyes shifted towards the duck, studying the kill. It wasn't necessarily clean, but for his first? It was quite a large bird, and it would likely feed around two warriors and an apprentice. Eyes shifted to find Foxtail in the crowd, and her head nodded in approval, in acknowledgement of his apprentice's skills growing- and her head tilted similarly towards Pebblepaw, unsure if the apprentice could even see her, and put a tiny smile on her face in recognition of the progress.
  • "speech"
  • CLAYTHORN she/her, warrior of riverclan, fifteen moons.
    LH chocolate torbie with mismatched golden eyes, scars across her right cheek and over her left ear. cold exterior and threatening glares, built for stamina/battle and not swimming (tall/muscled)
    mentored by darkbranch (npc) / / mentoring no one
    mated to otterbite / / only child
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by dallas ↛ dallasofnines on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

"Pebblepaw!"

The triumphant tom might hope to tiptoe around any obstacles in his way, but instead of scattering like a flock of startled birds, Eveningpaw merely spins on her heels and joins him in his mission. His catch of the day hobbles within his grasp — the perfect opportunity for her to follow after him and talk his ears off about it all.

A long, flat beak speaks of Pebblepaw's feat; birds are not often found on the fresh-kill pile, and these ones feel ever rarer to Eveningpaw. Even in its still form, the creature gives off a fighter impression... or perhaps she is simply too overcome by pride towards her brother to let logic dictate her thoughts any longer. "That's such a great catch! You gotta show me how you did it when we're out again." Eveningpaw all but bounces into Pebblepaw's side, the boy no doubt used to her physical antics by now. She turns to Lichenstar then, eager to hear their verdict. "Mom, it's taste test time."

lichenstar-6-24-hs-png.1872

✦˚.✦˚✦˚✦˚ ✧ ˚✦˚✦˚✦.˚✦
  • The muffled call of a voice that grows more gravelly and older by the day is always enough to summon up her attention. The initial jolt is always that of fear- in inescapable, trapped bird between her ribs that flutters against the cage but when she turns to find Pebblepaw trudging across camp with his legs wide and waddling over a duck, the anxiety subsides quickly. It's replaced by laughter- "That... is about as big... as you are," she muses, reaching to press her nose to his cheek in greeting. Eveningpaw practically leaps at the chance to join the celebration of her big brother's first bird, affixing a sunrise stare on her mother in impatient excitement.

There are no small amount of feathers worth harvesting off such a big bounty... and their feathers are especially grand for wicking away the water from a soggy nest. "I'll take... a bite... but you should share... with your den-mates." It wasn't often a duck was caught successfully and it is something of a tasty treat that she's sure even the most unyielding fish lover might enjoy. "We'll save... some of the feathers... as a trophy," she decides, looking at the iridescent flight feathers with eager eyes.

"Claythorn," the molly chirps, eyeing the round, lounging queen, "Want a bite...? Or are you... too round to walk... these days?" It's mostly a jest but... there had been several times Hazecloud had asked for help reaching the lower spots on her back for grooming towards the later stages of her pregnancy. It wouldn't surprise her if getting up and down proved complicated at times too.
  • about

speech hex code ✧ #6368A5

ooc notes ✦
    tagging ✶
    penned by tieirlys

• ˚  ★⋆. ࿐࿔  ✦   .  .   ˚ .      . ✦     ˚     .

.     ˚     *     ✦   .  .   ✦ ˚      ˚ .˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .   ✦   .  .   ˚       ੈ✧˳·˖✶ ✦  ˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ ★⋆. ࿐࿔

.     ˚     *     ✦   .  .   ✦ ˚      ˚ .˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .             ✦