backwritten all this time i wasted | leafhusk

tigerwing

oh look, a squirrel!
Jul 15, 2023

the chocolate chimera would return from a patrol, her form carrying that of a red and black bird she almost let slip away. a shiver ran through her, before shaking it off, green eyes bright and cheerful. her gaze travelled to a lead warrior, her gaze suddenly dropping back to the bird she had set down. a pluck of a clean untouched wing feather that was pulled easily from its body.

Tigerwing had never actually thanked leafhusk, has she? the feeling of guilt tugged at her belly, but she would ignore it. now was better than never, right? with the feather lightly in between her teeth, she greeted the lead with a trill of a purr, her head helf high, before setting it down carefully. "Leafhusk! I- I wanted to thank you, formally, for helping me back then-" Why were words suddenly so weird? "I mean- you helped me a lot, in regaining my health, and everything. and i wanted you to know i really appreciate everything you did! This feathers for you," she finally announced, green eyes bright.

//SORRY IT SUCKS - this is a day or two after she gets out the meddie den! @leafhusk

leafhusk remembers when the faux tortoiseshell originally disappeared, and the search patrols that followed after. to lose someone so close to graduation immediately after the wolf pack… it hurt, because the loss was supposed to end. then it was ploverhop, morningcloud, pebblestep. she gave up hope on the missing girl, and for that she is sorry. the former kittypet always had a soft spot for the ones who showed up with nothing.

her attention turns to tigerwing, greeting the young warrior with a smile. as she listens to her stumble over her words, the smile grows into a cheerful laugh. golden eyes twinkle down at the feather, placing a paw on it to pull it closer. "there’s no need to thank me… and i am happy that i helped you recover. you're a great warrior, and i’m glad to see you finally earn a ceremony. batwing would’ve been proud of your resilience, your loyalty to thunderclan." an awkward surge of embarrassment twists in her belly. barely a season after her promotion, and she was pushed into a difficult task of caring for her clanmates. it took her awhile to understand what howlingstar first saw in someone like her.

"thank you for the gift. it’s lovely! such pretty reds... i think i’ll tuck it into my nest…" she hums in thought, admittedly worried it’d fall off if she tucked it into her tail.

• Love
Reactions: Deidre