pafp CINDER AND FUME [judging]

HOPEPAW

strike, little wolf, strike
Apr 3, 2024
⊱⊰ The day is beginning to wind down, with warriors and apprentices returning from their final hunting patrols before the sun sets. Through the gaps of the trees, the sky appears boldly orange and red, and Hopekit has to forcibly drag his eyes away from the mesmerizing sight. As he does so, he catches sight of something… noteworthy. Something that he just has to share with his brother, who happens to be settled right beside him.

Leaning in close to his darker-furred companion, the kit can make his thoughts known without risking a tongue-lashing from cats such as Dawnglare—or worse, their adoptive mother. Roeflame would probably scold them for showing anything but happiness toward their clanmates, but that’s why Hopekit whispers instead of saying anything too loud.

"Did you see that?" He asks in a hushed voice that only his brother can hear, and raises a paw to point in the direction of one of their clanmates. The warrior in question places a bird on the very top of the prey pile rather than beside it. He’s nitpicking, of course. But even more so, he’s left wondering whether the pile will even remain standing after such a sloppy job. It looks a lot like it’s going to fall, at least in his eyes. How careless. "That warrior’s gonna knock down the whole freshkill pile," he scoffs under his breath, tail lashing with irritation. It’s something that he and Coalkit, as kits, shouldn’t have to worry about—but they eat from that pile, too! What if Hopekit doesn’t want dirt and stuff all over his dinner? Or what if he wants a feather, but can’t reach high enough to snatch a bird off the pile?

• ooc: @COALKIT
  • 81309324_2wmLWzBSS6UkcAG.png
    HOPEKIT ❯❯ he/him, thunderclan kit
    skinny, thick-furred lilac tom with deep copper eyes. soft-spoken and sleepy, but can be a bit of a grouch.
    son of batwing and leopardtongue ; brother to bravepaw, hazepaw, cardinalpaw, coalkit
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted
    penned by foxlore

BUT I'M JUST SO OUT OF MY DEPTH — Although he loved his home - had loved Thunderclan since the very moment he became aware of what it was - Coalkit was painfully aware of the fact that the list of cats he enoyed being around was small. Far tinier than that of many other kits within the clan, with the possible exception of his brother, Hopekit. Though even that wasn't assured, considering the lilac tom was definitely the more tolerant of the two of them. Even so, Hopekit was at the top of that extremely limited list, and likely would be until the both of them were far in the ground. Or at least that was what Coalkit liked to believe.

That was why the weighty black smoke had no trouble tucking himself into a neat loaf alongside his littermate, close enough that their pelts were brushing as he lowered his chin to the ground. For a short while, he was content with merely watching the sun blazing on the horizon, its slow descent to slink beneath the trees seemingly having caught the attention of Hopekit as well. Until his brother leaned in close, speaking in that hushed tone that immediately grabbed Coalkit's attention. His forest green gaze snapped over to the prey pile, nose wrinkling as he took notice of the exact same thing as his companion. "You'd think a warrior would have enough experience to see the mistake they were making. I don't want to have a bunch of dust all over my dinner..." He had half a mind to go over and scold the warrior himself, though he knew such a sight would be laughable. A kit like him, scolding a fully grown warrior?

There wasn't anything preventing him from judging a fully grown warrior, though. A soft scoff left him as he flopped onto his side, voice raising just a bit so that he could still be heard by his brother even as they grew farther apart. "When I'm a warrior, I won't be nearly so careless. I'll be respected by everyone, even the ones that hate me." And he was sure there would be some that would, either out of jealousy or sheer spite over his attitude. His tail flicked lightly against Hopekit's side, another rare grin flashing on his muzzle. "We both won't be so careless. I know it." Thunderclan would be proud of them, and they'd never have kits gossiping about them as warriors.

• 81641257_cc6OVDHQigHNM4a.png
    shorthaired black smoke with forest green eyes
    amab; goes by he/him pronouns
    4 moons old; ages the 5th every month
    homosexual; not yet interested in romance
    son of leopardtongue and batwing
    brother to bravepaw, cougarpaw, hazepaw, foxpaw, and hopekit
    extremely difficult to befriend; cold and blunt
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    peaceful powerplay allowed
    all opinions are ic

-ˋˏ ༻ ☀ ༺ ˎˊ-
dd766ql-e8b06172-29d0-498a-b782-e139a0acd9eb.gif
While Roeflame adored all five of her children’s sweet faces, the brassy queen was under no illusion that they were angels. That was fine with her, though. Their individuality was interesting, even if a handful at times, they were the lead warriors little warriors in the making, and critical thinking skills were an essential part of properly serving your clan, at least that’s what the tabby molly tells herself as she inconspicuously inches near her son's conversation. The context is scarce, but Coalkit’s slightly more vocal reply clicks everything important into place for Roeflame. For the few moments she had before the duo would realize her presence behind them, she weighs the correct way to approach the situation- gossiping about a warrior was unruly, but they had to learn such criticism from somewhere. Maybe her idle chatter with Flamewhisker had been caught by the wrong ears, did gossipy queens create equally gossipy kits? The thought is ironic, in a way. At the very least, Hopekit wasn’t vocalizing his criticism straight to the warriors face this time, they had the decency to be discreet. Lowering herself to a crouch, she’d finally join her two sons conversation at their level, a slight tinge of mischief in her grin as she whispers, “hey what’re we talkin’ about?”

• ROEFLAME she/her, Lead Warrior of Thunderclan, twenty-two moons.
    petite cinnamon silver ticked tabby with murky green eyes & a small scar over her left eye.
    mate to Burnstorm ☀ mentor to Foxpaw
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted ☀ underline and tag when attacking
    penned by Noor@toyangel on discord, feel free to dm for plots.