pafp fall from your throne ☾ ThunderClan Altercation

Mercifully, Howlingstar makes an appearance next, calm and wise in the face of her warriors’ eagerness to defend their honor. Blazestar dips his head to her gratefully, though shame burns beneath his fur. He cannot fault any of the ThunderClan cats for their ire toward SkyClan—the border had been crossed frivolously multiple times at this point, and he knows what it looks like, what Badgerstrike, Moonpaw, and Wildheart are all implying. “Your cats are not Clan cats, because they do not respect our ways.” He gives Yukio a rueful glance, most of the anger in his navy-blue gaze replaced with something unreadable. “I understand your concerns, Howlingstar. I have been careless with ensuring cats new to SkyClan understand our ways. I will ensure it does not happen again. No cat will be permitted to leave camp without having a firm understanding of our warrior code.

He means it, and he hopes this is resolved and he can ask Slate and Johnnyflame to drag the trembling queen back to camp. He must have a conversation with his council, and then with his Clanmates… he will not have trouble with ThunderClan, no matter how insistent his careless kittypet joiners have been on making it happen.

Blazestar is just about to leave when Moonpaw spits what he believes to be a final insult about kittypets. He hardly notices the comment, and from his daughter who lives with her forest-born kin, it does not sting especially, but he can see the wrath stoked in Howlfire’s hazel eyes, can see the fur rippling across her pelt. Before he knows what to say to assuage her anger, Howlfire is nose to nose with Moonpaw, her words taunting but full of an unsavory truth. You’re just as much a kittypet as I am.

And Moonpaw’s response… Blazestar’s eyes widen, and he wishes desperately Yukio had not forced him into this situation with his carelessness. Moonpaw looks him dead in the eyes and retorts, “You are not my sister, because Blazestar is not my father.” Despair chokes him—and he has to sink his claws into the turf to prevent himself from falling over. And what can he say? What sort of a father has he been to Moonpaw and Burnstorm, besides a father in name only? Skypaw’s presence is further proof of the failure he’s been to his children.

He looks miserably at the cat his timid, meek little kitten has become, but he does not rebuke her, even as Howlfire passionately defends him and herself. “No, Howlfire,” he says, his voice lowered and heavy with grief. “Don’t—” and she brings Skypaw and Duskpaw into it, not knowing—not knowing the truth, the truth that they are products of broken hearts unable to say goodbye—and he deflates as he watches her spin around and stalk away from the border.

I think we’re finished here.” He sounds defeated—and he is. “Slate, Johnnyflame, ensure he gets to the nursery. When you are finished, please get Twitchbolt, Silversmoke, and Orangeblossom and meet me in my den.” He turns flat blue eyes to the cat who’d caused this—who’d allowed Moonpaw the opportunity to disown him at his own border. “Yukio, if you leave again, it will be for the last time. We will discuss this incident later. For now, go to your nest.

He starts away, but he looks at Moonpaw—and then at Skypaw—and then at Howlingstar. “Goodbye, Howlingstar.” His voice is raw with sorrow, though he will not expose his heart to ThunderClan anymore.

// out!

•  
  • blaise . blazestar
    — he/him ; leader of skyclan
    — pansexual ; divorced ; single
    — longhaired flame point Ragdoll with blue eyes
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — penned by Marquette
    — chibi by Mercibun

Blazestar's reply is respectable, enough to diffuse the building frustration in the tabby. She gives him a nod, and in a neutral tone, trills, "I trust that you will." And she wishes she could end it there, that both sides would depart peacefully and continue on with their days. Perhaps she'd even get the chance to give her granddaughter on the other side a smile, a few words, but before she realizes what is happening, words of venom fly across the border - between both of her kin. She stares in wide-eyed astonishment at what they say, unable to keep up before the words become too much to bear. "Moonpaw! Howlfire!" She scolds sharply, pelt bristling. In this moment, she is not the ThunderClan leader, but the girls' grandmother, chiding them for such remarks. How in StarClan could sisters speak to each other like that? How could Moonpaw say such awful things in front of her father, and how could Howlfire say those terrible words to her younger brother?

One look at Blazestar's face, and she knows Moonpaw's words have cut him deep. She sighs, mews a quick, "I'm sorry, Blazestar. Take care." When she whirls around, she gives all of the cats on her side of the border a sharp look. "All of you - back to camp. Now." The calmness has seeped out of her voice. She touches Skypaw with her tail in an attempt to comfort, glancing down at him. "Ignore what she said. She was angry." But how can she make excuses for a SkyClanner, even if she is her kin? Skypaw is a true-born ThunderClanner despite her knowledge of his half-clan blood. She should defend him, not Howlfire's cruel words. "You can have the rest of the day off. Go share a meal with your mother, okay?" She mews in a gentler tone, giving her grandson a lick on top of his head before turning sharper eyes onto the rest of her clanmates, who are hopefully already turning tail back to camp.

Reactions: Thorny