camp HEART MADE OF CELLOPHANE [ sickness/decision ]

claythorn

AIN'T A DROP OF BAD BLOOD
Jan 7, 2024

small tw for emetaphobia in this thread )

Her head spun as she straightened back up from where she had lost her dinner from last night. Another meal, lost in the reeds not far from camp. The sun was just breaking over camp, the warmth sure to follow- another thing that had made her more then uncomfortable. She had shrunk away from Otterbite in favor of trying to stay cool, and felt deep guilt over it. She hadn't been able to keep any hard-caught meals down consistently, and with Moonbeam's confirmation a half-moon ago... Claythorn couldn't deny it any longer.

As she moved back into camp, her paws feeling heavier then ever, half-narrowed golden eyes stared into the warrior's den. Her nest had been pushed against Otterbite's and half combined some time ago, and there wasn't much to take from the warrior's den. Perhaps she should make good and tell him early, but he was likely out on dawn patrol already. She shifted, moving towards the shadows of camp, desperate to be out from underneath the sun's rays. Ears twitched briefly as cats began to move around camp.

Claythorn rested there for some time, her round belly restricting any thoughts of movements. It wasn't until somecat approached her, likely to ask for help, that her vision did flick up. Ears twitched and turned backwards- if any request was made of her, Claythorn shook her head, which was heavily unlike her. Claythorn would do as asked- almost like a well trained dog. Normally, anyways. These days, the rounder her belly grew? She couldn't bear it. Even the thought of trying to go diving for rocks right now was a bit too much of an ask.

"I need to... I need to move into the nursery." Claythorn swallowed as she spoke, vision adverting from whoever had approached. Now that it was spoke to open air, it wasn't just teasing from Driftwood, or the other queens near the medicine den hearing it? It was sealed fate. Camp would know. She'd lose Otterbite at her flank at night, the only time they seemed to come into great contact. "... Was waitin' for the kits to get up." She nearly mumbled. At least, she was being considerate there, not waking the kits before packing herself into the nursery as well.
  • "speech"
  • 4X9gAED.png
  • CLAYTHORN she/her, warrior of riverclan, fifteen moons.
    LH chocolate torbie with mismatched golden eyes, scars across her right cheek and over her left ear. cold exterior and threatening glares, built for stamina/battle and not swimming (tall/muscled)
    mentored by darkbranch (npc) / / mentoring no one
    mated to otterbite / / only child
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by dallas ↛ dallasofnines on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- Claythorn had made herself difficult company to keep the longer this went on. At first the tom had been elated at the discovery that they were to continue on a legacy. A story entwined from two strong warriors supplying the Clan with new opportunity, fresh forces that would one day see the warriors den and bare their teeth and shred pelts for the sake of their Clan.

But now she had began to grow weary to be around. Sharing a meal with her was a waste when it wouldn't stay down for the night. Patrols dragged on with her struggling to keep up, or once again her nausea interrupting their path. More than ever now he wished she had found a nest in the nursery the day Moonbeam had confirmed her thoughts.

He had rushed to join his dawn patrol as soon as the sun had broken over the horizon, not bothering to even wake Jaggedpaw if his apprentice wasn't already awake to leave. He had been notably growing more absent from his mates side as time went on, as symptoms persisted, without any shame. He had thought to avoid camp altogether today in fact, pulling Jaggedpaw aside to the beech copse for extra training, but the lead insisted the group get their fill of prey before continuing to the rest of the days patrols.

Otterbite's gaze met with Claythorn's form the moment his paws broke through the reeds, and he held back a sigh as he came closer. Another meal to throw away? "You are?" He sounded more interested than he wanted to.

"That's... good. You should avoid straining yourself as much as possible. I'll see to it that Jaggedpaw makes your nest and fetches your prey." Thank the stars for the lowly worm, he wouldn't have to do it himself.

• OTTERBITE he/him, warrior of riverclan, fifteen moons.
    scruffy blue/black chimera with a white tail-tip and green eyes. noticeable kinked whiskers
    adopted son to pikesplash // former apprentice to coyotecreek
    peaceful and healing powerplay requires permission / / underline and tag when attacking or making an action toward
    see battle info here
    penned by beataegonkpilled on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

Otterbite and Claythorn's relationship seems to be one of duty, rather than affection, but Iciclefang does not have it in her to judge the young cats. Kits were an important addition to RiverClan, and both were strong warriors — even if the presumed sire did have a biting, serrated edge to his tongue. The tortoiseshell watches their interaction with a musing expression. "I need to... I need to move into the nursery," the mottled she-cat says, and her dark-furred mate's interest is sharp, saying he'll ask his apprentice to make her a nest and fetch her some prey.

"Are you too busy to do it yourself, Otterbite?" Her blue eyes narrow, but she smiles to take the sting from her words. She hadn't had a mate to bring her fresh-kill, but she has long buried the sting of those wounds. "I imagine you'll want to spend time with Claythorn before the kits come."

It's a teasing challenge, but a challenge nonetheless.

She twitches her ears in the new queen's direction. "Lucky for you, the nursery is about to be much emptier," Iciclefang murmurs. "There'll be plenty of room to get comfortable after the ceremony."

• ooc:
  • DEuJTnr.jpg
  • Iciclekit . Iciclepaw . Iciclefang, she/her w/ feminine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 26 moons old, ages realistically on the 17th.
    — mentored by Smokestar ; mentoring Pinepaw ; previously mentored Cicadaflight
    — riverclan lead warrior. mudpelt x icesparkle, gen 2.
    — former mate to Stormywing ; current mate to no one.
    — penned by Marquette.

sh tortoiseshell and white she-cat with ice-blue eyes. confident, capable, proud, dry, conceited, condescending, distrustful.

Ferngill had not yet any kits of his own, but he didn't imagine Sablemist was company he would ever tire of, even if she was in the throes of nausea. Claythorn was up and down quite a lot, and Ferngill always assumed Otterbite would get up to check on her- only to be proved wrong, most of the time. It worried him, the way there appeared to be a strained atmosphere between them... but it wasn't much of his business, really. All he could do was make a silent vow not to act the same way.

His ear flicked toward the nearby conversation- Claythorn's voice was hoarse and tired-sounding. Moving into the nursery probably would be the best choice, if she was this tired and nauseous all the time.

He cast a glance toward Otterbite after Iciclefang spoke, but said nothing more on the matter, instead casting a green eye to Claythorn. It certainly would be roomier in there soon- the reminder that Cragkit, Pinekit, Crabkit, Snowkit and Graykit were all about to be apprentices made his stomach lurch a little bit. As ever, he opted to cast a brighter spark into the conversation. "It won't be so bad, Claythorn. You'll hear a lot of gossip, and I'll stop by often to hear it." And maybe to bring her prey too, if Otterbite isn't keen on it...
penned by pin

There had been a bitter feeling everytime she got sick- the way she saw Otterbite's eyes twitch in displeasure. She would have been a love-sick fool to not notice, and Claythorn could never imagine being that so swept under the rug over Otterbite that she couldn't notice. Knowing this? Claythorn had a small indication on how Otterbite felt about all of this. She wasn't strong, or level-headed anymore. A bitterly sick and overwhelmed to be queen. Isn't that what they wanted, though?

Her ears perked gently, turning to peer at him as he approached. And her chin tilted forward gently, knowing that someone would have to take care of her from now on- it was no longer her. Her independence was waning, and it was an awful feeling. Mismatched goldens opened her muzzle to speak, when Iciclefang stepped in for her. Why did it feel like an acid sting of relief, to know that someone had her shoulder there? That all Claythorn wanted was some moments with her mate before being relinquished to the nursery, alone? Alone. That thought rung out for a long moment.

The attention from the other she-cat gave her a tiny smile, but it was gone quickly, waning from serious optics. "Plenty of room. I presume it's... easier to breathe there then in the warrior's den." She finally spoke, beyond the revelation she had laid publicly before camp. Ferngill's approach has her ears perking, perhaps with a bit of surprise. Claythorn didn't know they were... close enough to be visited.

She dipped her head gently, if for nothing else but the small licks embarrassment the flamed at her ear-tips. "Never been the gossiping kind." She admitted, her tail twitching.
  • "speech"
  • CLAYTHORN she/her, warrior of riverclan, fifteen moons.
    LH chocolate torbie with mismatched golden eyes, scars across her right cheek and over her left ear. cold exterior and threatening glares, built for stamina/battle and not swimming (tall/muscled)
    mentored by darkbranch (npc) / / mentoring no one
    mated to otterbite / / only child
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by dallas ↛ dallasofnines on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- Iciclefang's voice has him straighten, ears folding back as her intention was clear. Testing Otterbite's machinations with how he would act now with Claythorn remaining a more longterm position in camp.

"My abilities to provide for Claythorn will be far more useful. She'll be assured every meal set in front of her is from me." And that should be enough. What use would company make if she felt hunger? Or stars forbid, whatever number of spawn she had found themselves wanting for food? He had better use of his time than coddling and cooing- he was not a queen, and he did not bother to imagine his mate would want any more than what he offered.

Otterbite's lip twitched in subtle distaste at Ferngill's approach, his words wrapped in a blanket of warmth, as though her place in the nursery needed any comfort. As if she needed his. "You must not know her well." The chimera quietly scoffed as made a show to settle closer to Claythorn, resting his chin between her ears while she rest on her belly.

"Claythorn will be a fine queen, I have no doubt our kits will be perfectly healthy and strong given their kin." The chocolate molly was no opponent to underestimate in a fight, and neither himself for that matter. They would be born of blood and salt, for RiverClan.

• OTTERBITE he/him, warrior of riverclan, fifteen moons.
    scruffy blue/black chimera with a white tail-tip and green eyes. noticeable kinked whiskers
    adopted son to pikesplash // former apprentice to coyotecreek
    peaceful and healing powerplay requires permission / / underline and tag when attacking or making an action toward
    see battle info here
    penned by beataegonkpilled on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

”Ah, then I shall be the one to indulge Ferngill in the latest gossip when I return to the nursery in a half moon or so,” Robinheart trills with a subtle smile, her uneven gait drawing her close to the small group. She aims to lightly flick the ginger tom’s flank with her tail - a comforting don’t let his bite get to you motion for her friend. Otterbite was aptly named however he should learn to watch his tongue in the presence of his superiors… at least in her option. Or perhaps that was him holding his tongue? If so she shudders to think about what he could have said to the good natured lead warrior.

“I am glad you’ll be moving into the nursery, Claythorn. I was afraid I was going to get lonely in there.” The tortoiseshell queen’s gentle gaze has shifted to the chocolate molly, hues of golds intermingled in refiners fire. Claythorn may not be a close friend yet, but Robinheart does cherish her presence. The soon to be new mother had been present for quite a number of Robinheart’s children’s milestones after all. That was a sure fire way to win over a mother’s heart. “It’s an adjustment for sure. Took me a long time to get used to having everything provided for me… didn’t entirely realize it was Brookstorm leaving meals for me until near the end of my pregnancy,” though that was due to her own mate’s inner turmoil over their temporary break up. “I have no doubts you’ll receive the very best from Otterbite. And you’ll have me for company if you’re ever in need of advice or a listening ear.” Just as Hazecloud, Swiftfire, and Iciclefang had been there for me.
[ penned by kerms ]