camp I choose you || o. Making a declaration

Lakepaw.

Lookin' in the mirror I don't know my face
May 6, 2023
Tagging @sheepkit @Frightkit @RATTLEHEART , feel free to respond before them! ))

[ ༻ ❊ ༺ ] Lakekit knew soon that apprenticeship would soon be upon him, and with that comes the thought of not knowing who his mentor would be. There were, of course many options and yet one of the warriors he liked the most was, well Rattleheart and if he wanted anyone to be his mentor? It was them. Of course, he did not understand fully how moor runners or tunnelers were like, or that Lakekit would be considered too big for a life as a tunneler like Rattleheart who fit in the schemes of it and of course the smaller kits who he tend to watch over at times.

Standing by the nursery the kit scanned, awaiting patiently for Rattleheart to return. Covered in the earth's soil, muck, and so forth while the wet soil smell clung to the tunnelers furs, a scent Lakekit did not fare to like much as it reminded him too much of the taste of the mouse. Yet, with the sighting of the lead warrior he was quick to jump on his paws and begin making his way to the older tom, keeping a watchful eye for any other kits. He knew he wasn't the only one with a fondness for Rattleheart yet he wanted to make his declaration first because, thats how it works...right?

He stopped in front of the lead warrior before looking up at them, a cool look on his face and then the words easily slipped like a summer breeze from his lips. "I want you as my mentor. I decided that" it was placed so simply, Lakekit dared not bat an eye, but he felt a triumph ring sing in his heart. He claimed Rattleheart first, none of the other kits could have them as his mentor now! Right...? Not taking in the realizing fact that Lakekit was not meant to be a tunneler, his lanky figure a bit bigger than some of his other denmates, and lanky legs not meant for that of the earthy soil below him.

• "speak""Thoughts"
  • Lakekit AMAB, He/Him, Kit of Windclan, 3 moons.
    LH Rosette Lynx Minx with low white and bi-color eyes, blind in left eye
    NPC X NPC
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted (ask first) / / underline and tag when attacking
    see battle info here
    penned by Ryn@/Rynnaro on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

Last edited:
The duties of mentorship are not wholly beyond him. He had helped Sootstar for many moons, and observed Badgermoon before even that. Though it was incessantly strange to him, that one cat was to mentor a youth until they were deemed old enough, time had gotten him accustomed to the thought. And it is a good thing that he had not realized his own newfound power to change it completely. (Perhaps some corner of his mind still fears for his place here; for the rogue he had once been. Would they see him as nothing more again, if he stopped being a warrior first?) The core of him, the primal center of his being, was a cat who has lived many lives, and been many things. It is made of youth's pride and aging wisdom. And the agony of fatherhood in all of its biting uncertainty.

The kits of this clan amuse him in this way. He looks upon Lakekit from a distance, noting the course of his paws. A direct beeline towards Rattleheart — and a boldness of speech that has the burnished tom's brow raising. Already his broad size was promised. For so long, WindClan had named their apprentices at this one's age. Sunstar knows what to look for in their paws, the breadth of their shoulders. Lakekit would not be a tunneler. Nor could Rattleheart mentor them all. For now, however, he will not intervene. The warrior looks expectantly upon his lead, amusement faint in seaglass eyes.
EpC61GT.png

• OOC.
  • sun_icon_new2.png
    SUNSTAR. LEADER OF WINDCLAN.  
    ——– HE – HIM – HIS ╱╱ 48+ MOONS OLD, ADULT.
    NPC x NPC, MOUNTAIN CATS. MATE TO WOLFSONG; FATHER TO BEARPAW, SINGEDPAW, RIVEPAW, SUNLITPAW AND FEATHERPAW. MENTORING RIVEPAW.

TH ╱╱ A LARGE, FRESHLY SCARRED CHOCOLATE AND WHITE ROSETTE TABBY TOM WITH SEAGLASS BLUE EYES

*+:。.。 Mentorship wasn't really something Frightkit needed to concern herself with being still a very young two moons old. Apprenticehood and warriorhood were certainly phases in her life she wasn't opposed to, but she enjoyed her cushy kitten life with her mom and siblings, so she was in no rush to leave nor was she motivated to fantasize about her apprentice life just yet. Mostly because she was still waiting for her 'Appa to return, wherever they went!
But when she overheard Lakekit's declaration - spoken so audaciously right in front of the nursery! - well, she just had to share her own bit of two scents. "You can't have her, she's gonna be MY mentor" Frightkit would immediately mew, her tone matter-of-fact, if not rather surprised. Lakekit may as well have tried to claim the sky was green! "She's my pair of legs, we're gonna be frightheart together, so she's already my mentor" she explains, padding over with an almost pitying smile, as though explaining 2+2 to a child (as if Fry isn't literally as young as they get).
"Huh, Rattleheart? You're gonna be my mentor, right?" she smiles up at the tunneler, pale blue, almost white eyes so wide and innocent - how could Rattleheart possibly say no?!

• " Speech "
    GENERAL:
    Frightkit
    DFAB— She/Her — Unsure
    2 moons — Ages 1 moon every month real-time
    Windclan Kit
    Sister to Deathkit, Witherkit, Grasskit, Whitekit and Midnightkit

COMBAT:
    Physically very easy | mentally very easy
    Attack in bold #1b1e21
    injuries: None

• Wow
Reactions: Lakepaw.
AS HE RAISED HIS FIST BEFORE HE SPOKE — Mentorship was a complicated subjected for Rattleheart - ironic, considering how many kits seemed eager to follow along at her paws. Peonypaw - Peonybreeze, she still had to remind herself - lingered on her mind often, reminding her of her past failures as a mentor. Though her clanmates had continually tried to tell her that Peonybreeze turning away from her wasn't because of her in particular, such a reality was hard for the lead warrior to accept. Perhaps he would still be here if she had just trained him more carefully, or warned him away from Sootstar more extensively, even with the risk with it would have posed to her life. The lead had practically convinced herself that the loss of Peonybreeze was due to her own cowardice, a fact that made her put even more time and attention into her new apprentice, Downypaw.

Not to mention it felt like she had even more work to do with them, if only because of the influence that Sootspot had already had on them.

Shaking little clumps of dirt from her pelt as she walked into camp, the tunneler hadn't been expecting Lakekit to come scampering over to her, seemingly trying to reach her before any of his peers noticed. I want you as my mentor. I decided that. His words caused Rattleheart to freeze, staring down at the lanky kit for a moment before a smile split her muzzle. "Hello there, little one. As much as I would like for you to be my apprentice, that's not quite my choice... or yours, much more like Starclan's." She gestured a paw towards Lakekit's rapidly growing form, ultimately looking between both him and the silent presence of Sunstar nearby. "I think you're going to end up a moor runner like Sunstar over there, you might be a bit too big for the tunnels. And I'm really not much of a moor runner." Though it seemed she wasn't going to worm her way out of this one easily, the high pitched protests of Frightkit grabbing her attention next.

Frightkit was not as easily dismissed, the kit's fluff making up the majority of the space that she took up. It wouldn't be difficult for her to fit down into the tunnels as is, not unless she suddenly ended up experiencing a growth spurt in the next few moons. Still, Rattleheart knew better than to make any promises so far in advanced - assuming Sunstar would even give her another apprentice alongside Downypaw. "Well... I don't quite know yet. It'll still be a while before you're an apprentice, and I don't want to promise if you end up changing your mind. You might figure out a cat you'd like to be your mentor even more than me!" She prayed that the pair of kittens would listen to her, if only out of worry over disappointing either of them. The last thing she wanted was for them to end up upset, especially when there were plenty of other fine warriors to mentor them.

• 75034712_8183RsjuzqJmQXv.png
    longhaired black and white tom with pale green eyes
    48 moons old; ages the 1st every month
    afab; uses he/she/they pronouns
    homosexual homoromantic; mated to venomstrike
    sibling to scorchstreak, lizardbounce, and rabbitclaw
    currently mentoring downypaw
    somewhat difficult to befriend; wary but kind
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    peaceful powerplay allowed
    all opinions are ic

Mentorship isn't really on his mind all that much, he's a kit why does he have to think about growing up? Apprenitcehood to Warriorhood is a odd concept to the long-legged black smoke. Currently he's laying on his back, white stomach towards the sky as he listens to the conversation going on next to him. He angles a dark ear, hearing Lakekit declare Rattleheart his mentor?! He's in no rush to leave the nursery yet, nor has the motivation to become an apprentice. But either way, he flips himself over onto his side and up onto his paws, he toddles forward towards the small gaggle of clanmates

Inky tail waving across the ground behind him, as he lets a pout show on his face. He pushes against Lakekit, not hard to push the other over but enough to get across how he's mildy mad at the other kitten's announcement. He lets out a huff, as he listens to his denmate Frightkit speak up on how Rattleheart is gonna be her mentor. WHAT!? The black smoke lets his mouth fall open, before clicking it shut. He plops himself on the ground next to Frightkit, kitten face looking up at the familiar tunneler adult. "I want YOU to be MY mentor Rattleheart!" He meows out, still with a pout on his charcoal colored face. He blinks at what Rattleheart said to Lakekit saying the other kitten might be a moor runner. YES!

•  
  • no ref yet </3
  • ( NO WAY ! ) SHEEPKIT : kitten of windclan
    ✦ cismale ; HE / HIM ; currently 3 moons
    ✦ undecided / single / not actively looking / open to puppy-crushes
    ✦ a longhaired black smoke with high white & blue eyes
    action , thoughts , "Speech, f8ede3"
    ✦ smells of early morning dew & windblown heather

- tags / @ on discord for plots
    - penned by calzone

• nothing here begone!

Downypaw listens with a tilted head and a bemused smile, having already been drifting towards their mentor in the absence of other stimulus. The declarations of several kittens isn't and might never be enough to solidify her opinion on her new mentor in any one way, but it is heartening. Mentorship is a faraway notion to her still; she had another lifetime to live before she would even graduate, much less be entrusted with one of WindClan's young. They dream of it still, wondering what it would be like to have another life, one whole life, so snugly in their shadow and in their pawsteps.

It's strange how Rattleheart isn't happier, too, with being adored so much as to be fought over, like precious herbs or prey. Even if it was by kittens who would fight over who had to eat a worm as fiercely as they did a mentor, who they would never know for another couple of moons on account of a law declared by a dead man.

Downypaw's gaze softens with a mixture of concern and childish disgust as Frightkit and Sheepkit practically pile on top of Lakekit in their desperation to be heard. StarClan, Lakekit's practically as big as her at his age; there was no way this kid was becoming a tunneler. "I guess I could share Rattleheart," they muse, hovering next to the black-and-white warrior. "Real apprentices learn from whoever they can," they add softly, as though it were more for themself than the kittens.​

[ ༻ ❊ ༺ ] It would seem Lakekit's attempt to be sneaky over declaring Rattleheart as his mentor had went with no avail as Frightkit came over to start arguing how Rattleheart was her mentor and, Lakekit was about to argue back when finally Rattleheart answered the kit's words. Expressing it was not his choice, nor Rattleheart's on who gets to mentor them rather Starclan's. "Doesn't Sunstar pick the mentors?" he asked quizzically.

Another answer came from Rattleheart lips and expressed to Lakekit that he could not be a tunneler and pointed towards Sunstar who seemed to be watching, explaining that there would be a chance he'd end yp a moor-runner like their leader. Blinking their bicolor gaze they would examine the leader's broad physics before looking at their own paws and then to Frightkit's before feeling Sheepkit's push against him and he stared at the other, before looking even at Sheepkit's own paws.

Downypaw appeared and then they looked at Rattleheart's first apprentices paw and... well they seemed smaller than his, which brought a soft frown to appear on his lips before fluffing his chest out. "Frightkit should be Rattleheart's second apprentice, she has a better argument" they expressed to Sheepkit, deciding to take the younger she-kit's side in things before looking up at Downypaw "Whats it like to be in the ground?" he asked curiously.

• "speak""Thoughts"
  • Lakekit AMAB, He/Him, Kit of Windclan, 3 moons.
    LH Rosette Lynx Minx with low white and bi-color eyes, blind in left eye
    NPC X NPC
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted (ask first) / / underline and tag when attacking
    see battle info here
    penned by Ryn@/Rynnaro on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

-

Mentorship is something that interests Dimmingsun greatly; to be entrusted with the young who make up the Clan's future, to be the one guiding their paws in the direction and passing on all knowledge... it's an honor, truly. With the amount of kittens taking up the nursery (it seems to be a bit small now, all things considered), he hopes his time to gain an apprentice of his very own is coming sooner rather than later. The amount of responsibility bestowed upon a mentor is nothing to scoff at and could grow to be overwhelming, but it's a dream nevertheless.

The kits are out and about today just like before, and it seems they pick Rattleheart as their victim. Tiny paws and kitten-fluff surround the lead warrior with much enthusiasm - almost drowning her, if it weren't for the obvious size difference. Even Sunstar has taken notice.

"Look how fond they are of you," he hums, approaching Rattleheart and his army of kittens from the side. "How could you possibly turn them down?"

Lakekit's question is nothing new amongst WindClan's camp; the differences between tunnelers and moor-runners is always a hot topic. Dimmingsun's head tilts to the side as he wonders how Rattleheart will counter it once again.

Lakekit takes the news in stride. Better than Pinkpaw did, at any rate. Beneath the guileless surface of their face and the events of a few moons, the memory still stings. Downypaw blinks at Frightkit, for a moment turning over the idea of having the girl as a partner in their head. They'd be much closer to becoming a warrior when the time came for her to be apprenticed; maybe Rattleheart would expect them to teach her as well. A small smile quirks her muzzle when she realizes Rattleheart would then have two blue-eyed, black-pointed cats trailing after him.

The future moor runner then turns to them, lakes of curiosity pooling in his wide eyes. "Ah, well..." Downypaw tips their head, wanting to give him an acceptable answer. Remembering Rabbitclaw's conversations with their litter as kits, their smile turns a little more mischievous: "It's very dark in the tunnels, as dark as covering your eyes with your paws and closing them. And if you stay down there for too long, you'll turn into a worm..." As for the future tunnelers in the conversation, they could cope. Downypaw and Pinkpaw had, after all.

A sun-furred shape appears at the edge of her vision, one too large to be Wolfsong. Dimmingsun gives voice to Downypaw's thoughts when he turns to Rattleheart, and the apprentice curiously twists an ear towards them. They long to ask what she did to make the kittens like her so much, but maybe it was a question best left to another day, asked without the bias of the subjects here.​