private i'd be home with you | brookstorm

Soft moonlight paints reformed lovers in glows of silver and obsidian. Camp is quiet, save for mumblings of guards and snores of elders. In the distance crickets begin their nightly lullaby serenaded with the babbling of waters encircling camp. It's peaceful. Robinheart craves this kind of peace - the way the world seems to finally slow down and she can breath. The weight of mournful days past lifts from her shoulders if only for an evening. Only for a brief time where it is just her and Brookstorm, making up for lost time and relishing in the time where motherhood has not claimed their (or at least Robinheart's) full attention.

"Brookstorm," the tortoiseshell murmurs, leaning against the other and rasping her tongue across blue cheek, "they'll need names." Time was slowly running out and while Robinheart could name the little lives growing inside her by herself, a part of her wants Brookstorm to have a say in what the kits are called. Maybe, should Brookstorm deem it so, they won't know her as their mother. But Robinheart would. And knowing the stone furred molly played a small part in giving the kittens a lifelong gift brings fragile joy to her heart. "I wonder if you would like to ponder some with me?"

@brookstorm
( penned by kerms )

The progression of growing close again lights her heart on fire just as their love had done when it was fresh, when it was new. Their impending parenthood scares her still, but her promise to Robinheart is strong and bolts her to the ground. She will not run again - she will do her best. Brookstorm will be there for her lover. every step of the way. And though she knows Robinheart would respect her should she decide to not be a part of the kits lives, she knows it only right to be.

Her nose is tucked against the reddish ruff of the other's chest when she speaks, and a muffled, "Mhm?" sounds from her throat. Green eyes peek open as Robinheart asks to discuss names, and her head feels light just as the fluttering in her gut becomes nauseous - but she agrees, "Yeah. We can do that," she says, pulling away only slightly to right herself. Her gaze falls out into the night sky and her tail rests casually over the other's backside. She, surprisingly, starts the conversation (however unfortunately in the negative,) "I... don't want to name them after family. I was named after an aunt I never got to meet... It's more of an empty feeling than a prideful one, if that makes sense," she folds her ears back, "Plus, no one but Willowroot would respect a Buck-kit," it's something of a jest, but she doesn't dwell on it. She does, however, eventually add, "Though, I suppose... Strikekit, instead of Lightningkit... would be alright? If that's something you'd want."

She expertly hides her surprise at Brookstorm’s agreement to discuss names, even going as far as to start the conversation. Robinheart had intended to lead the discussion, offering up names and ideas, but following in her mate’s steps felt much more intimate. Closer. The queen nods as the blue moggy expresses a desire to not use family names - explaining how it had made her feel being bestowed with a legacy she had never known. “What of living family?” Robinheart asks innocently, her head tilted ever so slightly. “I only ask since I had been thinking of a couple names to honor my mother, Apricotflower. Another fruit or perhaps Blossom or Bloom…” she rambles, noncommittal to the ideas, simply speaking them into existence. She understands the resistance to Buck-kit as a name and out of respect doesn’t press anymore. Then Brookstorm offers up Strikekit as an idea, an honorary name for her father, and Robinheart smiles softly. “I like it, it’s a strong name.”

”What other names do you like?”
Brookstorm had mentioned themes and examples she did not want, but what about the ones she did? “Do you like strong RiverClan names? Like Currentkit or Sedgekit?” Robinheart speaks the names with a subtle longing - an unspoken desire to further prove herself a loyal RiverClanner even after all these moons.
[ penned by kerms ]

Brookstorm blinks at Robinheart as the other speaks of living family, and a pathetic part of her resists remarking, I don't have that. In these kittens, she will again. She will have kin, a legacy once more. Is this how her father felt when the realization hit him? There's a new level of responsibility that scares her, as she recognizes a generation of kittens will be reliant on her for guidance and support. Was Lightningstone frightened, like she is?

"Your mother may like that," she's never properly spoken to the queen. She wonders what the white and orange feline thinks of her, after everything... Brookstorm dismisses the thought, offering a quiet, uncertain, "Maybe... Mosskit? Err, no," there's a Mosspool, and they're not close at all. "Bluekit? Or Algaekit? I don't know - something for Lichentail, I mean," she tries. Her tail twitches as she finishes her stammering thought with, "They mean a lot to me..."

Robinheart takes the helm of the conversation and the stone colored moggy simply listens, "Currentkit... is nice," she hums. "I'd say Riverkit, but Smokestar took that for one of his little ones," his niblings, she knows, but the distinction doesn't matter. "Maybe... Wavekit? Or..." she trails again, looking back towards the tortoiseshell, "You might like softer names, I'd think. Like... Lilypadkit. Fishkit. Err... Splashkit?" It's obvious that at this point, she's just pointing out the scenery around them.​

There is no denying the slowly creeping hope infecting Robinheart’s mind as the two go back and forth on names. She sees the tiniest of flickers in Brookstorm’s eyes - the moments where it is sinking in that the kits will be here soon, and they’ll need her. There’s trepidation still, an uncertainty in becoming a parent, but for these brief moments of closeness Robinheart doesn’t feel so alone in the journey to come.

“She may. Motherhood has always suited her so perhaps in a way I hope using her name will allow it to suit me too,” she whispers into the night air, bright yellow eyes following the dance of a firefly across camp. Brookstorm mentions Lichentail, offering a couple of names to honor the deputy, and the mottled queen glances back to meet grassy eyes. “Then we shall use Bluekit or Algaekit or something else for Lichentail,” she agrees. There was no denying the bond her mate had with the deputy. Robinheart could think of no better gift to give them.

A soft laugh, chiming bells that put the crickets to shame, escapes Robinheart as the stone furred moggy suggests she may like softer names. “You know me too well,” she purrs, bumping her head against the other’s shoulder with affection. “I know I want one to have a water name, like Wavekit or Splashkit… Streamkit, maybe? Something that lets everyone know that they are RiverClan through and through.” If Brookstorm had not barred family names Robinheart may be so bold to suggest Brook-kit. “Hesitantly I also like names that feel like… us. Moonlightkit for our twilight moments. Promisekit for our tentative beginning. Lovekit, but that might be too soft.” Her cheeks flush at just how sappy those sound. StarClan, coming up with names was so hard.
[ penned by kerms ]