IN DOUBLE TIME ✧ SEP MEETING

The pain was manageable today—not unnoticeable, no, but Slate could at least manage to keep himself awake instead of knocking himself out with poppy seeds again. The giant male slowly drags himself out of the medicine den as soon as Orangestar calls the clan together and, by the time he finally manages to sink into a comfortable position outside, she has already bestowed the rank of elder upon Palemoon. Slate clenches his jaw, focusing mostly on his breathing as a mixture of effort and pain has nearly winded him in the process.

His gaze momentarily rests on the red and white molly's stomach, his heart feeling as if it was sinking into his. Seeing how rounded Ora has become only makes the reality of Slate's predicament all too real. His mate still retains her same grace and regality, holding her head high and commanding the entire clan even as their awaited children nestle beneath her. He tears his attention away from them, even if it's difficult to.

Howlfire and Florabreeze are called upon next to join his mate's council; his mangled ears perk up, a dulled amber stare flicking toward the two she-cats who accept the offer silently yet graciously. Ora hadn't informed him about her choices; he knows that she is not entitled to confide in anyone about her decisions, but he cannot help but feel frustrated about being left in the dark, so to speak. Slate hasn't a say in anything anymore, and the stars know how burning with envy he'll be as soon as the meeting is dismissed. He wants to be there. He wants to support Orangestar, to be entrusted to help run the clan smoothly and take responsibility in her stead. Howlfire was a capable warrior, one he had even trained himself at a time. Florabreeze was a daylight warrior, one who was affable and had some training under her pelt by now, but was she ready for this? An underlying anxiety twinges in his chest — Slate only hopes that Ora will make the right choices for herself. If he could not step up again to the leader's council, then he hoped that Johnnyflame or Silversmoke would be allowed to return as well.

A plethora of cats, young and old, are called one by one to receive their new names. Slate does not voice his congratulations as per usual, not necessarily because he does not care but because he prefers to keep praises, if any, low-key. He narrows his pupils once Emberpaw is now known as Emberfall — the she-cat was very lucky that her leader nor her mentor had been present to witness her trash mouth and blatant disrespect for her superiors. Silversmoke would have seen to it that she would have stayed an apprentice—or perhaps been demoted to a kit—for six more moons. Now Emberfall is technically his equal, though it will be difficult for Slate to view her in that way.

Orangestar's next order of business is a critical one; she had gone without a second-in-command for a moon now, and with her expecting kits, someone would have to lead in her place. She would either pick from her current roster of lead warriors or perhaps select another cat altogether. Truthfully, Slate doesn't know who would be good enough to serve as deputy alongside his mate, but whoever it was would be subjected to his scrutiny.

"The deputy of SkyClan will be Twitchbolt."

The Maine Coon jerks instinctively. "Wha—ow." A scoff of disbelief is cut short by a sharp prick of pain that radiates from his bad hip. Slate grits his teeth, wincing, though his jaws slack open as congratulatory meows ring out from across the clearing. Twitchbolt. Varying emotions bubble and boil within Slate's gut — why did she trust Twitchbolt so much? He had let her down once already! There were other candidates more worthy than him. He had not proven himself capable in Slate's eyes. That stammering fool was no better than Silversmoke or Figfeather, or hell, even Howlfire. Slate's ivory claws knead the ground; even he would have taken the mantle for himself if he were able, as opposed to Twitchbolt.

The tom's features are unabashedly soured, though likely to go unnoticed by his other clanmates who were giving attention to the new deputy. Slate twitches his tail in an antsy manner, longing for the ability to storm out of camp and go sulk somewhere in silence. With one last bitter, disappointed glance to Orangestar, he begrudgingly decided to haul himself onto his limbs and drag himself back into the medicine den.

• 81989570_qOt9GUlhGgQcrtn.png
  • 75375484_vL7mDl6wNERV2mI.png
    a warrior ( formerly lead warrior ) of skyclan, slate is forty-two moons. he is mated to orangestar. he is a hulking longhaired maine coon with black fur and prominent reddish rusting on his chest and belly. scars litter his form but are prominently present on his face.

• Wow
Reactions: FIGFEATHER
I'M GONNA BE THE SNACK THAT SMILES BACK
I'M GONNA BE THE KIT TO YOUR KAT
eggbounce & 17 moons & male & he/him & skyclan warrior

79237824_lwv_18069800.png
Another moon, another meeting - truthfully, eggbounce thinks little of it when his mother calls for attention, easily settling down within the crowd. Today is a big day for their family - his little cousins getting apprenticed! But despite his excitement, he hardly expects for his own name to fall from Orangestars lips - pale blue eyes blown wide in surprise, even as he grins. He - him, eggbounce - has been given his first apprentice! Sure, he'd gotten sort of a... trail run in responsibility with Kite, but that had been way different. This is fun and new and - " Hi ll' cousin, " he chirps warmly, touching noses to his newly named apprentice. " I'll make sure to teach you lots - I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun, "

actions & " speech, " & 'thoughts/quotes'

( I ' M G O N N A B E T HE O N E Y O U U N W R A P )

Ghostkit cried out name after name alongside her clan mates, her eyes glowing with anxiety and excitement. They're all so cool... How could I possibly stand up there in just six more moons? Her feathery tail flicked back and forth, stilling only when her own name was called. She glanced back at Duskpool one last time, pale gaze wide and unsure. It was time. It was really time. She scurried after her fellows, sticking particularly close to Foxglovekit. Though her brother was not one for overt comfort, being near him was enough to steady her skittish heart.

Adderkit was first to be named, his mentor revealed as Eggbounce. Ghostkit smiled at him, though he hardly seemed to need it. When Orangestar locked her down with warm eyes, Ghostkit did her best to stare back without flinching. Ghostpaw. My name is Ghostpaw! The tingling spreading through her chest sharpened as Orangestar announced her mentor. Ghostpaw couldn't stop a flare of surprise scalding her features for a moment. Howlfire? But... But we don't really... Ghostkit, Ghostpaw would rather meet StarClan early than utter a word against her leader, or her new lead warrior. She met Howlfire's gaze as best she could, only relaxing after she leaned forward and felt the lead warrior's gentle touch. She's on Orangestar's council now. And Orangestar wants her to train me.
"Th-Thank you," she stammered a reply to Howlfire. I hope... I hope I'm not a disappointment.

Foxglovekit was last, and Ghostpaw managed to shake her nerves to grin widely for her brother. Upon hearing Duskpool be named as his mentor, it took all of her strength not to let her jaw drop. That's allowed? Lucky! A kit-like whine peeled through her head as she imagined all the fun Foxglovepaw could have with their grandfather every day. Then a new, louder voice suddenly leaped to attention. Mean! Mean, mean, mean, it chastised her. Howlfire will be a great mentor. You're gonna make her proud. And you're gonna be happy for family. She tilted her head back and cried "Adderpaw! Foxglovepaw!" into the sky.

The announcement of a new deputy meant little to her. Ghostpaw was too young for politics, too child-like in her priorities to realize this announcement was sending a ripple through her clan. Her mind was filled with thoughts of training, seeing the territory, and telling Duskpool about every bit of it.​

Reactions: Howlfire