let it out and let it in ☼ howlingstar

-ˋˏ ༻ ☀ ༺ ˎˊ-
dd766ql-e8b06172-29d0-498a-b782-e139a0acd9eb.gif
There was only so much to do around camp, Roeflame was quick to realize. With the ease of the thick, grey clouds the threatened snow and sleet, the young queen made an attempt to spend as much time outside as possible. Yet, today was far too cold to stay perched at the entrance for long.
Roeflame supposes she could go be bothersome in the medicine den, but ultimately she retreats back into the nursery, deciding she still wasnt ready to process the wave of emotions stepping foot in Gentlestorms den would bring.
It was no matter, Burnstorm and her friends would be back soon, and then her boredom would be solved.
”Rosekit… or Branchkit? Ugh all the good names are taken.” Quietly, she muses to herself in her petal-laced nest. Rolling to lay on her back, a claw hooks itself in a fallen flower, picking at it as her brows furrow in thought.
”Primrosekit…Is that cute?” Just as her though begins to trail, there is a rustle at the entrance.
Celadon optics instinctively cast to the side, catching a glimpse of brown tabby and white in her peripheral.
”Howlingstar!” Roeflame sputters, her greeting laced in surprise as she promptly rolls back on her stomach, though embarrassingly enough it takes an extra moment or two of effort.
”Hey- er, hello!” The off guard tabby greets with a sheepish smile, eyes drifting to the prey clasped in her leaders jaws, the silvery molly sits herself up.
”O-oh! Is that for me?” Roeflame chirps, her ginger smile melting into something more genuine. ”Sorry, I think I’m still getting used to that.” There is a breath of laughter that puts an end to her sentence as she gestures her nose towards the meal.
While a prominent and positive figure throughout Roeflames life, she finds herself struggling to figure out the proper etiquette to use with Howlingstar here, still feeling so unfamiliar to her role as a queen.

• @HOWLINGSTAR

• ROEFLAME she/her, Lead Warrior of Thunderclan, twenty-one moons.
    petite cinnamon silver ticked tabby with murky green eyes & a small scar over her left eye.
    mate to Burnstorm ☀ mentor to Foxpaw, Lightpaw
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted ☀ underline and tag when attacking
    penned by Noor@toyangel on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

Hawkpaw, Wolfpaw, and Blazingpaw - her great grandchildren in SkyClan. She grieves the fact she does not know them, has never even met them. This is her chance to know the kits of her grandchildren, even if it's not Howlfire's. No, it's Burnstorm's, and after him, Moonwhisper's. She is so excited she can hardly sleep! She finds herself eyeing the nursery today, knowing Roeflame lays just inside. Her tail twitches thoughtfully before she moves to scoop up a robin from the fresh-kill pile and head straight for the den, her whiskers twitching as she hears the queen from outside.

A pleased smile causes her eyes to squint as she ducks into the woven den, green eyes landing on the she-cat who lies on her back. "For the record, I like Primrosekit," She trills softly with a smile, dropping the bird. Her eyes follow the queen's to the fresh-kill and she chuckles. "Yes, it is. I know it's a lot to get used to, but you have to let us take care of you, now!" Eyes twinkling with amusement, she nudges the robin forward for her. As soon as she confirms Roeflame will eat it, she settles back on her haunches and tilts her head. "How are you doing? First litters are...a lot. I would know."

-ˋˏ ༻ ☀ ༺ ˎˊ-
At the older mollys validation towards Roeflames own silly musings, the Queen gives a curt nod coupled with a sheepish laugh.
”Noted.” Roeflame hums, accepting the bird that is nudged in her direction with a grateful hum.
Howlingstar insists that she let herself be taken care of, and as Roeflame takes her first bite of the meal, her head is shaking with amusement.
”I suppose there isn’t much I could do in protest, anyhow.” the silvered queen hums once her bite is finished, recalling the effort it took her to simply roll over just a moment ago.
Howlingstar asks how she’s doing, offering her own insight on the overwhelming concept that is a first litter, a first go-around.
”I’m doing okay… it’s definitely a little overwhelming sometimes. I’m so anxious for them to get here, but also not ready to share them with anyone else. Is that weird?” Roeflame rambles, flashing a ginger half-smile in Howlingstars direction before taking another, more thought-laced bite.
”How did you… do it all? Like- was it as scary as I think it’s going to be?” Now it is Roeflames turn to tilt her head, looking up to meet the leaders more vibrant ivy gaze. If there’s anyone who would know, surely it would be her.

petite cinnamon silver ticked tabby with murky green eyes & a small scar over her left eye.

Howlingstar chuckles in amusement, giving her head a soft shake. She remembers how it felt to be pregnant with her first litter, how protective she'd become so quickly, and they hadn't even arrived yet. "Not at all. Right now, it's like...they're yours, and yours alone. It's hard to give them up. But when they do get here, they'll have an entire clan rooting for them." Her eyes twinkle at the thought of more kin on toddling paws.

Her next question brings about a purr. "Oh, yes! It's terrifying!" She laughs almost, as if to squash any fears that may be rising in Roeflame. "I had no idea what I was doing. No first-time mother does. But you will do great, Roeflame. You'll figure it out, just like everyone else does. And you'll have help every step of the way." Her gaze softens as she reaches a paw forward to place it on the lead warrior's. "These will be my great grandchildren. If you ever need help, you know I'll be there, right?"

-ˋˏ ༻ ☀ ༺ ˎˊ-
Slowly but surely, any self-inflicted tension that had wedged itself between spotted shoulder blades as quick to melt, especially as she felt at ease enough to carelessly laugh alongside Howlingstar.
”Okay okay, I’m glad it isn’t just me, at least.” She chimes light-heartedly, taking yet another bite as the tabby before her began to answer her previous prompt, hazy optics wide and receptive, drinking in every wisdom-laced word.
Howlingstars assurance is most likely more impactful then the older molly would ever truly know, and once her last bite is swallowed Roeflame would offer her a grateful nod.
”That… means a lot, Howlingstar. Thank you.” She tries to purr as Howlingstar places a snowy paw atop of hers, but ultimately her soft tone is only accompanied by a low rumble from her chest, hardly what the spotted she-cat had aimed for.
”My kits will know the privilege in their heritage, and how truly loved they are. I’m really grateful you get to be a part of that.” Earnestly, Roeflame replies, celadon hues making comfortable and steady eye-contact. ”We’ve actually decided on at least one name you know… Littlekit.” So far, it is the only name Roeflame is certain of, a reflection of everything she could hope for her kit.

The seriousness in Roeflame's voice and in her eyes catches her off guard for a mere moment before she melts into an easy smile. She purrs louder, already imagining the kits tumbling about her paws, because stars know she'll be coming to visit often! They will be special kits, ones that will know how much their kin loves them; kits who bear the blood of leaders and medicine cats and heroes in their veins. They will be destined for great things.

And then Roeflame tells her they've decided on one of the names, and the tabby's ears prick with interest. Littlekit. Her smile tightens with emotion, her eyes beginning to water. But if any tears shed, they will be tears of joy. "Littlekit," She repeats quietly, testing the name in her mouth. "I love it, Roeflame." Her daughter would be so proud, and she knows she watches from StarClan in excitement for her grandchildren to be born.