camp MIRROR MIRROR - rta / reflection

TIDEPAW.

PEACEFUL WAVES.
Sep 12, 2023
There's a certain cat that Tidepaw hasn't spent much time observing - herself.

Now that a lot of her time is taken up by her apprentice duties, she finds herself thinking about herself and her own set of skills more often than not. Piece by piece, as she learns techniques and skills, Tidepaw finds herself starting to understand more of what she is capable of doing. It's nice, to feel confident because it seems so easy to learn something new. Still, while she understands what she can currently, she doesn't quite understand herself, and the type of cat she truly is.

Amber optics gaze upon the waters of the river, and her reflection peers back at her, just as focused on her as she is on it. When others look at her, this is what they see. She doesn't particularly know what she's supposed to view her appearance as. Some call others beautiful or pretty, but she isn't sure if she is either of those things.

Nearby is the nursery where she once slept. She once sat at the entrance and watched the rest of RiverClan live their lives. She wonders if she looks the same as she did back then.

"This is me," she murmurs softly, though her voice still sounds somewhat unsure. "But who am I, really?"

"Speech"

YOU ARE AN OCEAN OF WAVES

• Love
Reactions: Snakeblink
( ) she feels an incredible pride for her children. two litters, both plagued by early childhood difficulty, have grown and graduated to the next stages of their lives. it makes her feel vaguely inadequate- missing the younger stages of her life. she wonders how she would've turned out had she been raised in the riverclan nursery, mentored by an older warrior. still, the pride outshines all of her odd emotions, and she's padded through the world with glowing satisfaction since her kits' ceremonies.

a soft yawn escapes the smoke femme's mouth as they stretch, feeling their muscles shake under their thick fur. flicking their tail over their shoulder and standing, they will spot their youngest, looking reflective as she gazes across the river, and a purr rumbles in willowroot's throat. trotting slowly over to the silver tabby, they feel a slight chill as a wind ruffles their fur. "hey there, minnow," they purr, the affectionate nickname rolling off of their tongue like honey. "what're you thinking about, love?" they sit themself beside the smaller cat, leaning gently into their kin.

*+:。.。 "If you're intense staring means you're trying to spot a fish, don't hold your breath," Asphodelpaw parts his teeth to allow the snapping words free reign to bite at Tidepaw alongside his impatient glare, "your shadow has long since scared them off" New apprentices, he decides, are a bane. Yes, Tidepaw's additional spot to the roster of youths is what's currently irritating Asphodelpaw, certainly not the coil of envy he feels watching Willowroot snuggle close to their daughter - no! Certainly not! How could it be when there's nothing more annoying in this forest than an apprentice who doesn't take her duties seriously? Instead of devoting all her time to feeding her clan, she just sits there and...what, watches her reflection? Vain, much? He snorts, uncaring in the moment of how disrespectful his actions appear in the presence of a warrior - if Tidepaw is allowed to act a fool, why should Asphodelpaw worry about being a good and proper boy? "Yeah, what are you thinking about? How many uninterrupted moons you need to groom the perfect shine into your coat, perhaps?" he asks, sarcasm singeing the air around his whiskers.

• GENERAL:
    Asphodelpaw
    DMAB— He/Him — Unsure
    8 moons — Ages 1 moon every month real-time
    Mentored by Crashingtide
    Riverclan — Apprentice

COMBAT:
    Physically easy | mentally medium
    Attack in bold #9fc3fc
    injuries: None currently

-ˋˏ ˎˊ- carawaypaw doesn't catch tidepaw's somber musings, nor willowroot's honeyed inquiries. what she does hear, however, is the malicious bite in asphodelpaw's words. she feels the blood climbing her spine in a race to her ears, the way they pin to her tapered head as a result.

tidepaw hadn't done anything to him, to anyone really. she stayed in her own head for the most part, that surely wasn't deserving of sarcastic quips or insults to her ability. she couldn't save bumblepaw from nettlepaw's schemes just yet, but perhaps there was still time to swoop in and put a stop to the threat to her sister.

"shut up, asphodelpaw. leave her alone." she steps to the older apprentice, long legs placing her just tall enough that she could meet his gaze with a defiant raise of her chin. "you jealous? sad that you could groom every waking second of your life and still look like a mange-ridden rat?"

• CARAWAYPAW she/her, apprentice of riverclan, four moons
    carawaypaw is a pretty longhaired silver tabby with green eyes and a long, lithe frame. born into riverclan, she loves her home and has a deep fascination with becoming a warrior to provide for it. for now, she is heavily focused on her duties as an apprentice and trying to balance them with her enjoyment of less serious activities. she is currently apprenticed to nightfish.
    willowroot x poppysplash ↛ sister to bumblepaw, tidepaw, mosspaw, hazepaw, antlerpaw, and buckpaw
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking ↛ see battle info here
    penned by vayle@vayl3 on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

The camp never met a moment's peace, but most of the time it was just due to kitten mischief, and not bickering apprentices. And- well, this group of apprentices seemed to do a fair amount of bickering. Ferngill's own generation were all warriors now- (now that he had finally caught up)- and the memories of them this young were hazier than they used to be, but he could swear they hadn't had quite as many confrontations as this little group had.

Now, he was not anyone's mentor. In fact, when given dangerous time to think, Ferngill's thoughts wandered to the question of whether he would ever be one. Whether he would just be an absolute, burdening failure of a teacher. But if there was one thing he was good at it was being friendly, and though he wasn't Nightfish nor Crashingtide, he still cast a disapproving look to Carawaypaw and Asphodelpaw... though the latter earned it a little more.

"Let's not do this, guys," he murmured, his demeanour somewhat apologetic and distinctly pleading. It didn't really feel right to start telling them off, but... he could try a personable approach that wasn't bossing them around, because who knew if they would respect him? He dressed himself with an encouraging smile. "Asphodelpaw, let's- direct this sort of energy towards WindClan, not your denmates." A gentle push, not an order by any means- his tone was anything but commanding. They'd only just been denmates themselves, after all...
penned by pin

⋆ ✧    ·   ⋆ ✧    ·   ✧ ⋆     ·   ✧ ⋆
cheets_lichen_2_headshot.png
Their shrill voices and hissed insults are becoming like aggravating screeching from birds in the palest hours of morning, disturbing a rest long yearned for and sorely missed. She can't be sure who is to blame... their mothers? Who else was responsible from teaching them basic social skills?

"I can't believe I hear this loathsome bickering again," they complain, droplet-blue gaze narrowed in irritation. Ferngill is perhaps the only adult willing to point out how completely displaced such sniping is- they flick their tail tip in a greeting to him, thankful for his skill for common decency.

"Asphodelpaw, I sincerely recommend you listen to Ferngill before you find yourself tail-deep in mouse bile. It'll smell just as friendly as your tone to your clan-mates..." Maybe in tangible, disgusting experiences the apprentices would finally learn how nasty their drama was- it was an infection that needed to be nipped in the bud before it could fester.

WELL IF YOU WANT MY BLOOD I'LL MAKE SO MUCH BLOOD
THAT YOU'RE GONNA FUCKING DROWN

bio ₊˚✧ ゚. Bright eyed he exits the nursery, he's been battering around a mossball towards his mother, relief palpable that she was playing with him, usually lacking the energy. As such, he approaches the group with an odd for him hesitance. He's often taken to sticking a paw in and boring green eyes into the water in hopes of one day finding anything in there to add to his small collection.

The crowd gathered, he regards with a round eyed surprise, Tidepaw and Willowroot gathered fondly soured by the bitter apprentice. Bitekit quickly finds his good mood vanishing, spurring his involvement, something about seeing the hostility invoking his own temper, despite Ferngill's attempt at smoothing over the situation, he can't help himself. "Why're you looking for a fight?" He grouses up at Asphodelpaw, attempts to duck nearby Lichentail, nose scrunching. Unwanting to be on the receiving end of the lecture, knowing he's about to spout something regrettable on what has been a good day, he redirects his attention to the water. "Is there anything in there?" Squinting at the seemingly calm water from where he's hiding himself, he questions Tidepaw.

Last edited:
When her mother first joins her, Tidepaw spares them a glance and lets out a soft purr. "Hello," she meows, before her gaze returns to the water. "I've spent so much time watching others, comparing my own predictions to what they actual do in a situation. In doing so, I think I learn a lot about who a cat really is but... It's hard to really figure out who I really am by myself." It's frustrating for her to struggle with something, to not be able to understand herself. She should be able to, because she's the one who is living her life.

It's also frustrating when older apprentices such as Asphodelpaw come to bug her when she was doing nothing wrong, minding her own business and talking to Willowroot. She stays silent, listening to Carawaypaw come to her defense, to Ferngill telling the two to stop bickering, to Lichentail reiterating the warriors' point..

Instead, she next speaks again to Bitekit, though she keeps her gaze downcast on the waters. "I don't know. There could be. Asphodelpaw is right - if there were fish, I've likely scared them away. But... that doesn't mean that there isn't something there. Maybe we just haven't found it."

"Speech"

YOU ARE AN OCEAN OF WAVES