pafp one as sweet as caramel // rock hunting

❀​ I FEEL SCARED AND I'M STARTING TO SINK ❀​
periwinklebreeze | 10 months | demi-boy | he/they | physically medium (pacifist) | mentally easy | attack in bold #ccccff
It is a strange sight that meets windclan that day - the hunched figure of periwinklepaw, staring at... something upon the ground. Not far from him is schorchkit, the instigator of todays events. Always one with a soft spot for kits, or those younger than him in general, how is peri supposed to say now when asked to help find cool rocks? Not the most warrior-like task but really, it's not like his clanmates have high expectations for him anyways. And it's not as though he really minds - perhaps he'll even find one gravelsnap can use for his mock-battle setups. "Hm.... wh-what about this one?" he says softly, head tipping to the side as he scuffs the dirt off a smooth dark grey rock, pale gaze blinking at the child with all the seriousness of asking a lead warrior for patrol instructions.

// @SCORCHKIT

Reactions: SCORCHSTORM
TAGS — Periwinklepaw is a kind soul to entertain her curiosity like this. Surely the apprentice has better things to be doing- training for his warrior assessment, or hunting for the clan, or... something. But he's helping her archaeological struggle instead, digging up a rock for her to examine. Scorchkit glances up to meet his pale gaze for a brief moment. She wonders if he can see the thanks in it. But she turns her attention quickly to the rock that he's procured, white-tipped ears twitching as she considers it. "It's good," she determines with a small nod. The kitten takes it in her paws, its smooth surface cool beneath the soft pink pads, and places it in front of her. Whatever she's doing with this rock seems to be a mystery to her clanmates. Perhaps it's even a mystery to herself, but something inside her chest won't let her leave it alone.

"If we get another, we can make a tower," Scorchkit decides. A tower, yes! A tower would be the perfect use for these rocks. Her wide bicolor gaze snaps up to the apprentice once more, tail tall and flicking with quiet amusement. "Oh, here!" She picks at a rock half-concealed by the soft grasses of the moor-bound camp. It's porous, but it's flat, and it's rough beneath her paw pads- not at all like the stone Periwinklepaw had chosen, but not a bad thing, she thinks. "Is it good?" He could make the ultimate decision to either place it on the one-rock-tall tower or discard it.​

Rock collecting was a popular pass time he's noticed, and while Morningpaw knew how to appreciate rocks, he enjoyed collecting flowers more. They were usually prettier. And soft. And won't hurt him if he rolls onto one in his sleep.

Scorchkit and Periwinklepaw were observing rocks today, though. He padded closer to see what they were doing on light paws, tail flicking curiously.

"Oohh, you're making a tower?" He asked. He wondered how big it could get before falling over. How many rocks would they need?

"I think that rock is exquisite." He says to Scorchkit with a gentle smile. It does occur to him that she may not know that word.... But then he'd get to teach her a new word, if not!

"I can help you guys build the tower, if you'll have me?" He asks. He may be partial to flowers, but even he cannot resist the allure of rocks.​

Should he be able to every night, Sootspot would choose no other place to rest than below the stars. When they were beings so easily manipulated by the living, they needed a constant sentry lest they punish WindClan further due to the words of fork-tongued fish-eaters and shadow-crawlers. Alas, he was not ready to forego the comforts that a burrow provided on a rainy day and, so, he found himself casually interested in the decorations that other WindClanners collected on the moors - when they had finished their jobs. He did not bother to keep track of the status of the moor-runners as a tunneler, but as he remained above ground for the day, he found his attention slowly shifting towards the corner of camp where an apprentice had an audience hooked with something. He eyed Periwinkle, once a somewhat friend and peer, now a distant memory due to family differences, with an air of caution. StarClan, curiosity would kill him, wouldn't it? Drifting closer on stunted limbs, yellow-green eyes peered at the earth they were uncovering, hoping to see a mole, but instead only saw a smooth stone.

He blinked incredulously, doubly so when Scorchkit and Morningpaw seemed absolutely thrilled with the find. Childhood hadn't been so very long ago for the tunneler, but all the fun he'd had within it had been replaced in his memory the moment he hit three moons with important things. "You're... hunting rocks?" A brow raised quizzically as he tried to calm the muted bristling to his fur. Sootspot didn't think he was even annoyed, just... perturbed. What sort of mundane lessons were these children going to grow up having?

──⇌•〘 INFO Wolfsong remembers his stone-stacking sessions with his mother fondly. It is a fondness weathered by loss, but it is a scar more than a wound these days, and seeing Scorchkit suggest a tower elicits far more light-hearted interest than melancholy remembrance. Sunflowerpaw had been similarly interested in Wolfsong's stone-tower what seems like an age ago, and while the two are quite different in many ways, they each have a keenness about them that draws Wolfsong. A reminder of himself, perhaps, or just the recognition of potential.

"With these winds, it's best not to risk too tall a tower," he comments to both Scorchkit and Morningpaw. Preemptively, yes, but where the young are concerned, they often tend toward competition. Safer to try nipping an impulse in the bud before the subject rises. They may not have mentioned testing how high they can build it, but I remember my impulses well at that age. "No taller than Scorchkit's head, I think."

He glances at Sootstar's son, grinning playfully. Sootspot seems...agitated, almost. For what reason? Does he distrust Periwinklebreeze like his mother? "Ah, but I'm partial to hunting stones myself. I wouldn't take them for granite."

✿ — It's so laughably mundane that Peonypaw finds himself looking over the apprentices and kits' endeavours fondly. Rocks. Gathering rocks, of all things, stacking them upon one another just to do something with your paws. A waste of time, especially when it comes to 'paws who are already able to leave camp. Always something to do for your Clan.

Even as he tells himself this and sniffs in silent judgment, he doesn't tear his gaze away or rise to his paws to do something productive.

It might be the kit in him, the one he was not even that long ago, the same one that he had pushed away and down in his mind until it couldn't speak for him anymore. It might be, but Peonypaw decides not to linger on it too much.

"Here. I found one," he offers, voice quiet just like always, paw stretched towards Periwinklepaw and Scorchkit. A dark gray, almost black stone, smooth and shiny in the sunlight. It might as well be used for a tower instead of being buried in the long grass.

I DON'T WANT TO RUN JUST OVERWHELM ME

❀​ I FEEL SCARED AND I'M STARTING TO SINK ❀​
periwinklebreeze | 11 months | demi-boy | he/they | physically medium (pacifist) | mentally easy | attack in bold #ccccff
Scorchkit suggests making a tower, and the boy nods along in agreement - that'd be a fun way to spend the time, trying to get them all lines up and balanced just so. "Mhm, th-that's a nice one," he agrees, staring at the rock she's found for a moment. He hasn't seen one like it in a while, and it's almost enough to keep him from remembering what they're doing. "S-sure - it's h-harder than it look's, s-so the help would be nice," he says softly, surprising evenn himself with how much he is speaking today. Perhaps he's growing more comfortable with his clanmates after all. "w-wolfsong-gs g-g-g-good at it," Soft paws place the first two stones easily enough, flat as they are, but the next part a problem, leaving him frowning - they only have two. Peonypaw seems to come to the rescue at that moment, and he grins brightly. "th-thanks - sc-scorchkit, do you wanna' put th-this one on?" it was the child's idea after all, wouldn't she want to help too?