ORDER IN THE COURT [🗡️] snailpaw

dfkjvp3-d66fda25-9d8d-4dbd-9a5f-d235254b8f50.gif
Claws tap against stone and a glare that could kill stares pointedly at the entrance to her den. Most of the filth have been picked clean from her ranks, but their damage had not fully been repaired. Apprentices who once belonged to disloyal mentors were brainwashed, convinced that WindClan was everything that it was not. Convinced that this clan was not home and that their true family did not lie here. Thanks to Firefang, she has uncovered that one apprentice in particular has spoken poorly... the term "pulling a Dandy" even leaving his maw. It frightens her.

Surrounding her are her is all of her council, sans Vulturemask as she didn't feel the medicine cat would privy being bothered for this affair. She feels its important to include them when questioning traitors, or cats at risk. They've since been briefed on everything Firefang has told her, and Tigerfrost was warned to be prepared to get busy with a new project.

"Snailpaw. Please sit." Sootstar directs the mossy spare bed to the apprentice upon their entrance. "Do you know... why you've been brought here?" The smokey she-cat hardly gives him a chance to reply before she continues, "It's because we've been informed that you've... stated some alarming thoughts to fellow apprentices of yours. Thoughts of abandoning WindClan, verbalizing your doubts in me." The fur along her neck bristles but no further signs of hostility show.

"Do you deny this? Do not lie to me, Snailpaw."

// @SNAILPAW
alsooo... @WEASELCLAW @SUNSTRIDE @Badgermoon @WOLFSONG @TIGERFROST (optional tags)

57376414_z9vtUtAYThkuXA6.png

( primary character / "speech" / ic opinions )

57376371_qgIErNkkmbCZArJ_6.png
╰ ★ ჻ 001 GENERAL INFORMATION ,
· SOOTSTAR, female — she / her
╰ ‣ 37 moons . pisces. ages on the first
╰ ‣ windclan leader . marsh-born . believes in starclan
╰ ‣ former soldier of the marsh group

57376371_qgIErNkkmbCZArJ_3.png
╰ ★ ჻ 002 VISUALS & AESTHETICS ,
· DOMESTIC FELINE, smells like heather and wet dirt , status — 100%
╰ ‣ blue smoke . scarred chest, difficult to see through fur . green eyes

57376371_qgIErNkkmbCZArJ_4.png
╰ ★ ჻ 003 MENTALITY & MANNERISMS ,
· ESTJ-A ❝ EXECTUTIVE ❞ , Slytherin, Lawful Evil
╰ ‣ Cunning, brash, fierce, confident, self-reliant, envious & selfish
╰ ‣ finds great difficulty in relating to others . can be cruel, usually shows mercy to those she can find sympathy with
╰ ‣ sole key to her heart is loyalty, if you have her trust, she often shows a completely different side of herself. Aggression tends to manifest from her extreme paranoia
╰ ‣ Appreciates titles such as "miss, m'am" etc

57376371_qgIErNkkmbCZArJ_5.png
╰ ★ ჻ 004 INTERACTIONS & RELATIONSHIPS ,
· SOOT CLAW x PEBBLE BREEZE, sister to Pebblenose
╰ ‣ heterosexual. mate to Weaselclaw
╰ ‣ mother to Windstrider, Sootchaser, Moorkit, Adderkit, Harrierkit, Bluekit & Cottonkit
╰ ‣ mentor to Smokepaw
╰ ‣ average fighter . skilled hunter .
╰ ‣ will start fights . unlikely to flee .
╰ ‣ attack in underline . penned by user @ava.

Tags and Information

Ah, Snailpaw. It seemed there was one last snake in the grass, as it were. He's not surprised. For as long as he has known the apprentice, Snailpaw has achieved... well, nothing. Failing to appease their previous mentor. Collapsing in the middle of a duel with Weaselclaw. And now, this? Tigerfrost is entirely certain that Snailpaw hasn't even bothered trying. He doesn't trust that apprentice, doesn't like them, certainly has no hope for them. As of yet, Snailpaw had not proven Tigerfrost's theories incorrect. What they did next would surely determine whether or not they would even be given that second chance.

The chimera looms nearby, eyes glowing in the shade as he observes in cold silence. Sootstar's words cause the fur on the back of his neck to rise in agitation. Abandoning WindClan, talking about disloyalty to Sootstar behind her back. Behind all of their backs. Did the apprentice not trust in the stars? Did they even care for clan life at all? Had they no respect for StarClan, or WindClan as a whole? Perhaps Dandelionwish had poisoned their mind. Perhaps, in their young age, they could still be convinced to shape up and prove their loyalty. But after Coyotepaw's disappearance, Tigerfrost is not so sure about second chances, even for ones so young. If Sootstar herself could not sway Coyotepaw, how could any of them be expected to change Snailpaw? But, stars willing, Tigerfrost would do what was necessary. Whatever Sootstar decreed on this day, he would carry out without an ounce of mercy.

It was not often that Badgermoon was in Sootstar's den, or - indeed - inside a den at all. So the broad-shouldered tom felt somewhat uneasy being here in the first place, even before he took into account why he was here. As Sootstar's second-in-command he understood why it was essential for him to be here, and why it was crucial for him to agree with her decisions (didn't he have a scar on his chest just to remind him of that?), but that didn't help the slight twist in his gut as he studied Snailpaw: blue eyes, tousled fur. They're just a kid. he thought, a pensive light in his yellow eyes. They must not know exactly what they're saying, is all. I'm glad we're doing this, this is good - we'll get things all squared away, they'll get back to training, become a warrior...it would all work out. The deputy did not permit himself to dwell on what would happen if things didn't work out. They simply would. He cared about Snailpaw and he existed to serve WindClan and StarClan, and he did so by carrying out Sootstar's orders. These things were not mutually exclusive. It'll be fine. Maintaining a solemn expression, Badgermoon nonetheless sought to make eye contact with the apprentice and give an encouraging nod of his head.

[ lil content warning for some internalised ableism and (potential) similarities to disassociation ]

Snailpaw had been in trouble enough times to know that a summon was seldom a good thing. Their steps dragged on the way to Sootstar's den, the promise of a martyrdom they didn't want to fulfill waiting at the peak of the Tallrock. Before they entered, they looked to the horizon, swiftly reminiscing of each thought of freedom they'd felt upon running on the moors. Now, like the camp itself, the territory felt like a gilded cage. They regarded it with a conflicted nod and ducked their head as they took their first step into the darkness. Snailpaw was but a small blotch on the light that pierced the den, they took a moment to adjust to the new light and felt the fur bristle across their spine upon meeting Sootstar's form. It was then that they noticed the shadows had eyes, some pierced yellow like the forever-watching stars, others seemed softer, the feathers of a queen's nest. In this room, it had to be expected that all those easy comforts were hiding thorns. With slouched shoulders and too scared to protect themselves, the marbled tabby moved on auto-pilot to the spare bed. How easy it would be to block their only escape route, they noticed grimly.

Uneasily, they fell back on their haunches, their ears full of roaring blood. Their clan thought them dumb, but even Snailpaw could see that they were not brought here on good terms. The faces of the lead warriors were hollow and cruel, the tabby swore they saw them lean in like canines waiting for their master's approval to feast. They looked just below Sootstar's icy gaze, the emerald eyes of the apprentice growing wide as she began to explain why they'd be summoned. What?! They'd been expecting a reprimand of some kind, but not this. They racked their brain for an explanation, where the hell had Sootstar learned their innermost thoughts? He wondered if she were truly StarClan's prophet and if he'd been wrong to doubt the cruelty of the world because it came straight from a chosen one's mouth. Then, they remembered a conversation they'd had days prior to WindClan's meeting where they'd expressed to a special someone that WindClan was likely to kill them.

Firefang.

They're frozen, yet they feel the whole den spin. They're salivating, they realise, as they try to avoid collapsing to the leader's paws. They want to be sick but nothing, not even the words that could've saved them, dared to come out. They squeeze their eyes shut and keep them closed for far too long as if knowing that when they opened again, all they would see was blood and darkness. The black of a blink was alleviated by images of themselves running across empty fields, only, they saw flashes of malice at erratic intervals that left their heart jolting with each awful sight. His friend, his damned best friend, had sacrificed him for a promotion. It was difficult to focus on the gravity of their location when all they could think was 'why?' Her callousness and tormenting nature may have been clues to anyone else, all the classic tabby had seen when she acted that way was a vulnerable cat who had endured different hardships to them but was molded by it all the same. Just as soon as drool threatened to escape between their gaping jaws, their throat dried, leaving the apprentice's first words cracked and low-pitched.

"I... I'm..." Just as soon as they'd admitted that WindClan would kill them, Firefang was trying to speed the process up. Stars above, they wanted to cry. They'd been so strong for so long, they felt as if they deserved a shot to yell at the heavens and proclaim that it was all unfair, but they also knew it was a vulnerability that would be predated on in a flash. It was ironic that showing just a bit more of their heart may just save them in this den of lions, their lies would be torn through with iron claws if they even tried defending themselves. 'If I survive today... I hope StarClan takes you before me... friend' "I... I never..." Never what? Never said that they didn't trust Sootstar? Never said that they didn't want to run away? Lies, both of them, but lies to preserve the one thing that mattered more than the clan: their own life. Now more than ever they felt like a selfish, worthless creature, willing to abandon their own family so their tail wasn't turned into crowfood but... Clambite was strong, stronger than they ever were. She had a place in WindClan - what place did they have when they couldn't even spar with a clanmate without panicking?

They cleared their throat and swallowed their spit, grimacing at the pain in their jowls. When their eyes opened again, the light was gone from them. There was a vacancy there that was only one step above death, their narrowed pupils refusing to move even as the shadows of the den seemed to contort and close in. He didn't need to be a medicine cat to read his future in this den, but if he was to be torn apart by a pack of dogs, he'd rather his mind not be there at all. The part that wanted to flee was overshadowed by their stone paws glued to the surface of the earth and the allure of subconsciousness that drove them to speak whatever they needed to survive. "I don't doubt you... Sootstar, I doubt m-myself. Dandy- Dandelion had outlived his usefulness when he tried to leave a-and... he was gonna be killed. Where does that leave me? No cat here takes me seriously and t-trying gets me labeled as some freak with a headsickness. I love my clan, b-but... I don't want to be sacrificed... not before I've learned what it is to love and be loved. StarClan made me this way for a reason, right? L-let me find that reason, don't kill me... please."

The cold heart imprisoned in her chest typically did not beat in times such as these. The blue smoke believes in Firefang, Snailpaw must’ve spoken filthy words and they must be plagued with thoughts of abandoning their clan. She has every intent to pull out every trick in the book no matter how difficult of a path it would create for the apprentice if it meant forging a proper warrior out of him.

Perhaps she wouldn’t have to pull much at all, the pressure of her council and their gazes upon the culprit was enough for him to crack. Barely can he spit words out of his mouth, but Sootstar waits, a claw still idly tapping against the stone. Click… click… click… it rhythmically sounds, how many taps against the rock would it take?

Then it all comes gushing out, it’s not an outright confession- maybe even a little bit of denial, but she can smell the guilt. Hardly does her heart quiver until he mutters their last wish, don’t kill me… please. Sootstar shouldn’t be, but she’s stunned, they think they’ve been brought here for execution? Sootstar has punished before for speaking out of turn, she’s maimed- blinded even for it, but this was Snailpaw’s first offense. He was young, the traitor and impure thoughts within could be worked out of him with some work.

She shakes her head, ”Hush now, you are not here to be killed, that is not even in question.” Her feathery tail folds around her paws as she searches for the right words to say… ”Traitors have run rampant in WindClan and I believe they have finally been weeded out. It’s only… natural that those traitors have managed to brainwash felines into thinking this clan is an evil that it is not. You have fallen victim to their schemes, we can make it right again.”

”And let me make myself clear, Snailpaw. I do not kill petty offenders, I may hiss and I may snarl, perhaps a repeated offender will meet my claws. I only kill cats who have betrayed, cats like Emberfang who I exiled long ago, who have made official attempts in uprooting me, to put my clan in danger. Cats like Dandelionwish, death to him, who have earned StarClan’s scorn for being so scheming and snake-ish. I don’t kill cats like Snailpaw, who have only talked after being influenced by the real fangs of evil.” She inhales sharply, perhaps some would still call these methods brutal, but soft as kittypets those felines were. The world was unforgiving and sometimes you had to be to to protect all that you’ve built. ”Is that understood? Quit your trembling, rise, straighten your spine, you are WindClan and we do not cower.” Perhaps part of the issue was Snailpaw’s lack in self-confidence, they would put some ego into him.

”Now… let’s get on the right track. Tigerfrost will be your new mentor, he will help you get to where you need to be. He will unteach you everything wrong you have learned and before we know it you will at last get a warrior name suiting for a loyal feline.“ She nods to Tigerfrost, the task would be difficult but she has confidence he can handle it. Perhaps it was his first test to see if he could handle being a member of her council. ”You feel like you are not taken seriously… well I promise you Snailpaw, by the time Tigerfrost is done with you no apprentice nor warrior in WindClan will think of you as a freak again.”

╰ ‣ finds great difficulty in relating to others . can be cruel, usually shows mercy to those she can find sympathy with
╰ ‣ sole key to her heart is loyalty, if you have her trust, she often shows a completely different side of herself. Aggression tends to manifest from her extreme paranoia

╰ ‣ mother to Windstrider, Sootchaser, Moorkit, Adderkit, Harrierkit, Bluekit & Cottonkit
╰ ‣ mentor to Smokepaw

It should've been comforting to have their accountability taken away. Sootstar's tone felt calculated and deliberate to the blue tabby, yet she spoke like it was not their fault for walking the wrong path to adulthood. They were called a victim, and told they were simply influenced by evil and could be fixed. The words were like an embrace, tempting Snailpaw forwards with the promise that they could find a family in WindClan where their own was otherwise fractured and limited to just three cats.

They were just promises, he had to remind himself before he made a deal with StarClan's chosen. Promises that did not align with the past.

They remembered Firefang, how she'd spent all that time convincing him that she had his best interests in mind, only to sell them out. They remembered touching noses with their first mentor with the promise of greatness, only to be left with scars both physical and mental. A WindClan cat would not cower, but they were no WindClan cat, were they? To their peers, they were the perpetual apprentice, to the outsiders and warriors alike, they were an annoyance. WindClan blood did not flow through their veins yet they knew no other place than the one that made them feel like an alien. The tabby's muscles move, locking their head uprights, but it felt like another lie to say that the words had inspired a newfound confidence in the tabby. Their jaw was so taut that it threatened to snap, their strained eyes staring off into the void where they knew the lead warriors sat. Weaselclaw... Sunstride... Wolfsong... Badgermoon. Their stomach flipped again, almost threatening a slouch from the apprentice again, but they reminded themselves that they just needed to be brave a little longer. A little longer and they could leave to find the privacy to weep and weep until the moon sat high in the sky.

But, Badgermoon was not the comforting sight he had once been - not when friends were turning on friends. Who was to say that the tuxedo tom wouldn't betray him next? Their gaze finally settled on Tigerfrost. Firefang's inspiration, they'd gathered from overhearing each other's actions. The clan would not put their fangs to his throat, but they still put him on a journey to an earlier grave. Despondent as Sootstar tried to build them up, the she-cat's words seemed to go in one ear and out the other, the world around them a haze. It took a few seconds to remember how to nod, when they did, the gesture was uncertain, there to please but not to indicate true belief. After everything that had happened, it would take more than words to fix them. They needed time. Not days, not moons, time - who knew if WindClan could give them that luxury after how much they'd wasted running away from Shrikewing and talking to snakes?

They were so dizzy they could faint at any moment. 'Not much longer... Not much longer...' Their own nest felt more comforting than the vow, they could bury their face within it and tell it all of their secrets and it wouldn't tell the one animal that didn't need to hear them. "Very well." Snailpaw mewed, sounding utterly out of it. Instinct would preserve the body the mind was seemingly trying to abandon. "I'm... I'm sorry ma'am. Is... am I... Can..." They smacked their teeth together after minutes of having a slack jaw. Nothing felt real, eas this what it meant to be apathetic to the feelings of others? Was this how Firefang felt all the time? They could understand, however briefly, why such numbness was so addicting. It hurt far less than confronting the truth with a clear head. At that moment in time though, it was a vice, leaving them barely able to speak without stumbling over their own words. "Was that all?"

Weaselclaw sits with a stoic expression beside his deputy and fellow lead warriors. Snailpaw stands trial before them, trembling, terror stark in his eyes, body shaking like a leaf in a strong gale. He almost feels pity for the blue tabby -- and it seems his mate does, as well, for she offers him a chance to right his traitorous words.

The tabby's ears twitch in particular at Snailpaw's assertion that their Clan finds them a freak with a headsickness. He knows what Snailpaw is referring to -- that pitiful spar, the way he'd dropped without provocation.

Weaselclaw ponders this for a moment. Perhaps Tigerfrost can make a brutal fighter out of this cat yet. "I know you have what it takes," he says, his voice gruff as ever. There is no warmth in his words, his tone, but a faint gleam burns in blue eyes. "Even though you could not win your spar against me, you got up and tried again. Once Tigerfrost has trained you, we can rematch."

It's a concession -- but also a test, a challenge. Weaselclaw is disturbed by Snailpaw's verbal betrayal of his mate, but he wants the young feline to be successful, to serve their Clan with a strong heart and stronger claws.

Weaselclaw does not say anything further; he defers to Badgermoon or Sootstar to dismiss Snailpaw as they see fit.

[ PENNED BY MARQUETTE ]

teenysun
He is curled towards the back of the den, silence and shadow overtaking his fiery form. However many moons he may find himself graced with a space within Sootstar's den, there will remain a sense of unease. The others worry about standing before the paws of a prophet, a walking god– he fears the jaws of fate, which he is achingly aware of. Whether they are wielded by Sootstar or the gleaming pelt of ancestors far above their heads, he cannot say. But it is here that he is tied to, here that he may find answers to all that plagued him.

There were a great many things to be asked and answered in this den. While he rests here in shadow, recalling all that he knew of Snailpaw, he finds himself nearly wishing that he could be who he was once, pulling the apprentice from the worst of his duties with charm and a smile. Now it would seem he is one of those sending him to his doom. Though he sits just out of Sootstar's range of sight, aside from the vague outline of his flicking tail (he did not wish to pull attention from her, from the words that she shares), he is careful with his face. Pale, soft eyes do not leave Snailpaw's. There is no rage, but neither does he allow lingering sympathy. There must be nothing he can lean to but Sootstar's affirmations. Her words are what will keep him afloat, her words will make this right.

"You have much to learn," he begins, the gentle pressure of a paw to a hidden bruise, "but this does not make you worthy of another's ire. Take to your teachings with determination: they will keep you alive when you meet what truly threatens our clan."
border2.png

• ooc:
  • SUNSTRIDE. named for his coloration and his bold chasing of fate.
    —— cis male, he - him. thirty-six moons old. lead warrior of windclan and former rogue.
    —— gay, but somewhat closeted. will not be open about his interests.  single, will be so.
    —— seems comparatively stranger than who he was some moons ago, serious and cool.

sunstride is broad and bold– a creature standing above most of windclan, though not a beast beyond its borders, with fur that flames red at its base and deepens to a burnt amber with every whorl and stripe. his eyes, in comparison, are a pale summer's blue, still as bold as the rest of him.
  • "speech"

──⇌•〘 INFO Wolfsong does not loom or even sit with his chin tipped; like Sunstride, he occupies the background shadow, though he has maintained a careful distance between them. He leans against the wall, partly slouched, head slightly lowered, though he knows his skulking is likely no less frightening than Tigerfrost and Weaselclaw's poses. Especially given their overwrought state, nerves clearly frayed even after Sootstar offers assurance that they will not be harshly punished— merely re-educated.

Elevated to a true warrior of WindClan under Tigerfrost's tutelage. He worries, suddenly, of his own apprentice and what might happen if Wolfsong's teaching is deemed ineffective. Would they be reassigned to a cat like Tigerfrost? Houndthistle? Sunstride?

His jaw clenches as said cat addresses Snailpaw gently. What truly threatens WindClan? Enemy warriors? Starvation? Clanmates who cannot be trusted? He barely manages to repress a sneer at the memory.

Wolfsong says nothing, waiting for Sootstar to release Snailpaw from their discussion.

Tags and Information

His eyes are piercing as Snailpaw finally realizes just what is happening, faced with the grim questions from Sootstar's fanged maw. The apprentice goes on to speak of doubt, not of the leader herself, but of themselves. Tigerfrost remains silent as the conversation goes on, listening with a judgmental expression, and eyes that glowed with suspicion. In the past, he might have been more inclined to give Snailpaw the benefit of the doubt. Coyotepaw's betrayal had changed that, though. Now Tigerfrost is not so sure that he can trust any cat who speaks treacherous venom whenever the clan's higher positions aren't looking. The chimera tabby would have been content with hearing Snailpaw's exile on this day, but no. The youth is given another chance. They are told that they are a merely a victim, that there is still worthiness within their veins, a loyalty yet undiscovered.

Tigerfrost is nominated as Snailpaw's newest mentor, seeing as how the last had so clearly failed in their task to train the apprentice. He looks to Sootstar for a moment, and then back at Snailpaw, contemplative from where he loomed like an icy statue in the shadow nearby. If she really believed that there was hope for the apprentice, then so be it. Tigerfrost would do what he could to nurture whatever loyalty Snailpaw might have. Perhaps he could shape the apprentice into a decent Warrior, with enough time. But it would not be an easy road for either of them. Tigerfrost was distrustful, and he had never been considered very kind to those he disliked. His gruff and brutal attitude did not seem to bother most of WindClan. But Snailpaw was not most of WindClan. No, they were a dying remnant of Dandelionwish's blooms. A wilted petal discarded upon the wind, left to die far from it's stem. Whether or not something new could be sprouted and grown in it's place is yet to be determined.

But... if there was hope, Tigerfrost would find it. He had no intentions of disappointing his leader, or his ancestors in the stars. Sunstride and Weaselclaw offer some encouragement, but the half-faced lead warrior grants Snailpaw none. He merely stares with eyes of fire, before he rises to his paws at last, tail sweeping through the cool air as thunder drips past his toothy maw, "We have much work to do, it seems." He comments rather icily toward Snailpaw, "But if you are truly WindClan, In body or in spirit, then you will endure. You will grow into something worthy of being called a Warrior." After all, he knew his clan to be hardy and strong. WindClan did not give up, they did not lay down and surrender. No, they fought hard for everything they had, and they learned from their mistakes. If Snailpaw could prove they had what it took to be considered a loyal WindClanner, then they'd surely earn their name in time.

Now, his flaming eyes shift toward Sootstar as he addresses her with confidence, "I will present them to you, when they have finally proven they have the heart of a WindClan warrior." He assures. Not an if, but a when. Tigerfrost has no intentions of failing Sootstar. He has no intentions of letting Snailpaw slip away as Coyotepaw had. No, the apprentice would learn their worth as a WindClanner, would grow to become something his clan could speak about with pride. Or, if they chose to act on their words, and truly betray WindClan, then Tigerfrost would have no qualms about killing Snailpaw himself.

The council remains quiet or give words of encouragement, she nods approvingly. When Tigerfrost speaks she grows pleased and further confident in her choice to allow the tabby to fix up this apprentice’s mind and spirit. ”Good. I hope to see Snailpaw promoted within the next few moons if not sooner.”

Snailpaw stammers another apology prior to asking if that would be all, dismissively she flicks her tail, ”Yes, nothing else. Thank you for your willingness to help us set things right, you are dismissed.”

╰ ‣ mentor to Smokepaw