OVER THE GARDEN WALL TO YOU \ joining?

જ➶ She can't stop the loud and audible gasp that leaves her throat, especially after hearing what is happening. Is this really really the truth? Didn't they have that rule for a reason? And if so then why can Dawnglare break it like that? Doesn't he care about the warrior code? Her muzzle almost pouts a bit as she tries to make sense of all of this and she tries very hard to bite her tongue. Yeah, just don't say anything and let the adults handle it. But Blazestar just seems so mad. There is a reason though given what she heard had happened to give rise to the rule. One's clan comes first, can't have a mate in a different clan cause that's confusion. The fawn girl steps back and forth and she shuffles her paws, glancing at every and then away again. Oh, she wonders at what Starclan will think. Oh. Her already thick pelt fluffs up in a bit of terror at the idea that they could show displeasure in the same way at the gathering.

"They...they couldn't be that angry. It's not Starclan's rule. But it's still a broken rule." What is she even saying. Of course they couldn't be angry and no one had said anything about Starclan but this is their medicine cat and they are breaking the leader's ruling, one that every clan has adopted. It's the same. Right?

The voices of their Clanmates recede into the background, becoming static, white noise. It seems, for a moment, the only cats in the world right now are Blazestar and Dawnglare. He'd thought Dawnglare would show remorse for breaking the warrior code -- for violating the code Blazestar's daughter had died for -- but he goes nose to nose with his leader, voice fiery. "He is my mate." The word is crushing. Mate. Mate! "I've done nothing!"

"You've broken the warrior code," he hisses back into Dawnglare's unapologetic face. "You've brought an enemy to my borders and declared him mate." His words mean nothing to Dawnglare, though, and he makes it very clear with the tirade he goes on.

Every word is like a thorn piercing Blazestar's heart. "I'm not... like you, I'm not." The accusatory tone causes the leader to flinch, to take a half-step backward. "Her body wept to the stars before my eyes!" The memory evoked is one of earth-shattering grief, and he cannot succumb to it. He is battered further by Dawnglare's lack of sympathy. He says Blazestar mopes like a wayward spirit. He accuses him--him!--of not wanting him to be happy.

"I never would have denied you a mate, you fool," he says, some of the fire extinguished from his voice. What remains is heartbreak, a skeleton picked clean by corvids, laid bare to the sky. "How can you say I don't want you to be happy? How can you say that?"

Blazestar's ears begin to fall. Another memory strikes at him, of kitten paws against glass. Two pairs of blue eyes peering through a manmade screen.

The screen is built entirely by their own paws now, and Blazestar is crushed by the knowledge that he cannot break his way beneath it. Not ever again.

His eyes flick to the WindClan warrior, the fool who clings and clings to Dawnglare like a burr in his pelt. "You'll do anything?" He parrots. "You've done more damage than you can ever know." Blazestar looks again at Dawnglare, resignation painted across his features. "You may choose. You can send this cat away and remain loyal to your leader and your Clan, or you can break it all, and I will let him join."

Blazestar knows what Dawnglare will choose, can see the protective way he'd touched the warrior's fur, the defensive posture he'd taken when Blazestar had ordered the tom to leave. It's love, a love Blazestar had known once and will never know again.

In Dawnglare's place, would he have chosen differently?

He doesn't know. He can't possibly know.

[ PENNED BY MARQUETTE ]

Figpaw's voice whines like a gnat in his ear. What he'd give to rip her tongue clean off with no further effort needed but that very thought. Too-far, though, and too kind– he directs the burning to his friend, instead. (Was that what he was, a friend? Or did he only have the pale body beside him to rely on?) Mallowlark is heaven's oasis within a howling pit of living filth. He smiles through it all, and what monster could possibly do the same? (Stupid, the assumption is stupid.) Holy thing in the face of a nightmare. And that itself works strangely. To think this wasn't a thing borne of sleep-addled stupor. The screams, the shrieking– he's heard it all, but never would he have thought–

His heart jumps as Blazestar hisses back to him. It only shows in the slight widening of his eyes. His teeth are still bared, the hellfire still flaming, but oh, something about it makes him want to gouge out his own eyes and peel his own skin clean off. "And I tell you, he is no enemy! Listen! Listen, listen, listen, for once!" A hint of desperateness dips into his words. His mouth is moving quicker than he can think, now. It's falling apart. Blaise's face falls into this hollow vessel like it kills him. Dawnglare knows better. Oh, he knows.

I never would have denied you a mate, you fool, A fool for what? What, possibly–? "What do you think you're doing now, then? What? Do you think I picked the wrong one?" He bristles at the words he's stuffed into Blazestar's own mouth, furious at that very idea, the proclamation– "Open your ears! You're saying it now," he spits, eyes flared wide in his indignance. Was he so frail and broken that he couldn't grasp his own words on his sharpened tongue? Liar, liar. Dawnglare won't think what he wants him to think. He's choking on his own spit. He wanted to claw at his own chest.

And anger gives way to an unplaceable fear with each passing second. Blaise sinks into himself as if his own foolishness wasn't the thing pushing the other away. Dawnglare cannot move for a moment. Cannot speak– He's thinking of green pastures and tiny feet treading upon them, ideas preached from the gait that wound round them all.

He returns to put a paw in between his mate and Blazestar, eyes rounded with newfound distrust. And, confusion when– "What?" Heavy-boiled shock is not subtle on his face. A parted jaw and bewildered eyes is what he meets Blaise with. When did this become about choices? "Or?" he echoes. "Nothing is keeping me from you both but your own tragic self," he bites, growing louder with every word, now. Distress rings clear on his face. Frantic paws rap at the ground. Bristled fur gives him the appearance of a frightened beast; backed into a corner, nearly ready to begin slashing at anything he could just for the sake of it. "Why must it be either or, Blaise? Are you so stupid? So insecure–?" He swallows the bile in his throat. "T-to think that I– that I can't care about you both?"

Silence follows after that crescendo of voice. Nearly trembling limbs, he stares fear-faced. Whatever it was he was shaking with did not last. Oh so slowly, his fur begins to flatten along his spine. He grounds himself in the earth below, gripping, then not. His eyes are scrunched into something pitiful, but he continues to wear his frown. He's tired.

"You're a damned fool," he hisses the words with the last receding traces of his anger, and he'd turn his head to the rest of them. "All– every last one of you."

Dawnglare is in no hurry to turn back to Blazestar; and when he does, his eyes are hollow. Never in all his life would Dawnglare heal any rogue. Any WindClanner, any RiverClanner– none of them are so important. But upon Blazestar's own empty-headed terms, he supposes his loyalty would be long gone. "Loyalty means nothing to you, so why keep trying?"

He flicks his tail dismissively, and with a hollow sigh, he sinks back into the warmth of Mallowlark's side. It's all he would need.

IMG_0038.gif

After her initial wail Figpaw grows silent, every drop of blood in her vein running cold as she listened to her leader and medicine cat. Seeing them against each other was so… unreal, like it should be impossible for the two SkyClan founders to quarrel.

The girl is certain her jaw goes agape when Blazestar presents Dawnglare with an ultimatum, saying that he will have to break it all for the WindClanner to join the clan. Bewildered she looks to Daisyflight, what did that mean? Break it all? Did it mean trust? Loyalty? His position in the clan as medicine cat? Figpaw’s head races, confident that despite Dawnglare’s oddities that he was SkyClan to the bone… He would never give up any part of them for a WindClan cat- no matter how much Dawnglare loved him he must love SkyClan more!

Loyalty means nothing to you, so why keep trying?

He sinks back into the body of his white coated mate, and in turn Figpaw finds herself leaning into Daisyflight’s side. How could this be? How could he say that?! Despite the shock that courses through her she keeps quiet, what was Blazestar going to do?

55417772_ks6HUyroX73gwyT.png

( primary character / "speech" / ic opinions )

╰ ★ ჻ 001 GENERAL INFORMATION ,
· FIGPAW, AMAB — she / her
╰ ‣ 11 moons .
╰ ‣ skyclan apprentice . believes in starclan

╰ ★ ჻ 002 VISUALS & AESTHETICS ,
· DOMESTIC FELINE, smells like pine nettles & sap, status — 100%
╰ ‣ A red tabby she-cat with orange eyes. Mangled right hind leg.

╰ ★ ჻ 003 MENTALITY & MANNERISMS ,
· ENFP-A ❝
CAMPAIGNER❞ , Gryfindor, Lawful Good
╰ ‣ Excitable, generous, caring, quick-to-act, distrusting, resentful
╰ ‣ finds relative ease relating to others . kind-hearted, will show mercy
╰ ‣ cats of windclan blood or those she deems morally inferior will be met with her ire

╰ ★ ჻ 004 INTERACTIONS & RELATIONSHIPS ,
· NPC X DAISYFLIGHT, sister to Greenpaw, Violetpaw, Snowpaw & Butterflypaw
╰ ‣ Pansexual . mistakes admiration for romantic feelings
╰ ‣ Crushing on Fanta
╰ ‣ Apprentice to Tallulahwing
╰ ‣ good fighter . excellent hunter .
╰ ‣ unlikely to start fights . will flee .
╰ ‣ attack in underline . penned by user @ava.